Reservation Dropped!

My family and I have a cruise planned for 14 of us with 7 rooms. The main couple that planned this is a platinum CA member with RC and got everything planned. Well she gets a phone call today from our TA and the TA says that her PAID reservation has been bumped to an international travel agent booking an international passenger in their room! The room has been reserved for a while and paid for over a month ago. Its just a standard balcony room on the 9th deck (not likes it the only room of its kind). Well, they bumped them to the room next door to their original room and gave them 100 bucks shipboard credit. She could not believe RC would do such a thing and who the heck is this "international passenger" that got their room? Since our TA said she did all she could do with RC its now out of her hands. Now our family member has to complain further if shes not happy. Well, a call has been placed to RC complaining about this rotten treatment.

Has anyone ever experienced such a thing. I know people get bumped and/or upgraded to a better room, but the room they offered them is a balcony room without a pullout couch/bed, so my guess is its smaller?

My family and I have a cruise planned for 14 of us with 7 rooms. The main couple that planned this is a platinum CA member with RC and got everything planned. Well she gets a phone call today from our TA and the TA says that her PAID reservation has been bumped to an international travel agent booking an international passenger in their room! The room has been reserved for a while and paid for over a month ago. Its just a standard balcony room on the 9th deck (not likes it the only room of its kind). Well, they bumped them to the room next door to their original room and gave them 100 bucks shipboard credit. She could not believe RC would do such a thing and who the heck is this "international passenger" that got their room? Since our TA said she did all she could do with RC its now out of her hands. Now our family member has to complain further if shes not happy. Well, a call has been placed to RC complaining about this rotten treatment.

Has anyone ever experienced such a thing. I know people get bumped and/or upgraded to a better room, but the room they offered them is a balcony room without a pullout couch/bed, so my guess is its smaller?

Is their new cabin the same or different catogory than the other cabin?

If it's the same category and they're only moving one cabin over, I wouldn't sweat about it. A hundred bucks will buy them an excursion or some foo foo drinks. It's weird that they do these things but it doesn't sound like they're being inconvenienced much. If they had a cabin with a pull out but there's only two of them in it they were likely moved to allow for a party of three.

Well, they are travelling with their daughter and her boyfriend (in another room across the hall) so the couch may come in useful at some point.

Can't predict those things ;)

I just don't understand how RC can just change your reservation like that. Then offer a crappy credit. You select the room you want and thats that. I understand its their ship, but we are paying for it and have paid for it already. If they are going to change your room then they should at least upgrade you a category, not give you a room that has something lacking that the originally selected room?

It's listed in the terms and conditions. The room was being used by two people and they needed it for someone who had more than 2. They are allowed to change your room without compensation when they need a cabin that has more beds in it.

Usually, that's why they have the guarantees, so they can easily move someone. Obviously, in this case there wasn't a guarantee that they could move. Frankly $100 to move one cabin over is a pretty good deal.

I just don't understand how RC can just change your reservation like that. Then offer a crappy credit. You select the room you want and thats that. I understand its their ship, but we are paying for it and have paid for it already. If they are going to change your room then they should at least upgrade you a category, not give you a room that has something lacking that the originally selected room?[/

If you think you got the rotten egg, look at this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=551218

Ann

Same category, right next door, but without the pullout couch/bed.

Most likely, they were booked as two people in a cabin that accomodates three or four? If a family needed that cabin, they simply moved the couple to a room without the extra bed, as you said. No big deal. They got 100 big ones to celebrate with, and a cabin just as good. Sounds like a windfall to me, not a bump!

Have a GREAT cruise!

Sorry but in my honest opinion you sound a little ungrateful about the 100 bucs.... sorry about your room change but like other posters its one room over and you dont need the bed so whats the big deal..... your still cruising, you have 100 extra dollars.. your on the same deck.... sounds to me like you want to have the owners suite for being bumped next door.... sorry RCCL doesnt work that way... i dont even think they have an upgrade fairy anymore or at least i haven't seen her...

Take what you got and run with it....

It's listed in the terms and conditions. The room was being used by two people and they needed it for someone who had more than 2. They are allowed to change your room without compensation when they need a cabin that has more beds in it.

Usually, that's why they have the guarantees, so they can easily move someone. Obviously, in this case there wasn't a guarantee that they could move. Frankly $100 to move one cabin over is a pretty good deal.

I gotta agree here--it is in the contract and a hundred bucks isn't bad for moving just one room over! Plus, if you've ever slept on one of those pull-out couches then you might agree that RCCL ought to pay passengers for the privilege of those sleeping arrangements! ;)

Any evidence that the international passenger's reservation wasn't paid-in-full first? Could also be the reason that your family member got bumped. I hope that all 14 of you have a wonderful cruise and don't make anyone feel poorly about the room change--especially the people who got the original room since they may not even know that this happened.

You have an inaccurate title. The reservation was not dropped; there was a room change and a $100 credit--not bad. I could understand being upset if you had an aft or a hump cabin, but it doesn't sound like this is the case. There's no reason to be upset or angry about anything.

The "international clients" made the reservation this week, like in the last day or two. We have been paid since 4-15-07 and the rooms have been selected for almost a year!!

We are not looking for the owners suite at all, but don't drop the room level on a passenger, especially a past guest that has cruised many times with RC :confused:

I agree with Beth in her post above. Go on your trip with a good attitude and don't sweat the small stuff. Buy some extra drinks or trinkets with the extra $100 and have a great time. :D

Sher

We are not looking for the owners suite at all, but don't drop the room level on a passenger, especially a past guest that has cruised many times with RC :confused:

I guess Im confused then...without a chart in from of me if this is the same category in the same area then how do you figure you were dropped a level. is the SQ FT the same.the balcony is the same size. the bathroom is smaller???whats the difference all the hype is in regards to a bed/couch I would think having a chair would just give you more space to walk around in the cabin.. more more for gifts to bring home.; )

Please i understand you booked this room in the beginning but does it hold something special for you... you just got a 100 dollar couch...

I guess Im confused then...without a chart in from of me if this is the same category in the same area then how do you figure you were dropped a level. is the SQ FT the same.the balcony is the same size. the bathroom is smaller???whats the difference all the hype is in regards to a bed/couch I would think having a chair would just give you more space to walk around in the cabin.. more more for gifts to bring home.; )

Please i understand you booked this room in the beginning but does it hold something special for you... you just got a 100 dollar couch...

It is the way RC handled it that is bothersome as well. They did not notify our TA. They sent out an email with a rate reduction today and our TA noticed that their room number had changed. RC never notified the TA of the room change. She found it and called. RC eventually said it was human error in the reservation system. So if its an error, correct it and bump the other reservation? After all they just made their reservation a couple days ago.

Its not the dumb couch, its the customer service, or lack thereof, in the way this was handled.

It is the way RC handled it that is bothersome as well.

Its not the dumb couch, its the customer service, or lack thereof, in the way this was handled.

I agree with you. RCCL is getting bad press on a few threads here. I wonder what is up with them?????? Bad way to run a business, imho.

I agree with Beth in her post above. Go on your trip with a good attitude and don't sweat the small stuff. Buy some extra drinks or trinkets with the extra $100 and have a great time. :D

Sher

I agree. I probably be happy if something like that happened to me.

I agree with you. RCCL is getting bad press on a few threads here. I wonder what is up with them?????? Bad way to run a business, imho.

On a side note, I love your phrase about the dog or a kid. We chose the DINK route with two dogs and are loving it :cool:

On a side note, I love your phrase about the dog or a kid. We chose the DINK route with two dogs and are loving it :cool:

Thanks!!! I love Rita Rudner and when I saw her quote, I just cracked up! My DH and I are also DINKS, but we have cats, instead of dogs!!!!! :)

Please keep us informed if you get any further info on what happened.

The "international clients" made the reservation this week, like in the last day or two. We have been paid since 4-15-07 and the rooms have been selected for almost a year!!

Sorry, but that's in the contract. You selected a room that can hold more people and you aren't using it. They need to make money to pay for the food, the entertainment, the ship, and the shareholders. It's be said over and over again, if your room has the maximum number of occupants, you are safe, if it doesn't, they can move you, without notice.

In fact, RCL is being considerate about it. They told you, they gave you compensate and unlike other cruise lines you didn't show up at the port only to be surprised that you were moved.

It has nothing to do with how often you have cruised. You could be the CEO of the cruise line.... if they need the room, you have to move. They need to maximize their revenue and if they weren't, they would have to answer to the shareholders.

Go with a good attitude and enjoy spending their $100.

Archived