Can you bring your own alcohol to the dining room?

pandabebe

Just had a quick question re: alcohol. If I order a bottle of Vodka through Princess can I bring it to the dining room to drink? Can I carry it around the ship? I'm assuming that if I smuggle alcohol onto the ship that I would have to hide it and drink in my room, so just wondering that if I buy it from Princess if I have the right to carry it around...hahahaha. :p

Well, umm, you joke but I kinda did that

I ordered a bottle of champagne for sailaway on our Caribbean Princess cruise last month not thinking that my sailing companion (DD Sydney) did not like champagne. Well what was I to do? It was opened and would go flat soon. So I walked around on deck enjoying sail away with that bottle and a champagne flute, enjoying what I had indeed purchased through Princess...

...until I realized how ridiculous I looked, set it down and moved along, stopping by a bar for a single-serve drink rather than carry around my multi-user beverage

Just curious, if you take your wine glasses or drink glasses from your cabin to the dining room and leave them there, does your steward wonder where they are or does the cruise line want to charge you for the missing items?

Like the rum in the water bottle idea! Or gin! Or gin and sweet vermouth! Although the olives might give it away. Don't like vodka.

Just curious, if you take your wine glasses or drink glasses from your cabin to the dining room and leave them there, does your steward wonder where they are or does the cruise line want to charge you for the missing items?

Like the rum in the water bottle idea! Or gin! Or gin and sweet vermouth! Although the olives might give it away. Don't like vodka.

Oh this one I know!

No charge and if you do it often enough I don't think your room steward wonders at all.

Thanks for all the responses. I'll try carrying my vodka around the ship and I'll let you know if anyone stops me...hahahaha. Makes me think, if no one is going to stop me from carrying around my own alcohol then why should I even buy my alcohol from Princess...might as well take advantage of duty free before I board the ship. Any suggestions then as how to smuggle the alcohol onto the ship? Does putting it into your suitcase work the best?

Princess has a bar on each shiop where you can by bottles of alcohol for consumption. The price is very similar to those in the US. I paid 20 for a liter of absolut. DOn't bother packing it when you can just buy it then.

WHile, I have had no problems with carrying a drink around with me... I would not carry a bottle. A friend told me a water bottle works though.

Back in the day (pre-9/11) the going opinion on these boards was that if you brought it aboard (it was allowed then) it was to be consumed in your cabin and not in public spaces. This went for soda , beer, and bottled water as well as liquor. (Ie., the Pepsi can will really stand-out on a coke only ship).

I think this made sense.

I have carried bottles of champagne into the dining room for special occasions. I have not walked around with open bottles, however.

As for the drinking gin, vodka, rum straight from a water bottle in public - I think that's absolutely ridiculous. There was a lot of that on the Dawn last December, some of it among underage kids. I have to say that I don't want to be exposed to this out by the pool (or the inevitable loud obnoxious behavior that follows, either). This is not responsible drinking behavior and certainly not casual drinking behavior. And despite what some might think, it does impact those around you.

I guess I will be using the water bottle idea unless someone can supply w/ me beer hard hat...hahahaha. :p

Nonetheless, had a great laugh reading everyone's replies. I love everyone's suggestions and feel so much better knowing that I'm not the only cheap one out there...hahahaha. :p And for those who may be taking my silly comments a little too seriously, I just wanted to let you know that I would never walk around the ship w/ a bottle of vodka in my hand (yes, that would be tacky though bringing a bottle of champaigne as Chris did is quite different and I just may consider doing with my friends when we disembark).

And for SCUBYDO who will be sailing on Golden with us - if you don't mind drinking vodka out of a evian water bottle you're more than welcomed to join in the fun!!!! ;)

Take care everyone! Thanks for the suggestions!!! I love this cruise critic thing!!!!

As for the drinking gin' date=' vodka, rum straight from a water bottle in public - I think that's absolutely ridiculous. There was a lot of that on the Dawn last December, some of it among underage kids. I have to say that I don't want to be exposed to this out by the pool (or the inevitable loud obnoxious behavior that follows, either). This is not responsible drinking behavior and certainly not casual drinking behavior. And despite what some might think, it does impact those around you.[/quote']

I totally understand where you are coming from and I think what it comes down to is responsible drinking. However, I don't think that drinking alcohol out of an evian bottle makes you any louder or more obnoxious than a drunk person who has purchased their drinks from the bar. A drunk is a drunk...doesn't matter where you got the alcohol. And in my opinion, drinking alcohol out of an evian bottle shouldn't really affect your fun...we're going to be the ones feeling silly and cheap drinking it out of a plastic bottle...hahahaha. :rolleyes: All in all, everyone drink responsibly!!!!!!!

Archived