Anyone PREFER inside cabins?

AmberMarie

I have never had a balcony, but have had an ov a few times, and really couln't care less about a window. I am taking 2 cruises this year for only $100 more than one cruise with a balcony. For me it works out to cruising more often. I live on a very modest salary, and careful budgeting is the only way I can afford to cruise. There is no way I would go into credit card debt to cruise.

So inside for me!

MAC

I was thinking about this and whether I felt it was reasonable for us to get a Balcony when we don't REALLY need it, and I came up with this: With our vacation times, we can only cruise once a year whether we like it or not... so we figured we may as well give a Balcony a go early in our "cruise life" and see if it's worth it to us to do it all the time. We would like to make our once a year vacation extra special, so we are booked for a Balcony! woohoo!

We can sail 2 if not 3 times in an inside cabin versus a balcony cabin.

As for an oceanview cabin, if I can't open a door or window and hear the ocean, I don't see any value to paying $$$hundreds extra for a "window".

We spend so little time in the cabin, while we are awake, it just doesn't seem worthwhile at all.

If they want to upgrade us from Inside to Balcony, I'll be happy to take it for an inside price.

I would refuse an oceanview upgrade if it meant having to move to a lower deck.

Bill

I think you made the right choice. If your only doing one cruise then make it a balcony. Enjoy it.

There have been times we do prefer the i/s cabin. Some times we do take a cruise just to rest & relax. More of a get away from work on the ranch than a vacation and on those occasions an i/s is preferred. If we're taking more of a 'holiday' then we prefer the balcony.

I love inside cabins. I choose them over a ocean view. I work nights so it is darker and I can sleep later in a inside. The ocean view with just the horizen moving makes me sea sick so I can't look out a window anyhow. I also just use the room for sleeping, showering and changing clothes. I did like the balcony on the Alaska cruise because there was something to see other than the ocean most of the time.

What are the pros, aside from the obvious price difference?

Pros: One's own private sunny spot. Coffee in the a.m.(nightcap in the p.m) Balcony nookie.

Cons: Never had an inside but have been in one (NCL Garbage Scow): Dark, small, No balcony nookie.

Never had an inside.

Never will.

Hanging out on our balcony is a MAJOR part of what makes our cruise enjoyable.

Judging from the looks of an inside..I agree w/ the posters that say they only use it to sleep/shower/etc.

I wouldn't spend much time in one of those either.

Upcoming June cruise will be our first inside room.

We were not impressed with the balcony and would only book another if the price was spectacular or the itinerary almost demands one (such as Alaska). It was too hot to be out there most of the day. Not much in the way of privacy with only a sheet of plastic between you and the neighbors conversations and cigarette smoke. The rail blocks any view of the horizon when seated.

It was nice in early morning with a cup of coffee. Good place to dry swimsuits as long as they are tied down.

People say they don't need a balcony because they don't spend that much time in their cabin; if you had a balcony you may spend more time there. People say they like the inside because it is dark and they can take an afternoon nap and sleep; I don't want to spend my time on a cruise sleeping and taking a chance on missing something fun or doing something that I cannot do at home - like sitting on my balcony listening to the water, looking at the blue sky, etc. Even if I'm not in my cabin I am not wasting time sleeping except at night of course.

That's fine and dandy for you, :rolleyes: but on my last cruise I spent a LOT of time sleeping. My friend/co-worker and I both have high-stress jobs at our company ... our vacation was our time to "relax" and unwind. If we choose to do that by taking a 2-3 hour nap every afternoon, then that's our choice. And to answer the "Then why didn't you just stay home and sleep?" question that I know is in your head ... because while we did sleep, we also enjoyed everything else we wanted to enjoy. Not everyone wants a go-go-go vacation ... in fact, I'm rather dreading that aspect of my upcoming Alaska cruise. ;)

Archived