Galapagos on the Xpedition

12B@C

Thanks for sharing your photos and experiences. It looked a wonderful trip and has whetted my apetite. I have to commend you on your website too. Great job! I sneaked a peak at the other trips you have done, some of which I have been fortunate to do also and your photos are stunning.good.gif

Phil

Thank you Phil for you kind words. Not only the trips but putting the memories together has been fun. Rather than a photo album we found that the website is a nice way to share pictures and some descriptions of our hobbies and travels with friends and relatives.

PS. This is not a comeback, because first I need to go to many more places.

The weather does vary according to the time of year and the ocean currents. Air and water temps are effected as well as the state of the vegetation and which animals are resident.

We went in the fall, this is truly a fantastic trip. No time of year is bad, some folks go multiple times to experience the different seasons.

Frank

Sharon/Jay....what a fabulous website. DH and I go on Xpedition April 20, 2008 and seeing your photos makes me wish we were going next week! Great job. What was the water temperature like for snorkelling? We chose late April as it was supposed to have some of the warmest water.

Lynn

Thank you Lynn for your nice comments.

We went end of April and found that the weather was just right. The landings take place in the morning and late afternoon. So the middle of the day when it gets warmer, is spent on board with lectures, relaxing, etc. while the ship goes on to the next island.

The water temperatures were ok, not warm but good enough for me to go swimming without a wetsuit at one of the beaches. For the snorkeling trips we used wetsuits that the ship provides along with the fins and goggles.

There was a fairly strong current from the north-west and in the open waters it was a bit murky. But that brings along the nutrients the fish need, I guess.

I had fun playing with the sea lions. They would come up close, dart all around me as I swirled my arm in circles. One brushed my arm but I never felt threatened.

Did you see the pictures of the Whale Shark. The gal who dove down to take them was a great swimmer (down about thirty feet, free diving). The pictures are in Part 2 of our web site.

Sharon/Jay. Yes I saw the shark photos. I would not have been diving down 30 feet to take a closer look...I'd have jumped 30 feet out of the water to get away!! Glad to hear the water temperature is OK. I like 80 degree water, but I'm determined to swim with the sea lions not matter what the temperature is!

Moose Tracks, although the Whale Shark is the largest, it is also one of the most docile fish. When we were there, a scuba diver was swimming within a couple feet of it and the fish just ignored him (so it seemed).

I would have been more concerned if I had seen the Galapagos Shark.

Archived