No Success in contacting passport office

villa10

I have been trying to reach the passport office for several days. Every time I listen to this long recording; then they say all representatives are busy and they disconnect the call. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get through to talk to someone?:)

I have been trying to reach the passport office for several days. Every time I listen to this long recording; then they say all representatives are busy and they disconnect the call. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get through to talk to someone?:)

Where are you located? If you are in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania ... I have a number for you to call.

Located in New Jersey. Applied for 3 passports 9 weeks ago. I need to check on status. On line just says proccessing. I know they are saying at least 10 weeks but leaving June 4th and the problem I have is that I am not leaving directly from home on the 4th. So while cruise is in 3 1/2 weeks for me I am actually leaving in 2 1/2 weeks. We could just go with birth certificates but much prefer having the passports.

I actually got an email yesterday from my Senator saying that if you were traveling and needed help with getting your passport, to contact him. I know I'd read about people doing that and thought, "I can't believe they're contacting their Senator to help them" but apparently that's one of the things they're there for. So, give your Senators office a call!

Many times I called and could not get through but then one time all of a sudden I got through. The problem is they will not really be able to tell you specifically a guarantee on when it will come. Two weeks before travel you should either call them to get it expedited probably for free but still not sure if they will guarantee or call your Senator or Congressperson's office to help. Since you can still go with just your birth certificates, I am not sure how much you want to pursue it........

Our passports took a little more than 11 weeks. Finally something on the website showed that they had actually been mailed to us after it just saying they were being processed. Good luck!

We have waited over 11 weeks for the normal processing. With only 22 days or so until we leave I was getting nervous. I contacted my U.S. Representative's office and spoke with the "Passort" person (Yes they actually have a Passport person). She contacted the State Dept, located our passports in the SFO office, requested expedite service and they are supposed to be delivered Mon or Tuesday via FedEx. Keeping our fingers crossed.... First time I have ever done that, I must say I really appreciate thier time and effort on our behalf.

contact your senator's or congressperson's office. They can help you out.

FWIW, the online status isn't very reliable.... even back before the flood of applications it was spotty. Now it seems even worse.

Thank you for the suggestions. I have just called my Congressman's office. They took all my information and they are going to see what they can do. Just for information, they told me applications are up 44% and even getting worse as summer approaches. They are working almost around the clock; have hired many more people but just can't keep up with the applications. Many are being mailed just a few days before the travel date.

You MUST be under 14 days from leaving. THEN you can call the phone number and they WILL expedite your pp for free. :D

But I can tell you it took many phone calls trying to get through, they kept hanging up on me. So I tried the one system I read about here, something like hitting 3, then 1, then 0 and you get put on hold...for me it was for 1.5 hours. :eek:

But they finally answered and then expedited with no additional cost. We left on a Friday and received our passports the Tuesday before.

It's 16 days until my cruise and exactly 10 weeks from applying for our passports.

When checking on the governments website my status is processing but for my husbands it just says that they can't find his application in their system:eek:

So a few weeks ago I tried calling but like everyone else was on hold forever, so I e-mailed them and they e-mailed back a few days later that his application is being reviewed in PA, okay so now I feel a little better but decided to call on Tuesday and was on hold for only 45 minutes. They said that they are both being processed and that I have plenty of time:confused: my application was being processed in SC..go figure. So what happens if I don't get it and they have our birth certificates....it's so frustrating!

Located in New Jersey. Applied for 3 passports 9 weeks ago. I need to check on status. On line just says proccessing. I know they are saying at least 10 weeks but leaving June 4th and the problem I have is that I am not leaving directly from home on the 4th. So while cruise is in 3 1/2 weeks for me I am actually leaving in 2 1/2 weeks. We could just go with birth certificates but much prefer having the passports.

Villa10 -- Here's what you can do ....

National Passport Information Center

This is the only official U.S. Government website for passport information. If you have a travel emergency, please call the National Passport Information Center to speak to a Customer Service Representative. Website for Passport Information .

We are currently experiencing a very high volume of calls. Please expect delays if you wish to speak to a customer service representative. You may have to call several times before reaching a representative. However, please note that representatives are available from 6:00 a.m. to 12 midnight, ET, Monday-Friday, except federal holidays. Representatives are also available for limited weekend hours for emergency situations in which travelers are leaving in 7 days or less.

If you are leaving, or you need your passport for a foreign visa, within 14 days and need to make an appointment at a Regional Passport Agency: Automated lines to make appointments are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The best time to call is between 8:30 p.m. and 9 a.m., Eastern Time.

• Telephone Number: 1-877-4USA-PPT (1-877-487-2778)
  • TDD/TTY: 1-888-874-7793. Telephone number for customers with telecommunication devices for the hearing impaired. This telephone number cannot be accessed by a standard touch tone or rotary dial telephone.
  • Customer Service Representatives and Operators for TDD/TTY are available Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. to midnight, Eastern Time, excluding federal holidays. Representatives are also available for limited weekend hours for emergency situations in which travelers are leaving in 7 days or less.
  • Automated Information available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you have a travel emergency, please call the Center to speak with a customer service representative. Do not e-mail.

If you have already applied for a U.S. passport and would like to check the status of your application online, click here .

We are also experiencing a very high volume of emails. Responses to emails may take 2-4 days.

If you would like to request the status of your application by email, click here .

If you would like to email the National Passport Information Center for a general question regarding passports, click here .

Good luck!!!! :)

This is what i do when i call them:

Dial the number

As soon as the recording starts I push 1-3-1 and then if it goes to the message that says all representatives are busy i hang up and try again and then do it over and over until i get through.

I have been successful every time.

This is what i do when i call them:

Dial the number

As soon as the recording starts I push 1-3-1 and then if it goes to the message that says all representatives are busy i hang up and try again and then do it over and over until i get through.

I have been successful every time.

That works, but instead of hanging up, then calling again and having to listen to those stupid, incredibly long recordings, you can just hit 9 (I believe that is the correct number, they tell you what number it is when you get that "all representatives" are busy message - it says "press x to return to the main menu") and it will take you back to the main menu where you can do the 1-3-1 thing. I had to do that a few times the last time I called, but I eventually got put in line to hold for a representative and then had my call taken within several minutes. Also, try calling early in the morning.

contact your senator's or congressperson's office. They can help you out.

FWIW, the online status isn't very reliable.... even back before the flood of applications it was spotty. Now it seems even worse.

I just called the passport place for the third time for my DH's passport and they told me the last time they worked on his passport was April 30,

I was just wondering where you can find the congressperson's number

I live in Texas.

Thanks in advance for the help

Thanks so much for starting this thread. I have several people in my group waiting for passports and are getting just a little nervous. I can't wait to let them know about being able to possibly track them and/or call the Senators office.

tootiesmom

I just called the passport place for the third time for my DH's passport and they told me the last time they worked on his passport was April 30,

I was just wondering where you can find the congressperson's number

I live in Texas.

Thanks in advance for the help

All congress and senators will be listed in your local phone directory.

google US Senator Texas

senate website is senate.gov or house.gov for US Reps

If you want to get through, press 1 for english, then 3 to check the status. As soon as you hear the recording, press 1. You will hear another recording. Wait that one out (it's only like 2-3 sentences lol) If you do not get transferred to music & instead hear that they cannot take your call at the time, press 9 and this will bring you back to the main menu where you will press 3 to check the status once again... Keep repeating that process until you get through. You will eventually hear the music (sometimes sooner than others), but it will come up!

Can you tell I have called enough times... :mad:

We have waited over 11 weeks for the normal processing. With only 22 days or so until we leave I was getting nervous. I contacted my U.S. Representative's office and spoke with the "Passort" person (Yes they actually have a Passport person). She contacted the State Dept, located our passports in the SFO office, requested expedite service and they are supposed to be delivered Mon or Tuesday via FedEx. Keeping our fingers crossed.... First time I have ever done that, I must say I really appreciate thier time and effort on our behalf.

They beat the quoted delivery. They showed up at the door last Saturday three days earlier than promised. Yahoo!!!!

We filed for our passports on March 3rd and today (5/23), just received 3 of the 4 we ordered. Sphew! I actually called on Monday (5/21 at 9:30pm EST) and they said they wouldn't do anything in regard to expediting them until 2 weeks before we leave which is 5/28. They told me not to rely on the website up date information as it is taking them 2 - 3 weeks to update the up date page (if that makes any sense) and replies to email updates are taking 2 - 3 weeks as well. So I'll have to keep calling, checking in on the missing one because they said it really doesn't look too good for our getting the last one in time. If gets to be 3 to 4 days before we leave (around 6/6) and I still don't have the last one, they said I could make an appointment and get the last one done immediately at our local passport office. I know and realize that I really don't need them for this cruise, but I prefer to have them in the event I need to fly for any unforseen circumstance, emergency, etc., etc. But I'm certainly relieved that I got the ones I did. I would recommend to anyone who is going on a trip in the next 2 or 3 weeks and needs their passport and they've already filed to call. :)

Archived