Hotels in London through Celebrity

We are thinking on going on a 9 day cruise out of Harwich on Celebrity. They offer 2 or 3 day packages for hotels and this would include transfers. The choices are City Inn Westminster, Kensington Forum, Royal Gardens Hotel and the Grosvenor Hotel. I've been looking on line and the City Inn seems to be in the center of things. Any suggestions? Has anyone used the Cruise Lines properties.

• 2 weeks later...

The Royal Gardens Kensington is gorgeous, very nice hotel right beside Kensington Gardens with a current exhibit of Princess Diana photos by Mario Tesstino. The palace has extensive exhibits from Queen Mary and is a lovely place to visit.

Also the Orangery restaurant in the grounds has great food and is a lovely place for lunch.

That's the only one we know.

Ruth

We have stayed at both the Kensington Forum and City Inn, and were satisfied with both hotels. The Kensington is near Harrods, Kensington Palace as well as several museums.

We were just at the City Inn last month and it was perfect for the things we had planned. It was within walking distance to the London Eye, Thames River Cruises, Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Churchill Museum etc. We had done the hop on and off bus(which is a great way to see London) on our first trip several years but talked to some other cruisers who had taken it from the City Inn and it was a short walk from the hotel to the bus stop.

The City Inn is certainly geographically the most central hotel with walking distance of Big Ben and Westminster Abbey.

The other hotels are just to the west of the central area in Kensington. In my view the Royal Gardens is the best hotel. The Grosevenor Hotel is an old Victorian pile and the only hotel that has 'character', but is probably the wooden spoon of the quartet

The Kensington Forum is the furthest from the centre and a Holiday inn tower, but is next door to Gloucester Road tube.

So no silver bullet 'best' hotel - depends on your preferences

We are taking a 14 cruise with Royal Caribbean and doing 2 days post cruise at the City Inn. Stayed there the last time when we did Celebrity and might like to stay in a different area to see some other sights. Was wondering if there are any good pubs close to the Kensington or other good local restaurants close by. Also, how far is it to the theatre?

Irene

The Holiday Inn Forum has a great pub right inside the hotel. Now they stopped serving food a couple of years ago, but recently reintroduced table service again. If it's anywhere near like it used to be, it'll be great!

Two Tube stops away. The Forum is very close to Gloucester Road tube.

For Kensington Palace, you need the Circle Line westbound to High Street Kensington.

For Harrods, you need to take the Piccadilly Line eastbound to Knightsbridge station.

I have been looking too at Celebrity hotels. Looking for something after the Transatlantic to Harwich.

I have stayed at the Kensington area before and it's too far to many London sights. Taxi's are not cheap. I would like something nearer to the theater district that won't break the bank. Any suggestions. The City Inn might work for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I called the 1-800 number X has and asked for the prices for the 4 hotels they have listed. I asked for 3 nights post cruise for May/June 08 and what was included and they quoted me prices from 365pp to 995pp. Grosevenor being the most expensive. I added the Royal Garden Hotel to my existing reservation thru my travel agent that booked my cruise. I would think it would be cheaper for 07.

Roseanna

Archived