Andrea is making me nervous!

I am cruising in August and driving from VA to FL. Does anyone know what happens if there is a storm out there that keeps me from getting to FL? Is the only way RCCL will reimburse me anything is if the ship can not leave the port? Does travel insurance cover this in any way? Thanks for your help!

You'll need to read your policy--they all differ! I would imagine that since YOU are your own transportation, it probably won't cover you! (Andrea is fizzling out--don't worry, August is a long way off!) Keep an eye on the weather a week out--if you see trouble brewing, leave a day earlier than planned! It's not like weather is a big surprise!)

I would for SURE take travel insurance, not just this year but any. Look at 2004, and how things got screwed up. FOr the end of the season (Sept/oct) I think, there seemed to be tons of ships delayed/cancelled.

Start watching the reports early, as the cruise companies often will update a day or two in advance, but again, if your ship is delayed at all (as in by days not by hours) they will often offer a refund I believe.

Luckilly (Knock on wood) It hasn't happened to me yet, but close:cool:

Best advice:

If you've already purchased travel insurance, read the policy.

If you haven't purchased travel insurance, do some research. Find the ones that will not only cover you if you can't travel there, but that will allow you to be reimbursed if there's storm pending within 48 hours of your travel. AND BUY IT!

I would for SURE take travel insurance, not just this year but any. Look at 2004, and how things got screwed up. FOr the end of the season (Sept/oct) I think, there seemed to be tons of ships delayed/cancelled.

Start watching the reports early, as the cruise companies often will update a day or two in advance, but again, if your ship is delayed at all (as in by days not by hours) they will often offer a refund I believe.

Luckilly (Knock on wood) It hasn't happened to me yet, but close:cool:

By your countdown clock, it looks like you will be enjoying the inaugural Liberty OTS cruise with all of us:) :) . Is that correct??

Gregg

Judy I have been doing some research but have not found a company that will reimburse if there is a storm brewing within 48 hours as your post states. Do you know of a company who offers this?

Thanks to everyone who has given advice:)

First, let me make sure to divulge that I'm a travel agent. I'm simply aware of this coverage, because this is always the company I recommend to my guests. MH Ross offers this coverage ... here's how it reads:

Hurricane coverage : a cancellation of the Insured’s trip within 24 hours of the scheduled departure date and time if the trip destination is under a Hurricane Warning issued by the National Hurricane Center, provided the cancellation of the Insured’s trip occurs more than 15 days following the effective date of the coverage for the trip cancellation benefit.

I don't know if you can purchase it direct or not!

Archived