How often do they wash the towels and sheets?

Math4Aggies

Hi!

I wish everything worked like Google! Or we had a search powered by Google as I tried to find the answer to my question. Hard to believe it has not been asked before.

Anyway, I try to be environmentally responsible. I like it when a hotel says that I should leave the towels in the tub if I want them washed. That way I don't use the soap and hot water to clean what is pretty much a clean towel. After all - I just showered! Same for the sheets. I would prefer to not have them changed unless it was really needed.

And this is so a WIN-WIN situation for the hotels. They save money and I feel better. And it is an option, so if you want them washed daily - so be it.

Sooooo, does anyone know if the sheets and towels are actually washed daily or does the steward just straighten up. And if they are washed daily, would he/she freak if I asked them not to?

thanks…

Janice

Hi!

I wish everything worked like Google! Or we had a search powered by Google as I tried to find the answer to my question. Hard to believe it has not been asked before.

Anyway, I try to be environmentally responsible. I like it when a hotel says that I should leave the towels in the tub if I want them washed. That way I don't use the soap and hot water to clean what is pretty much a clean towel. After all - I just showered! Same for the sheets. I would prefer to not have them changed unless it was really needed.

And this is so a WIN-WIN situation for the hotels. They save money and I feel better. And it is an option, so if you want them washed daily - so be it.

Sooooo, does anyone know if the sheets and towels are actually washed daily or does the steward just straighten up. And if they are washed daily, would he/she freak if I asked them not to?

thanks…

Janice

We like to have our sheets changed daily, never had any problems with that request apart from one tme with RCCL, I had to get the Purser's Desk involved with that.

Just let your cabin steward know about your preference, I am sure they will have no problem with it, at least that is what our experience has been.

Towels, just dump them on the floor, they'll change those, leave them hanging means you'll reuse them, pretty much like in most hotels.

Happy cruising everyone :)

I don't need to have my sheets changed daily but I'm going to request to have them changed once in the middle of the cruise. The towels I will have replaced every day. Since I'm not doing the laundry and I'm on vacation, then why not. :D:p

I've noticed that even towels which are hung up to dry are replaced. Frankly, I'm fine with using towels for a few days, I do at home. I certainly don't expect my sheets to be changed daily. Any water they can save is fine with me.

I have noticed the same thing, my steward would change all the towels even if they were on the rack.

Thanks y'all. I will check with my cabin mate [going with a friend and not DH this time] and leave a note for the steward. It would be wonderful to have a check card with preferences - I will try to leave that suggestion where it might be heard [any suggestions on that?]. Since it is "green" both for the environment and the bottom line, maybe it will happen :)

janice

Personally, I have them change the sheets averyday. twice a day if I take a nap. I refuse to sleep on the same sheets twice. I also have new pillows and blankets brought in daily. Same goes for towels. If I dry my hands or face, I expect that towel to be replaced. Heck, it's not my water. Why not go crazy. I may be a snob, but that's me, and it's my right. :^)

Personally, I have them change the sheets averyday. twice a day if I take a nap. I refuse to sleep on the same sheets twice. I also have new pillows and blankets brought in daily. Same goes for towels. If I dry my hands or face, I expect that towel to be replaced. Heck, it's not my water. Why not go crazy. I may be a snob, but that's me, and it's my right.

Fishing for a flame or just doesn't care about the planet at all... I can't tell, but either way... for shame.

I have noticed the same thing, my steward would change all the towels even if they were on the rack.

I'm curious. How do you know? Are you talking about towels that have been used once or twice hanging on a peg, or those not used at all still hanging on the rack?

Personally, I have them change the sheets averyday. twice a day if I take a nap. I refuse to sleep on the same sheets twice. I also have new pillows and blankets brought in daily. Same goes for towels. If I dry my hands or face, I expect that towel to be replaced. Heck, it's not my water. Why not go crazy. I may be a snob, but that's me, and it's my right. :^)

What do I care about the planet, I won't be here in 50 yrs.

Fishing for a flame or just doesn't care about the planet at all... I can't tell, but either way... for shame.

Im not at all hateing on you, but if your going on a cruise where WASTE is the name of the game you cant talk about being green.

Can't speak for the sheets, but...

for towels - they tell you that if they are left on the floor they will be replaced. If not, I believe they just straighten them up.

I try to leave the towels 'placed' and not on the floor for replacement until I feel they need replacing.

Whether this really happens or not, I can't say.

Just what 'they' say...

I was quite surprised on our recent cruise on the Elation to find any towels that might have been used replaced by our steward three times a day. He also changed the sheets each day. No, we did not request this; he was very thorough and kept our little corner of the world spotless.

Doc

Not sure about the sheets, but the towels work just like any hotel. For me, I want new towels everday, I do the same at home though. As far as the sheets go, I want them to change them half-way through the cruise. All that salt air, grimy excursions etc. Not to mention there is nothing nicer than getting into bed after a busy day to fresh laundered sheets.

LOL...there are people here that think you are serious......

ROFLMAO.........;)

Im not at all hateing on you, but if your going on a cruise where WASTE is the name of the game you cant talk about being green.

CCL has a very good track record for recycling... if you are talking about the glutoney of people, thats another story. But as I rarely gain more than a pound on a cruise, I don't worry that much about it.

Another way to look at it, I can't control what CCL does or doesn't do, but I can do my part...

Trust me I am no greenpeace tree-hugger Al Gore sycophant, but I think we can all do a little bit to help out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ParrotHead79 viewpost.gif

What do I care about the planet, I won't be here in 50 yrs.

Sovergian of the Seas 10/04

Mariner of the Seas 10/05

Carnival Liberty 10/07

Parrothead, hope you aren't really serious! My Grandchildren and Great Grandchildren will be here for generations to come. At least I hope so.

Luv's Crusin'

LOL...there are people here that think you are serious......

ROFLMAO.........;)

Sarcasm, (and those who appreciate it), are the lowest forms of wits.

LOLROFLAFGEAYBABTUBFU.....

Are we actually talking about being "green" on a cruise by reducing the amount of laundry the cruise ship does? You must be kidding! Firstly, it is impossible to "save water" on a cruise ship. Secondly, cruising is in no way shape or form a "green" activity. Saving water on a ship is like planting a tree so you feel good about traveling around in your private jet telling the world to be more green -- completely worthless!

Let's take a closer look at this issue. The ship gets all of its water from the ocean. Salt water is run through an Reverse Osmosis treatment system that removes the salt and other impurities. The salt and impurities are dumped back into the ocean -- right where they came from.

Next the fresh water is used to launder the sheets and towels. The dirty water is treated to remove the impurities and the clean fresh water is dumped back into the Ocean where it can again take on its load of salt. Basically, we're back to where we started.

I will grant that you save a little soap and electricity (which is generated by burning diesel fuel), so the overall pollution is the world is reduced somewhat, but not to a significant degree.

Now lets look closer at cruising in general. It has no societal purpose except to provide the cruisers entertainment and enjoyment. The cruise ship is constructed of things like steel, aluminum, copper and various plastics. To build the ship, millions of tons of iron ore, bauxite, and various copper bearing ores have to be mined, processed, smelted and otherwise manufactured to create the steel and aluminum. Crude oil has to be extracted, refined and turned into various plastics. Metal and oil processing are among the most "ungreen" processes on the planet, if you ask me.

Next, the ship has to generate all its own power, both for on-board use and propulsion. How does it do this? It burns either heavy fuel oil or diesel fuel. Where did this fuel come from. It was extracted form the earth as crude oil and refined. Again, not very "green".

So, if you want to be "green" and do something for the planet -- you need to give up cruising altogether. Using your towels twice is nothing but a "feel good" effort designed to trick the so-called "green" crowd into reducing the ships operating costs.

Personally, I think I'll just keep cruising, use my towels only once, hope my steward changes the sheets every day, and not try to pretend that I'm being "green".

Hey maybe I'll call Al Gore and buy a carbon credit -- yeah that'll save the planet! :rolleyes:

Archived