How often do they wash the towels and sheets?

Math4Aggies

If a room holds two people and if the room chooses to not get the sheets and towels washed that day we can say that perhaps 25 grams [around an ounce] of soap is saved and perhaps 100 liters of water that had to be heated from 20°C to 60°C [about 26 gallons raised from about 70°F to 140°F]. We can let the cold rinse go and any other even smaller concerns. Where does that put us in a year?

soap used per day = 200,000*25 = 5,000,000 grams or 5.5 tons per day. If people only washed every other day [or say 180 days per year], that is nearly a thousand tons of soap. Just for having the passengers get the sheets and towels done every other day. And, of course, the ocean was not designed to take all those soapy chemicals, so that just adds to the harm.

Now for the warming of the water...

100 liters * 1000cm^3/liter * 1 gm/cm^3 * 40°C * 4.186 joule/gram °C = 16,744,000 joules to warm the water. That unit is probably not familiar to most, so it also converts to about 4.65 kW-hr.

4.65 kW-hr * 100,000 cabins * 180 days of not using the hot water = 883,700,000 kW-hr. I won't try to guess at the efficency of the energy production on the ship, but that is a lot of energy.

Well, that was probably too much

janice

Yaawwwwnnnnnn. Can you come by my house each night? My boyfriend sometimes has trouble sleeping, and listening to you would knock him right out. :D

Watch out.. he created the Internet... you may find yourself off CC very shortly.

ROFL!!!!! That is too funny! :D

During WWII, German U-boats had 17 bunks for 51 enlisted men. So if a sailor was off duty, he could not go lay down as someone else was sleeping in his/their bunk. It was called, "triple hot-bunking." Their patrols were planned for 90 days, so on the 45th day, the blue gingham sheets were turned over. A sailor was considered very lucky when he was the first to sleep on the "clean" freshly turned sheets.

Could this have been the beginning of "Green" cruising??:D

{It should come as no surprise that the refit/repair crew that went into their subs upon returning to home base, had to wear gas masks against the aroma within.}:eek::(

Dan

All I can say to that is, "EWWWWWWWW!" :eek:

Are you saying you don't purchase carbon credits before you cruise, shame on you. Big Blowhard AL will be very sad with you as you know he does all he can to help the world stay green. Please, Please, insert severe sarcasm here while reading this.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: What a joke is right.

Severe sarcasm inserted!!!;) Big Al is a joke!!!

Big hypocrite too.

Mark

We don't ask for a change of sheets unless the sheets get pretty icky. I usually shower before bed, or even before a nap, because I can't stand getting into bed with sunscreen all over me. If you feel your sheets need changing, just ask, they don't normally do it automatically. If you can't find your steward, just rip the sheets off and put them on the floor, and they'll get the idea.

I can't believe no one has mentioned requesting a new bedspread upon arrival. Your sheets could be sparkly clean, but who knows what's happened on that bedspread before you arrived. :cool: If you're sensitive to that, you can request a fresh spread when you arrive. We've only requested one once, and that's because it smelled so bad of sunscreen, there was no way I was sleeping with it. It obviously was NOT clean, and that skeeved me out.

Our towels were replaced daily, however I don't think that our sheets were. I am curious - does anyone know what detergent they use? My son developed a horrible itchy rash on our cruise last week. It finally cleared up once we got home. I think he may have been allergic to the detergent they use on sheets and towels. Benadryl and calamine finally worked. But, he was miserable on the plane ride home.

MaddyMom - How old is your son? My DD had all kinds of problems with even mild soap until she was around 6. We had to double rinse everything that touched her skin. I wonder if that could be arranged, if he is sensitive. Someone else suggested a pillowcase from home. That is a pretty good idea.

Glama - good point about the bedspread. I will check when we first get in. With so little space, I need a place to park myself and my stuff.

Janice

Archived