Cheapest Airfare

barvn

We are traveling from Philadelphia to Miami in November on Carnival Victory.

When is it cheapest to book a flight - furthest out or closer to your departure? When would be the best rates?

For domestic flights the cheapest rates can usually be gotten around 45 to 90 days before your departure. Don't wait until less than 30 days as the fares can get erratic. Keep an eye on the fares daily and if you see a price you like jump on it, but if it feels like its too much you have plenty of time to look. Look at the Buzz section of kayak.com and check southwest as the dates get closer.

I live and fly from Philly.

SW and Airtran does not fly into Miami but into Ft.Lauderdale. You can take a cab or shuttle from FLL to MIA. Took us 45 min between boarding and driving.

Further out is cheaper for SW. SW you can book and if the price drops get a voucher. Airtran once you pay, that is it unless you pay a fee to change which is usually more then the drop.

-Flights starting Aug 24th on for SW and Airtran are more then usual. For example down to ORL in mid Aug I am paying $49.00, home in Sept I am paying 122.00. But if a price drop I get a voucher.

I actually need to fly late in Oct on a friday night around 8pm and US Air to FLL is the only one with a non stop with that time. I paid $69.00 plus tax. Not bad as Airtran didnt have the right time but was much more.

I personally flew into MIA from PHL on American before for only $10.00 more than a flight to FLL. Was not worth it. I hate that airport.

I live and fly from Philly.

SW and Airtran does not fly into Miami but into Ft.Lauderdale. You can take a cab or shuttle from FLL to MIA. Took us 45 min between boarding and driving.

Further out is cheaper for SW. SW you can book and if the price drops get a voucher. Airtran once you pay, that is it unless you pay a fee to change which is usually more then the drop.

-Flights starting Aug 24th on for SW and Airtran are more then usual. For example down to ORL in mid Aug I am paying $49.00, home in Sept I am paying 122.00. But if a price drop I get a voucher.

I actually need to fly late in Oct on a friday night around 8pm and US Air to FLL is the only one with a non stop with that time. I paid $69.00 plus tax. Not bad as Airtran didnt have the right time but was much more.

I personally flew into MIA from PHL on American before for only $10.00 more than a flight to FLL. Was not worth it. I hate that airport.

Thank you for the information. I am flying out November 4th. Southwest does not yet have flights posted for this date. So you are saying that the best rates that will be available will probably be as soon as they list the flights?

When SW list. They are usually cheap in the beginning and they sell seats in tiers of prices.

For example . They have so many at $103.00 So many at $105. and so many at $122.00. Once they sell the cheap seats you go up a tier. If prices for the entire flight drop, you can get a voucher to use later for the price difference. So basically you are reserving your spot no matter on the plane. You just need to check pricing every so often.

I'm waiting for SW release to fly home from FLL on Nov4th

Budget airlines sell their best availability as far in the future as they can.

Regular airlines sell their best prices after each holiday ends. They are too fixated by the holidays. They are trying to sell the summer and aren't too concerned with the fall yet. When it gets to the fall, they are concerned with Thanksgiving and Christmas and the fact that they have empty planes because they forgot to concentrate on September/October.

Fares area usually higher on the weekend and availability is low. Around 2AM in the morning on weekdays is when they release reserved seats.

Hi Barvn! We are also traveling on the Carnival Victory in November - what's your departure date? We are leaving on 11/18 - although flying in a day early and satying at the Hyatt downtown.

I am also waiting for the fares to come down - right now they just seem too high to me. We are traveling from Chicago to Miami.

Southwest hasn't released it's fares for this date yet, so I'm hoping that when they do, the larger airlines will come down on their prices a little as well in order to be competitive. Right now SW only has fares published through Nov 2.

I've been watching the fares through Farewatcher on Travelocity and right now I can find flights as low as 163.00 for travel through the first week of Nov. But for the days we are flying, the cheapest I have been able to find is in the neighborood of 350 - 400 depending on times, etc. I have to believe that the fares will drop at least a little. Plus we're still far out enough that I'm not going to panic about it.

If you find any good deals, let me know :)

Southwest hasn't released it's fares for this date yet, so I'm hoping that when they do, the larger airlines will come down on their prices a little as well in order to be competitive. Right now SW only has fares published through Nov 2.

I've been watching the fares through Farewatcher on Travelocity and right now I can find flights as low as 163.00 for travel through the first week of Nov. But for the days we are flying, the cheapest I have been able to find is in the neighborood of 350 - 400 depending on times, etc. I have to believe that the fares will drop at least a little. Plus we're still far out enough that I'm not going to panic about it.

Other than the day SW opens their fares, I really doubt you will find much below $350/400.00. Sunday, Nov. 25 is one of the busiest travel days of the year. The airlines KNOW that people will pay the money for their Thanksgiving travel. Why should they discount the airfare????

I bet the price will do nothing but go up when you try booking a Nov. 25 return, especially since you need a return flight after noon. No one wants to leave their vacation any sooner than need be, so the afternoon flights are primo, not only for cruise pax, but everyone else.

IF you are willing to fly home on the 26th, the price is below $300.00. And can be booked today at those prices.

Hi Barvn! We are also traveling on the Carnival Victory in November - what's your departure date? We are leaving on 11/18 - although flying in a day early and satying at the Hyatt downtown.

I am also waiting for the fares to come down - right now they just seem too high to me. We are traveling from Chicago to Miami.

Hi,

I am traveling Nov 4th - Nov 11. The cheaper fares that I have found are later in the afternoon. We are planning on traveling the morning of. I have heard information from the Carnival agent that they block flights in reserve for the people reserving air to them. I was wondering when those flights are released. Any idea?

Hi,

I am traveling Nov 4th - Nov 11. The cheaper fares that I have found are later in the afternoon. We are planning on traveling the morning of. I have heard information from the Carnival agent that they block flights in reserve for the people reserving air to them. I was wondering when those flights are released. Any idea?

Cruise air is done on a contract basis at least a year in advance. There will be no flights released to the airline-the cruiseline will sell them. Their yield management software (how many tickets to buy/sell at what price) is ever bit as good as the airlines. Don't wait on the cruiseline releasing air.

Just read this quote from the CEO of Southwest at the Bear Stearns Transportation Conference:

"Kelly said Southwest, which last year became the largest carrier of U.S. passengers, would continue to raise fares where that makes sense.

While the airline is hitting its cost targets, "there is a very clear need for increased revenue," Kelly said. Non-passenger revenue might come from adding paid services, such as onboard Internet access, he said.

Seemss like your return to Chicago likely is Thanksgiving weekend ... so not sure how low the fares will go. That's a very popular travel weekend.

You are correct - it's the Sunday after Thanksgiving and yes, unfortunately our airfare is most likely going to suck. :( But the cruise is already booked so we'll just have to make the best of it. I was looking at another board that stated SW won't release fares for the end of November until around June 28th - anyone know if this is true or not?

Archived