HAWAII - How far out did you book?

luv2bnsun

I am just curious for those who have cruised in Hawaii previously how far out you were able to book? We are at Sept. of 2008 which is still 16 mos. out but so far the 2008 bookings only go for 11 mos (to mid-April of 2008). Surely there are people who are ready to book vacations that are more than 11 mos. out. Has anyone else booked cruises more than a year in the future?

We booked about 11 months out from our cruise, but I do think we were researching them for a few months beforehand.

I wonder if NCLA is still shuffing itineraries around and switching things up for 2008, and they don't want people to book since they don't know for sure which ship will be where?

I have no idea but it was just a thought. Anyone know?

Yes, but it's timing. We were booked on the Pride of Hawaii for April 2008. That booking was made August 2006. When they do open the bookings they could go through April 2009 so someone booking the day it opens could be booking almost two years in advance.

They may be trying to see how everything shakes out with the NCLA recent changes. At this point, everyone who had a Hawaiian cruise booked past January 2008 has had a change.

I am also waiting to book our cruise for Hawaii for December 2008. For our Alaskan cruise we booked over a year out. I am hoping to do the same thing with the Hawaii cruise since it takes so much time to actually plan a vacation like this.

I booked less than three months out. I'm cheap and not particularly picky about the cabin, so I wait until the cruise goes on sale :). We ended up with outside cabins including airfare for less than $1k a person. Now with the reduction in ships sailing around HI, there may not be as many bargains as there were the past year.

Seems to me we were researching Hawaii about 18 months out, but only finally decided to do it 11-12 months out. I have booked cruises anywhere from 6 - 18 months out, just depended on the cruiseline, itinerary and timing of the schedules. Lucky for us (after all that research) NCL decided not to move POH until February 2008 and not before the holiday season.

Booked Cruise and Hotel September 2006 for May 2007 cruise.

Booked our Shore Excurison and Purchased Airline Tickets in February 2007.

I saved over $600.00 + received an upgrade to better cabin by booking early, saved on airfare and Hotel as well.

Aloha,

Marcy

I check the ncl website daily looking for the new Hawaii itineraries but so far nothing. I would book them today if they posted today. I cannot imagine not planning a vacation without MONTHS and MONTHS of planning. I think that part of the fun of a vacation is the anticipation so it doesn't bother me to make my plans a year in advance.

I think that part of the fun of a vacation is the anticipation so it doesn't bother me to make my plans a year in advance.

I love to anticipate and plan as well. Everyday, I sit at my computer with my revealed books and check out the Hawaii boards. Too bad I didn't put this much effort into school years and years and years ago.:)

Also, while many people have been unhappy with all the NCLA changes, we really made out great by booking so far ahead.

CRUIZINWITHKIDS, do you happen to remember when you first started looking at the Hawaii cruises? Was is substantially earlier than your Aug., 2006 booking? If so, did you have to wait for NCL to post the itineraries? I'm trying to figure out when they might post the next cruise dates. I've been told many different things as to the expected timeframe for posting new Hawaii itineraries. Thanks.

CRUIZINWITHKIDS, do you happen to remember when you first started looking at the Hawaii cruises? Was is substantially earlier than your Aug., 2006 booking? If so, did you have to wait for NCL to post the itineraries? I'm trying to figure out when they might post the next cruise dates. I've been told many different things as to the expected timeframe for posting new Hawaii itineraries. Thanks.

No, I just happen to luck out. We have been saving credit card points for a "big" cruise. My plans were for either Hawaii or Europe. I saw Hawaii booking for April school vacation was open, so booked knowing I could change it. When I booked it, the Hawaiian cruises were actually the only ones open for booking in April 2008.

We ended up canceling April 2008 and booking February 2008 instead. Once the European itineraries opened and I saw the pricing, our decision to stick with Hawaii was finalized.

I suspect the Hawaian itineraries will be up before the end of the month. They are the only summer itineraries not posted by NCL. Plus NCL still hasn't posted winter itineraries for three other ships, possibly four, along with many repositioning itineraries. Just be a bit more patient.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, but it's timing. We were booked on the Pride of Hawaii for April 2008. That booking was made August 2006. When they do open the bookings they could go through April 2009 so someone booking the day it opens could be booking almost two years in advance.

They may be trying to see how everything shakes out with the NCLA recent changes. At this point, everyone who had a Hawaiian cruise booked past January 2008 has had a change.

Won't they just let you go on the European cruise for the same price? :)

We're about to book PoH for this August. There's a great deal on cruise+air right now.

Archived