Dress Codes

Kindlychap

Well, I'll bet that person packs a few thing in carry-on from now on!

The fact that it the jeans were on a formal night means that it couldn't have been on a first night. After problems then I can't see any way in which she could have gained benefit from packing things in her hand baggage that she couldn't have got from the onboard shops.

The fact that it the jeans were on a formal night means that it couldn't have been on a first night. After problems then I can't see any way in which she could have gained benefit from packing things in her hand baggage that she couldn't have got from the onboard shops.

Malcolm, The onboard shops carry little if anything in my size. Furthermore, There is no way I could afford anything (clothing, other than logo wear, and that, too was overpriced) they sell in the onboard shops.

I'm just saying. Don't be too quick to judge people, unless you know their circumstances. If you got on board (wearing jeans, for whatever reason- maybe you had to change a tire enroute) and Cunard somehow lost our luggage. You've paid a lot of money for this cruise of a lifetime. You didn't think to pack formal wear, or even "that perfect little black dress" in your CARRY-ON, and you've spent yourself down just to afford the trip. Cannot afford any new clothing at $100 or more for a plain pair of pants, never mind a skirt and blouse or dress suitable for formal night. And they don't rent dresses. What would you do?

All I am saying is do not judge people so harshly unless you KNOW their circumstances! My people have a saying about walking a mile in a man's moccasins.

Personally, *I* am not perfect. I do not feel that I am so grand that I have the right to make unequivocal judgments against others.

That's all.

Given the choice between being kind to a fellow human, who may appear to have made a poor choice, becoming friendly with them, perhaps, and understanding why they do what they do, perhaps even with the intention of gently guiding them towards a preferred way of acting, vs. Sticking my nose in the air and proclaiming them to be "not good enough" (or not a lady) I'll chose the more genteel and classier mode any time.

Karie,

YMMV

What would you do?

What would I do? They hire dress suits on board - I would have hired one.

What would I have done had I been her? That would be much more difficult - I've no idea about how ladies clothes "work":D However I think that the best advice would be to speak to the stewardess. I don't think that it would be the first time that someone had not got the correct clothing and needed help urgently. My work in hotels has proven to me just how useful a trawl of lost property can be when it comes to replacing that must have item:)

Well I was staying out of this, but Karie's statement about not judging because you do not know ones circumstances hit home. Several years ago I was riding coach on the train and a woman got on who was wearing floral tights several sizes too small and generally not at all put together. I kept repeating in my head please, please do not sit next to me. Well it would have been my loss if she hadn't. She was a jewel. Her interior was regal. As Martin Luther King said about "content of your character" well she had it in spades. Much of life is an illusion, how many beautifully groomed people have we all met who were so self absorbed that they bore you to near death. Sometimes we have to learn to really see.

well go on then, what do they say?:)

They say never judge a man unless ou have walked a mile in his moccasins.

It means, do not judge those whose exact experience you have not shared. That includes differences in people's abilities and handicaps.

Karie,

who is far from perfect, but often has to remind herself of this adage at times.

I've made some bad decisions in my life, including, perhaps, on occasion, inappropriate dress, or wearing stuff I loved which looked horrid on me. Thank goodness for gracious people who did not judge, but forgave my transgressions.

Let me tell you of buying a style of glasses because I loved that style on a friend with a different shaped face and different hair style. I looked hideous in them, even more so when I got sick and lost a lot of weight. Because they were prescription, and I could not afford another pair, I had to live with them. When my cheeks were all sunk in from the severe weight loss, they were bigger than my whole face!

Malcolm, The onboard shops carry little if anything in my size. Furthermore, There is no way I could afford anything (clothing, other than logo wear, and that, too was overpriced) they sell in the onboard shops.

I'm just saying. Don't be too quick to judge people, unless you know their circumstances. If you got on board (wearing jeans, for whatever reason- maybe you had to change a tire enroute) and Cunard somehow lost our luggage. You've paid a lot of money for this cruise of a lifetime. You didn't think to pack formal wear, or even "that perfect little black dress" in your CARRY-ON, and you've spent yourself down just to afford the trip. Cannot afford any new clothing at $100 or more for a plain pair of pants, never mind a skirt and blouse or dress suitable for formal night. And they don't rent dresses. What would you do?

Karie,

YMMV

I'm not going to comment on why I think someone was wearing whatever it was they were wearing, but... My wife and I make sure we wear something nice-but-casual and pack one formal dress and one tux in what we carry. We STILL have enough room for some "extra" clothing and whatever else we need to carry on. We even make sure we carry on (well, THEY carry on) a formal dress and tux for our kids. And we don't end up lugging around 5 tons of stuff, either.

It is just "safe" to keep your hands on the minimum of what you NEED. And, I guess, if you feel you NEED cut-off jeans shorts (or whatever it was), then you make sure those are in your carry-on.

What would I do? They hire dress suits on board - I would have hired one.

What would I have done had I been her? That would be much more difficult - I've no idea about how ladies clothes "work":D However I think that the best advice would be to speak to the stewardess. I don't think that it would be the first time that someone had not got the correct clothing and needed help urgently. My work in hotels has proven to me just how useful a trawl of lost property can be when it comes to replacing that must have item:)

On one of the trips the woman doing one of the stage shows told how she had lost her luggage on the flight to meet the ship. She ended up borrowing a dress from one of the women in the dance troupe. She was covered in pins and tape, she said. Imagine THAT!

Which also reminds me of how difficult it must be for the dancers to hit their marks when the ship is moving during heavy seas. When I was at sea as a teen we would jump off the fore deck just when the ship began down a wave and find ourselves fifteen feet above the midships deck. Lots of fun for the few seconds before we had to figure out how to land on a wet and slippery teak deck without breaking ourselves. I have to imagine it is somewhat the same for the dancers. Do they ever fall? I wonder.

Which also reminds me of how difficult it must be for the dancers to hit their marks when the ship is moving during heavy seas. When I was at sea as a teen we would jump off the fore deck just when the ship began down a wave and find ourselves fifteen feet above the midships deck. Lots of fun for the few seconds before we had to figure out how to land on a wet and slippery teak deck without breaking ourselves. I have to imagine it is somewhat the same for the dancers. Do they ever fall? I wonder.

I've no idea. However we did see one show in the North Atlantic which had a unicycling juggler. He didn't fall off, nor did he drop things!

It was a wonderful piece of English lunacy!

Matthew

I've no idea. However we did see one show in the North Atlantic which had a unicycling juggler. He didn't fall off, nor did he drop things!

It was a wonderful piece of English lunacy!

Matthew

On the June 10th NY-UK?

Are you crossing back to the UK with us on the June 10th NY-UK?

Unfortunately not. I'll be flying over your heads courtesy of Mr. Branson.

On the other hand, are you likely to be with us on the Tandem next January?

Matthew

Unfortunately not. I'll be flying over your heads courtesy of Mr. Branson.

On the other hand, are you likely to be with us on the Tandem next January?

Matthew

We do plan to take a trip next January, but we were thinking the QM2 down to the islands from NY. Still, we are itching to try the QE2.

I noticed a QE2 voyage from Los angeles, CA to New York. April, I think. Maybe we'll take the train out to Los Angeles and the QE2 around to NY. The only hitch is that we'll have a 7-yr-old and a 10-yr-old and I have heard the QE2 is NOT kid-friendly. Is that true?

We do plan to take a trip next January, but we were thinking the QM2 down to the islands from NY. Still, we are itching to try the QE2.

I noticed a QE2 voyage from Los angeles, CA to New York. April, I think. Maybe we'll take the train out to Los Angeles and the QE2 around to NY. The only hitch is that we'll have a 7-yr-old and a 10-yr-old and I have heard the QE2 is NOT kid-friendly. Is that true?

My understanding is that there is an excellent programme for children, and one of the signs of the quality of the programme is the lack of children floating around!

However I'm not a parent, and you'd probably find that a separate question on the main board would be more helpful than my musings.

Matthew

My understanding is that there is an excellent programme for children, and one of the signs of the quality of the programme is the lack of children floating around!

However I'm not a parent, and you'd probably find that a separate question on the main board would be more helpful than my musings.

Matthew

You mean they tie them down somehow? ;)

On our QM2 trips, the kids LOVED their time aboard and very little of it had anything to do with other children. Yes, we need to get them aboard.

Pardon the interruption,

Sea, The QE2 LA-NYC that goes thru the Panama Canal, yes? DH and I really would like to do that one, too.

Pardon the interruption,

Sea, The QE2 LA-NYC that goes thru the Panama Canal, yes? DH and I really would like to do that one, too.

It looks like plenty of time at sea AND I don't have to get on one of those nasty, hot-dog-shaped cattle movers. Train from where I live to Los Angeles, car to the ship, ship to a heavenly 13 or 16 days of sailing, car to the train in NY and train back to home.

Ahhhhhhhh.

It looks like plenty of time at sea AND I don't have to get on one of those nasty, hot-dog-shaped cattle movers. Train from where I live to Los Angeles, car to the ship, ship to a heavenly 13 or 16 days of sailing, car to the train in NY and train back to home.

Ahhhhhhhh.

How long do you imagine the train would take? I expect we'd have to ride in a sausage to get to LA, but someone's got to do the dirtywork.

How long do you imagine the train would take? I expect we'd have to ride in a sausage to get to LA, but someone's got to do the dirtywork.

...of eating and sleeping bliss.

We went across country and gained more weight in three days on the train than we did in 24 (or 26) on QM2.

...of eating and sleeping bliss.

We went across country and gained more weight in three days on the train than we did in 24 (or 26) on QM2.

Are you talking about Amtrak!? :eek: You must be talking about something else.

Are you talking about Amtrak!? :eek: You must be talking about something else.

... We went across country with the kids in two little rooms across the hall from each other. Aside from some problems you might have expected, it was GREAT! And the food was very nice. The kids had their own little room and we had ours. We did stop in Montana for a few days. But our route was much longer than the train we are now talking about taking.

I love trains, though. Even AmTrak trains.

... We went across country with the kids in two little rooms across the hall from each other. Aside from some problems you might have expected, it was GREAT! And the food was very nice. The kids had their own little room and we had ours. We did stop in Montana for a few days. But our route was much longer than the train we are now talking about taking.

I love trains, though. Even AmTrak trains.

I am also a train lover. I'm just surprised you hold Amtrak in such high esteem, esp. when it comes to the food. I've nothing but bad for years now, and one of the stories came from my son, who took Amtrak back to school once.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if this country loved and used trains the way so many others do? I would be happy to take a train rather than a car or plane in a minute if it were like that. It would be my first choice.

I am also a train lover. I'm just surprised you hold Amtrak in such high esteem, esp. when it comes to the food. I've nothing but bad for years now, and one of the stories came from my son, who took Amtrak back to school once.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if this country loved and used trains the way so many others do? I would be happy to take a train rather than a car or plane in a minute if it were like that. It would be my first choice.

Hear Hear.

I even looked at the train for a trip to Italy later this year. However it proved too expensive.......

I loathe flying - especially cattle class. Not being the slimmest person doesn't help of course.

Matthew

Hear Hear.

I even looked at the train for a trip to Italy later this year. However it proved too expensive.......

I loathe flying - especially cattle class. Not being the slimmest person doesn't help of course.

Matthew

I don't like flying because I don't like the idea of crashing. I'm working on that. And aside from that one, yes, it's just so livestock-ish. You are right that if you are flying cattle class, it's not comfortable, no matter how slim you are.

Also, I'm a bit of a tree-hugger, and wish public transportation was the way to go locally, rather than well, if you saw how many cars go from where I live to NYC, you would agree. It's not the smartest thing to do.

My plan for my June cruise is as follows:

Formal: Tuxedo

Casual: Buttoned shirt and sportcoat

Elegant Casual: Suit or sportcoat and tie

Please tell me if I am missing the suggestion so I can change my plans.

My plan for my June cruise is as follows:

Formal: Tuxedo

Casual: Buttoned shirt and sportcoat

Elegant Casual: Suit or sportcoat and tie

Please tell me if I am missing the suggestion so I can change my plans.

You've missed out semi formal or informal - depending on Cunard's mood the name changes.

Your Elegant Casual will cover semiformal or informal.

You may not have casual - there seems to be a move towards Elegant Casual.

Equally things do change from the plans told to you before you go, to those on the ship.

If you take all the clothes you mention, then you should be able to cover everything.

I'd wear a suit for informal/semiformal and then the sportscoat idea for Elegant Casual (not that we have that on QE2 in any significant sense - but either would be correct for either.

There are so many people who simply don't understand what Cunard mean by these various names - and I include the regulars here. All we can do is tell you what we do, and hope that helps!

I'm planning on taking a dress suit ("tux") and normal suit for the forthcoming transatlantic on QM2 - and will leave it at that.

I hope this is a little helpful - but until Cunard get their act together it will always be a black art.

Matthew

Archived