Dress Codes

Kindlychap

I give up.

Received the documentation from Cunard some while ago - the shabby bits of paper that used to be the "Voyage Booklet".

Complete with that is a A5 sized "Voyage Guide" which, for QM2 Transatlantics, states that there are three formal nights, one informal night and two elegant casual nights (first and last).

The scrappy bits of paper correct that information to three formal nights, one informal night and two elegant casual nights (first and last).

Tickets arrive!

Information confirmed as three formal nights, one semi-casual night and two casual nights (first and last).

Confusion all around.

Now I'm not personally troubled. I will go my own sweet way and do as I please.

But neither the USA or UK websites list "semi-formal" as an option.

USA recognises "casual" but UK doesn't. USA "casual" does not include jacket but UK "elegant casual" does.

How on earth is someone sitting in the UK, looking at the UK website to know what he is to do?

Or indeed, his USA equivalent?

This is just amateurish and Cunard should do better. No wonder people are worried about what to wear. It really isn't good enough.

Rant over.

Matthew

I think "semi-formal" is what the tickets, for some bizarre reason, say instead of "informal"... I noticed this is as well on my QM2 documents. I have no idea why, I have certainly never heard this term used in connection with Cunard before.

I think "semi-formal" is what the tickets, for some bizarre reason, say instead of "informal"... I noticed this is as well on my QM2 documents. I have no idea why, I have certainly never heard this term used in connection with Cunard before.

Oh yes - I agree. It's obvious when you know Cunard.

My rant was not really on my bahalf, but more as a plea for those on their first crossing who do not have cruise critic to do Cunard's job for them!

Matthew

Matthew, I think the term "Semi-formal" may have been added as a tip to Americans, for whom, informal is more likely to mean decidedly NOT dressy- If I were invited to an informal summer party, I would wear shorts. Semi-formal has traditionally been used in conjunction with dressy affairs (proms, homecoming dances, masonic and sorority/fraternal organizations) to indicate a shorter "party" type dress rather than a full length evening gown.

For instance, formal training would mean a class, scheduled, with a syllabus, hand-outs, books, and a plan. Informal might mean thrown together, catch-as-catch-can, OJT. (on the job training)

As for what to wear? Wear your smart pajamas and a smoking jacket! oh! and accessorize. Always carry a pipe! Briarwood is preferred, I believe!

Karie,

who lives in fear of the fashion police coming to take her away!

I think "semi-formal" is what the tickets, for some bizarre reason, say instead of "informal"... I noticed this is as well on my QM2 documents.

I suspect the whole thing is to do with the way Cunard are constantly changing their terminology. They update one section of their literature (be it part of the brochure, a flyer, the pre voyage information, the ticket, etc) but they don't update and reprint everything at every amendment. What you get is a series of documents saying what the policy has been over the past few years but not saying when it applied. As Cunard constantly changes its terminology you never get to a point when all the information is correct and up to date.

The situation isn't something new though - the first time I went on the QE2 they still used the red and green call buttons; by the time I went again they were out of use but we were still sent detailed instructions of which to use when.

Now I'm not personally troubled. I will go my own sweet way and do as I please

At least on QE2 we know where we are Mathew;) I take it that the days of the personalised voyage folder are over and we now have this A5 guide, but what are the shabby bits of paper you speak of, do they still sent the list of tours that can be purchased onboard?

Dont know if you noticed but l started a roll call for our trip:D

cheers

Myles

At least on QE2 we know where we are Mathew;) I take it that the days of the personalised voyage folder are over and we now have this A5 guide, but what are the shabby bits of paper you speak of, do they still sent the list of tours that can be purchased onboard?

Dont know if you noticed but l started a roll call for our trip:D

cheers

Myles

Difficult to say, given that shore excursions on a transatlantic are somewhat limited!;)

Matthew

Same here.....we can't both be ending up in Queens' Grill!;)

Peter

Why not?

Although 10003 is mine......

More seriously, I note that Princess Grill and AA are now sold out. Not sure how that is likely to affect things.......

Matthew

Would it be OK for a male pax to wear blazer, shirt/tie/slacks on formal nights or is it a bit rough ?

They would probably not throw you out of the dining room but no, this is informal, not formal.

Formal means dinner jacket/tuxedo or alternately dark suit.

Informal is jacket and tie.

Elegant casual is jacket without tie.

They would probably not throw you out of the dining room but no, this is informal, not formal.

In fact it is what a lot of people do wear for Elegant Casual. They might not throw you out of the dining room but you would be the only person there dressed like that! If it were me I would feel very out of place:)

Can I clarify?

We are crossing on QM2 to NY in August, I understand Formal for ladies to mean a long evening gown, but a friend who did 2 crossings plus the 12 days in between, last September, said the number of ladies wearing long gowns could be counted on one hand.

I would much prefer to wear long on Formal nights, but don't want to look out of place if the majority wear cocktail dresses.

Any advice welcomed.

Formal for ladies to mean a long evening gown...the number of ladies wearing long gowns could be counted on one hand.

On the QE2 virtually all the ladies were in long gowns - the number in cocktail dresses on formal nights would not have required a hand....I'll report back from the QM2 in June......

Peter

Ah well, looks like I will have to upgrade my evening wear from blazer to tux if I want to try out Cunard's QM2, QE2 or Queen Victoria. Really amazes me with Carnival owning all the lines like Cunard, Princess, P&O, P&O Australia etc, how dress requirements differ. But I suppose Cunard has its traditions.

Blazer/shirt/tie is quite acceptable for formal nights on Princess nowadays, last year on Pacific Princess I dined at the Capts.table in Blazer/shirt/tie and trousers of course, no problems, did not feel out of place.

On Princess and P&O Australia, many do not wear jacket/tie at all on formal nights, just shirt and trousers. At least I wear a blazer !

Guess I am an uncouth colonial from downunder:cool: Thanks for the advice anyway.

Call me an uncouth colonial. Thanks anyway.:o

Really amazes me with Carnival owning all the lines like Cunard, Princess, P&O, P&O Australia etc, how dress requirements differ.

It does not surprise me at all - what would be the point of having all these lines if they were the same? Part of the 'fun' of Cunard is 'dressing up' - and if that does not strike you as fun - then its the wrong line for you. A dark suit is perfectly acceptable on formal nights - but would be in a minority. A blazer would be in a very small minority.....

I give up.

Received the documentation from Cunard some while ago - the shabby bits of paper that used to be the "Voyage Booklet".

Complete with that is a A5 sized "Voyage Guide" which, for QM2 Transatlantics, states that there are three formal nights, one informal night and two elegant casual nights (first and last).

The scrappy bits of paper correct that information to three formal nights, one informal night and two elegant casual nights (first and last).

Tickets arrive!

Information confirmed as three formal nights, one semi-casual night and two casual nights (first and last).

Confusion all around.

Matthew

Matthew, trust me the confusion gets worse once on board, though I imagine on a crossing the pre-advised dress code may be more accurate than on a cruise.

As you know, we've just returned from the Med. The pre-advised dress code was 6 elegant casual, 4 formal and 2 semi-formal (or whatever it is called today). Once onboard, and far from one's wardrobe containing the necessary dresses, this was changed to 2 elegant casual, 4 formal and SIX semi-formal. I can't sew, so I made it up as I went along:).

This may explain why the dress on board was very much more relaxed than I had imagined it was going to be. The faint hearted should avert their gaze now (and I know this will give Matthew the vapours); we saw jeans on a semi-formal night and crop trousers and t-shirt (on a lady) on formal night.

The pre-advised dress code was 6 elegant casual, 4 formal and 2 semi-formal (or whatever it is called today). Once onboard, and far from one's wardrobe containing the necessary dresses, this was changed to 2 elegant casual, 4 formal and SIX semi-formal. I can't sew, so I made it up as I went along:).

It sounds to me that Cunard are realising that the Mary just isn't formal enough for her passengers and they're trying to do something about it. I saw on the QE2 that they were trying to introduce more elegant casual nights and both the passengers and the crew rebelled; The Mary has got rid of casual all together in favour of elegant casual; I can't help but wonder what the next change will be - back to formal on any night sailing at of before 6-00?

The faint hearted should avert their gaze now (and I know this will give Matthew the vapours); we saw jeans on a semi-formal night and crop trousers and t-shirt (on a lady) on formal night.

:eek: Mary - Do you have any smelling salts? I need them!

That was no lady.......

Matthew

Unless her luggage didn't make it on board.

One must always give the benefit of the doubt, Matthew~

Karie,

who wondered why one fellow wore the same funny T-shirt for three days on our January Panama last year. The first stop out of New York (where the ship was held hours for late planes due to an ice storm) was three days later in St Thomas.

Unless her luggage didn't make it on board.

One must always give the benefit of the doubt, Matthew~

Karie,

who wondered why one fellow wore the same funny T-shirt for three days on our January Panama last year. The first stop out of New York (where the ship was held hours for late planes due to an ice storm) was three days later in St Thomas.

Hardly. That happened to Julia on the January Crossing, and she put a good number to shame with the contents of her hand luggage.

There is presumably an emporium dealing in ladies fashion on this big ship? QM2 Fashions or whatever?

I'm not as charitable as you, I'm afraid Karie.....

Matthew

I'm not as charitable as you, I'm afraid Karie.....

Matthew

I'll remember not to send any charity solicitations to you, Matthew! <G>

Good to see that new blood didn't change you! <GG>

Well, I'll bet that person packs a few thing in carry-on from now on! Instead of cameras, jewelry make-up (all the things they tell you not to put in packed luggage) and of course, bon voyage champagne!

Karie,

who always tries to think ahead if luggage doesn't arrive right away.

Archived