To My Fellow Scotsmen!!!

taxdragon

If any out there are considering wearing your kilts for the formal night do not wait!

We wore our formal kilts and had the best time. We met so many new friends. Most either told us how good we looked or asked about what was under the kilt!:eek: Most of the time I responded with a saying I heard sometime ago:

"It's a kilt, if I wore anything under it it would be a skirt".

If a kilt can make me look good it can make anyone look good.

I am an American of Scottish descent and I am now shopping for additional wear for longer cruises.

I will post some pics if anyone is interested.....

Al

I think it is great you wear a kilt on a cruise. I have seen more than a few people on cruises wearing them in full formal attire. It is a very classic look and in some cases look better than those in tuxes. Although being of Scottish descent I may be slightly biased.

I was on a Princess Cruise in January and there were a lot of Scotsmen in traditional dress, both Kilts and tartan troos(trousers), they all looked fantastic apart from one guy we saw who was in traditional working garb of couderoy shirt and kilt it didn't look half as good especially as it was formal night.

IMO go for it you will look great I'm sure.:)

BTW I'm English and not supposed to like the Scots:D so no bias either way

We met some GREAT Scots on our trip in March on the Diamond Princess. Colin wore his kilt and wowed all the ladies, my daughter included! He went on to perform for Princess Ido, but did put some modesty into his routine, and it was a good thing too!

IMG_0185.jpg.22e9d198ad0f10104a74641f94b96319.jpg

...We met so many new friends. Most either told us how good we looked or asked about what was under the kilt!:eek: Most of the time I responded with a saying I heard sometime ago:

"It's a kilt, if I wore anything under it it would be a skirt".

If a kilt can make me look good it can make anyone look good. ..

Actually, my favorite answer to the "What do you wear under a kilt?" question was the one a guy who was on "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" used. His answer was "Isn't it obvious? ....Socks and Shoes!":D

On our first cruise we saw a gentleman in his Kilt on formal night and being a Scottish Country Dancer (American of Scottish descent) I was thrilled to see it---as many of the men in our dance group say "women love a man in a kilt" and it's true. The pictures are great!

Kerrie:)

We had so much fun that I just bought the entire outfit. I will use it for any upcomming formal events. I found only one drawback. As I have not had enough practice sitting in a kilt I found myself..ah..sitting with skin on vinyl. A sticky situation indeed....

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Is anything worn underneath that kilt?"

"Och no, madam, every part is in perrrfect working order."

I have been tempted to bring my kilt rather than tux but have been put off by the weight of the whole outfit. By the time DW ( a sassenach) is finished packing, I have room for three T-shirts.

Thanks for the encouragement. I may try harder in future.

1st off I'm not a Scottsman but I do have a good story. On one of our cruises many many years ago the CD was from Scotland. And he told a joke I remember to this day. He said "I'm from a small town in Scotland and for over a hundred years the population has stayed the same. Everytime a baby is born a Man leaves town". My wife and I still laugh about that joke.

• 5 months later...
After that cruise I was hooked. I now own 7 different kilts and often wear them when I go out. I get lots of comments. 95% good and the other 5% don't have the guts to be different from the other sheep....

While I'd love to order a proper "formal" (notice I refuse to say 'dress') kilt, the price scares me...

Might have to though, in time for my daughter's wedding.

My estimates indicated about $600 USD.

Am I completely misguided, or do you have a recommended purveyor?

My Day job is being a kilt maker, $600 is in the ball park for a nice 8 yd formal kilt. Mine are a little more expensive, but I also include a bonnet, tartan guarder flashers and a mini fly. I also have other alternatives that are less expensive. If you are interested let me know and I will send you a link to my web site. I don't want to just though it up unsolicited

Just sent out an e-mail. Let me know if you don' get it.

Thanks

T'was there when I finally got to the house.

Thanks!!

OT, Ren Faire is pretty fun here (phoenix). Have a friend who worked with the Birds of Prey.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the encouragement. I just got back from the Oosterdam hogmanay cruise. For the first time I took full highland dress instead of my tux. It sure is a conversation-starter.

Actual conversation:

Gentleman on the dance floor: "Can I see what's under your kilt?" Looking his wife right in the eye I said "No, but she can."

Most conversations were much more civilized than that. Nice crowd on the Oosterdam. There was another gentleman in dress military uniform. Good for him.

Archived