St Barts and Anguilla

geauxgirl

In St. Barts we rented a car through "island rentacar." They picked me up at the Gustavia harbor, took me back to the airport to pick up the car. We drove to Lorient (very nice!!!) and up and down (and up and down, etc.) to Governeur beach, which was absolutely superb! Then back to Gustavia for shopping, back to the airport to drop off the car (and they drove me back to Gustavia! Very nice!). BTW, the airport itself is amazing. At the roundabout at the top of the hill I suggest you pull over and watch the tiny planes make insane landings.

We ate lunch at a boulangerie, and dinner at Le Select in Gustavia.

BTW, if you don't like steep hilly driving, you might be intimidated here. Rent 4-wheel drive. All the roads we were on are paved, with good traction, but the whole island is sort of like Lombard Street in San Francisco. Having grown up in the bay area I found the driving on St. Barts rather bracing.

If it matters, St. Barts was my favorite island I've ever visited. That includes all the Hawiian Islands and a LOT of 'em in the eastern and southern caribbean.

Anguilla is slow and quiet. Let me emphasize - Very slow, very quiet. Where does your ferry land? We rented a cheapie car at Sandy Ground (where we tendered) and drove up to "The Valley," which is in theory the capital. It is almost completely unlike a true city. But there are more people, stores, etc. in that area. We spent most of the day at Shoal Bay, which is a truly awesome and spectacular beach. (You drive on the left on Anguilla, but traffic is so sparse and roads are decent enough that this is a very good place to test driving on the "wrong" side of the road!)

This is a place where relaxing on extraordinary beaches just about sums up what there is to do. We'd go back in a second - after some time on St. Barts.

Enjoy!!!

I'll be staying in St Martin for a week and will be taking day trips to St. Barts and to Anguilla. Any leads on tours I should do or places I should see? Just wondering. Thanks

I just got back from a 10 day vacation in Anguilla. It was a wonderful vacation. I would spend the day at Shoal Bay...near the Ku Hotel. This was our favorite beach. Take a stroll all the way to the end of the beach until you reach a small little bar called Serenity. It's so beautiful and peaceful there.

If you like to Snorkle, book an excursion with Shoal Bay Scuba. Have them take you to prickly pear, enjoy lunch on this private island and then take a short trip to a snorkeling site.

Archived