Taku Lodge Excursion - What do you do for 2 hours on the ground?

JeannetteC

I'm anxious to sign up for the Taku Lodge Flight and Feast excursion because I've heard so many good things about it. However, I wonder what you do for two hours on the ground at the Lodge. I know there's dinner but what else? At first, I thought we'd hike in the forest for an hour but it sounds like there are only short trails. Also, I see that there are bears around. We honeymooned in Canada and, while hiking, a bear killed a hiker a couple of miles from us and that was the end of our carefree wilderness hiking. Is hiking safe around the Lodge? For my active husband, would you suggest a helicopter trip to the glaciers instead? Thanks.

Yes between the 2 I would go with the glacier helicopter landing. My opinion only, I have been on both. Taku Lodge does have some trails if of interest and usually black bears (less agressive??) at least when I went. Frankly, I could have left a lot sooner then we did. Again- my opinion only.

The Taku Lodge excursion is the best Alaska excursion I have done, hands down. I don't think we were there a full two hours, but we had time to take lots of pictures of the glacier, admire the outdoor grill and lodge and eat. We were there the correct amount of time, and didn't feel like it was too long. Be sure to save room for the oatmeal cookies at the end of the meal!

Cricket

Diamond Princess, Alaska 5/15/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;15;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Diamond Princess, Mexico, 9/25/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;9;25;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Island Princess, Hawaii 3/20/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2005;3;20;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Archived