Freestyle Dining means NO waiter show at dinner!

Dunder

For my first cruise, I loved the song and dance (on Royal Caribbean) because it was new and exciting.

After that I realized that those Baked Alaska dances are always the same, every time. It started to feel a little ridiculous...

I'm a slow learner! It was about cruise 3 before I said to myself "how humiliating!"

-Monte

I'm a slow learner! It was about cruise 3 before I said to myself "how humiliating!"

-Monte

Don't get me wrong I loved it the first time. Getting pictures of "our" waiter who was the "best" waiter ;) Seems everyone was doing the same thing. It takes a while to realize just how humiliating this can be.

If you want to see those that made your cruise special sing you can still go to the NCL farewell show which for some strange reason I still like. I think because it is more about a chance to applaud and recognize the crews efforts.

If you want to see those that made your cruise special sing you can still go to the NCL farewell show which for some strange reason I still like. I think because it is more about a chance to applaud and recognize the crews efforts.

I think it's because you secretly love to belt out, "This is the Norwegian waaaaaay!" in your little cabin shower.

I actually like that show, too, especially when I see a crew member I know up there--our room steward, our favorite waiter, etc.

After I posted above about treating waitstaff like trained bears, I started thinking about why I like the NCL bar staff show--you know, the one where they balance trays of drinks on their heads and juggle champagne bottles and so forth. I decided it's because they probably audition to be in that show rather than being expected to do it (as the whole dining room staff must be). At least I hope so...hate to think about some hapless bartender being forced to practice balancing full highball glasses on his noggin...

I'm another that likes the farewell show! That is, until I start to think, "damn, I gotta get of the ship TOMORROW!"

Honestly, it makes little difference to me if I see waiters on parade (as I like to call it) in the dining room. Especially the part when the guests start waving their napkins :eek:

-Monte

I admit that the first couple times seeing the waiter parades/shows it was fun. But after 5 or 6 traditional cruises, it was no longer something that I looked forward to. I didn't grow to dislike it, but I definitely didn't consider it a high point of the cruises. Now, following many NCL Freestyle cruises, I have a distant memory of those activities and that's fine by me.

I'm another that likes the farewell show! That is, until I start to think, "damn, I gotta get of the ship TOMORROW!"

Honestly, it makes little difference to me if I see waiters on parade (as I like to call it) in the dining room. Especially the part when the guests start waving their napkins :eek:

-Monte

Yup, we like it too. Brings tears to my eyes everytime!

I hate it when I go to a restaurant and they sing happy birthday to someone............................................................. since there English isn't that great and they usually sound horrible.

Michael

:D

You mean when they sing, "Hoppy Birshday Two Shoes!"?

I adore Carnival but if the wait staff wasn't putting on a preformance every night, I know I'd enjoy it that much better. I could do without it. I think they need to concentrate on waiting on people, which is difficult enough.

Please save me from singing and dancing waiters. :)

We had our best waiter ever on NCL. Once we discovered him, we requested his table every night. It's sometimes hit and miss until you stumble on the rhythm that works for that particular cruise.

Happy cruising!

Kathy

The first time I saw dancing waiters was on my first Carnival cruise. My waiter pulled me from our table to join the conga line. I thought it was great fun. Now, I'm just not interested in that anymore. I prefer to eat when I want, be served professionally, get up and go, and get on with the rest of my day or evening.

The Freestyle dining on NCL was ok. The variety of food types was nice. But it presents 2 BIG problems in my opinion. One was that paying an extra $25/night for dinner was irritating since food should be included. But more important...no waiter show!!

One of the great benefits of freestyle dining is: NO WAITER SHOW.

Spare me such nonsense. The parade of baked Alaskas, too. Yikes, what silliness. Treat me like an adult, not a giggling child.

I hope NCL never stops having the farewell show. It's one of my favorite experiences aboard.

When we saw our first waiter parade on RCI, accompanied by quite a number of people swinging their napkins in the air (can you believe it?), I asked our tablemates whether they did it on every cruise, and they said yes, wearing this expression -- :rolleyes: It's just embarassing.

[quote name='Cruise_More_Often']I hope NCL never stops having the farewell show. It's one of my favorite experiences aboard.
.[/QUOTE]

I hadn't really thought about it much until this thread, but the farewell show is the one time when I really think the people on the cruise show their appreciate to the crew for a great time. Yes, I know that there are the surveys but I wonder just how many people bother to fill them out.

I've never been to a farewell show that didn't have a large amount of cheers, applause etc when the crew marched in and went on stage. Not bad, when you think about it, considering how often NCL and their crew often are criticized as not being "user friendly". IMO-that response to the crew shows that a whole lot of guests feel the crews are outstanding!

Well count me as one who detests the singing and dancing waiters, but loves the Farewell show. You really do feel the appreciation for the fantastic crews. I never miss it. But really, enough of making my poor waiter sing (usually waaaaaaay off-key) and dance (with his two left feet).

Take a look at this Spirit video :cool:
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jirCe4td8E[/url]

Also this Majesty video. :cool:
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPT5FsljD4E[/url]

Just watching it brings back great memories. :)

All together now! A-one, a-two , a-three >>>

You came into out world, from a distant land, for a separate reason,
And we, opened up our home, any time of day, any season.
We make your dreams come true, your wish is our command,
And we will be waiting when you return.
We have a way of life, free from all that's wrong, life can be contrary,
And you have a second home, sailing smooth is your sanctuary.
We never gaze your way, we'll orchestrate your day, we'll be waiting when your return.
This is your home, away from home, you are a part of our family.
We will be here, making your dreams come true, this is the Norwegian way.

Scaraoke!:eek:

I never attend a farwell show when the crew didn't get a standing ovation. Ocassionally, in 2006, the chefs were booed. Is it possible all the negative posters have missed this show? :D

[quote name='Dunder']The Freestyle dining on NCL was ok. The variety of food types was nice. But it presents 2 BIG problems in my opinion. One was that paying an extra $25/night for dinner was irritating since food should be included. But more important...no waiter show!!
[/quote]

It's free at the 2 main dining rooms. I think at least half of all restaurents on each NCL ship are free. So you somehow always managed to go to the paying ones. I don't think this is a NCL problem. You should've asked for directions!!! ;)

I loved freestyle cruising! I have nothing to compare it to because I have only been on one cruise with NCL, but I liked the option of eating when I wanted and with whom I wanted. We had the option of sharing a table and did this on a few occasions and met many people, or just having a quiet dinner with the people you are travelling with. We met crew over the course of the week that we got to know quite well. One lady named Emma we saw all over the ship. She worked in many different restaurants and areas and chatted with her everywhere. Also the waitress at the Java cafe was the same everyday and we went there everyday at some point and got to know her on a first name basis.

I agree I don't think I would like my waiter singing and dancing at my table, I don't particularly like attention being drawn to myself.

[quote] I find it amazing how many don't read the Freestyle dailies which lists every restaurant, what style, whether there is a surcharge, and the times they open and close each day.[/quote] I couldn't imagine not reading the dailies, I carried mine around like it was a map to the treasure chest full of gold. We reserved for dinner for about 3 nights out of the 7 at the various reservation restaurants and we only paid for dinner once. We ate at more than 4 different restauarants that did not cost extra money. I think people will always find something to complain about.

i don't know we kind of like the waiter shows... been on 14 cruises and miss it when a ship doesn't do it....

Biggest problem we found though was the decline in service in the waitstaff when (1) freestyle means you don't have to tip a particular waiter and/ or (2) the auto-tip policy
Seems that when these things happpened the level of service goes down in the dining rooms.
Anyone else feel the same way?

Archived