Star Penthouse/Romance Suite Aft

TamaLee

We are planning on sailing on the Star March 5th. We are thinking of booking one of the Penthouse or Romance suites on the aft of the ship. On the internet it shows these rooms as having a balcony that wraps around the side of the ship. However, the Norweigan brochure just shows these rooms as having a regular balcony.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has stayed in the following rooms....10726, 10226, 9732, 9232, 8670, 8170. All the detail about these rooms would be greatly appreciated...especially anything about the balcony. Pictures would be wonderful!

Thanks

I was on the Star several years ago in one of the BA (10730) rooms in between the romance suites and when I peeked over to the balcony next to us, I could see that the balcony doesn't wrap around. There is a wall closing it off before the bend around the ship to about the same size a balcony as the rest of the staterooms on the aft. I'll be on the Star in 8172 (AE) in October, we LOVED being on the aft of the ship and ended up going with a penthouse stateroom on our Mexican Riviera cruise in order to be there again!

We've been curious about those Dawn and Star cabins, too. A wraparound balcony seems pretty cool. Most reports say that they do not wrap around. There is a partition, sometimes with a door, but even then, the door is usually closed and locked. However, I have read reports from people who have had access to the side part of the balcony in one of those cabins you are asking about. I think 8170 on the Dawn was one, but that doesn't mean it's the same on the Star.

My shipmates on the Dawn this past spring stayed in 10728, one of the Romance Suites not on a corner. We looked over at the next-door balcony in 10726, and there was never any access to a side section of the balcony.

By the way, it seemed to us that there was slightly less square footage on the balconies for the side cabins, compared to the balconies for the center aft cabins. They became narrower at the outside corner. We also observed that the balconies for the aft cabins on deck 10 seemed bigger (deeper) than those for the cabins in the same location on decks 8 and 9. You may be able to see what I'm talking about in this picture of the Dawn - you can see that the lounge chairs on the deck 10 balconies can be pointed out towards the back, while the chairs on the deck 8 and 9 balconies are more sideways, pointed at each other.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/143581565/143575497ATUdmc

Lastly, my shipmates loved cabin 10728 on the Dawn. :D

Oppgaard let me know. I've booked a mini-suite because I didn't want to book one of the aft corners only to find out it didn't wrap around. If you find out they do I can upgrade before my final payment.

I have an AB booked but am also considering one of the aft suites. We had an Aft on Princess and loved it. I did a search for Star pictures and found this link:

http://community.webshots.com/user/brunolvr

Click on the NCL Star album.

There are some excellent aft pictures of the Star (they were on the Spirit) but it's difficult to see if it is blocked off. The uppermost cabin looks like there is a wall, but on the deck below there is a chair slightly over, which gives me hope! All websites show it as a wraparound except NCL's. Let's hope Oppgaard will solve this mystery for us:)

Great link karfest. It does look like the lower two balconies wrap around. Now I'm just trying to decide if it's worth the extra $1000 over the mini. I can do a lot of fun things with $1000 besides sit on my balcony.

I've got plenty of time to think about it.

I guess we have gotten spoiled with the butler service and since we have a lot of our friends going with us we thought the aft balcony would really be nice. Earlier in the year I took a cruise for a seminar at sea and for the first time was put in an inside cabin. Although I enjoyed myself, this is not my idea of cruising.

I will definitely let everyone know if the balcony in 8170 does or does not wrap around.

Well last night my DH convinced me to go for the aft corner penthouse. The pictures that Karfest had made me believe that the balconies on 8 and 9 wrapped. The bigger room will be great as well. Love to party like rock stars when we are on vacation.

Welll I just decided to go for it and book 9732....hopefully before we sail someone can confirm if the balcony wraps around. Maybe Oppgaard when you go you can check....you know...sneak into the room when it's being cleaned. ;)

Stucruiser101

Excellent news! Take lots of pictures! I have 211 days to go and I'll have to rely on those of you going before me to feed my need for pictures and reviews! We did the 7 day Mexico cruise years ago. It was our 2nd cruise and we only had a cabin with a window. We really thought we were living it up! I can't wait to have that big penthouse and a wonderful balcony!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Is there anyone who has been on the Star recently that had a corner aft cabin? I am wondering if it wraps around, I have read many conflicting reviews. I will be in cabin 8170 March 5. Any comments or pictures would be great! Thanks

Tater -

I guess we are going to have to find out together. I am in room 8670 on the March 5th cruise. Same room as yours but on the other corner. I'd love to compare rooms!

Please come join our roll call thread!

We were on the Dawn in January, suite 8670. Yes the balcony does wrap around but there is a door that is locked to the wrapped area. Also, it is not very wide. We worked on getting our steward to open it. At first one of the "locks" was frozen. They came and repaired the lock and locked it again. The steward opened it that night while we were out.(about the fourth day of the cruise). By the time we got back it had been relocked. We suspect that it was banging as the boat was a little bumpy. Someone must have complained. Our steward saw someone leaving our cabin and we had a message saying that they couldn't have the door open due to security???. I guess if it had not bothered anyone, it would have stayed open.

However, the bottom line is that this cabin is fantastic in our opinion. In fact we have booked 8170 for next January 22 for a Western Carribean itinerary. If you can afford it go for it as it is well worth the money if you spend any time in your cabin.

Any other questions, I will try to help.

Archived