Help! Son hurt!!!

mykidsno1fan

We leave on this Saturday for our cruise. Today my son got hurt at cross country practice and really cut up his leg pretty good. The doctor said he is not allowed into the water until his leg completely heals. We have a snorkeling excursion planned and he has been looking forward to this all summer! I hate for him to miss out and feel bummed because he can't swim or snorkel. Now is there something waterproof that I could put on his leg that would cover it up? I figured if anybody could help me it would be the people who read these boards. Thanks!

I would hate to give you any advice that goes against your doctors, so please just take this as a suggestion, but you could try the "liquid bandaid" stuff that has rather recently hit the market. I am not sure if the wound is too big for this, but it is supposed to cover it up like a bandaid without worrying about the bandaid falling off. I would also assume that it should keep water out, but like I said - I would clear any ideas that might come your way with your doc. I would hate for your son's injury to become infected - that would REALLY ruin his cruise!

Ever hear the term "salt on an open wound" ? It's *going to* hurt. :eek:

By all means, do *not* go against the medical recommendations. If the doctor did not offer any work-arounds, then there are probably none that he felt offered satisfactory protection to the injury, especially one sustained so close to departure.

Guest nhrich
Ever hear the term "salt on an open wound" ? It's *going to* hurt. :eek:

By all means, do *not* go against the medical recommendations. If the doctor did not offer any work-arounds, then there are probably none that he felt offered satisfactory protection to the injury, especially one sustained so close to departure.

I was just about to post the same. If the salt gets in to his wound, he'll probably leap right out of the water. Hope he gets well soon.

Rich

Carefree Vacations

isnt SALT WATER like beneficial to wounds?.... while snorkeling ive cut my leg pretty good on coral and was bleedin like a butchered piggy.....after i was able to shoosh away the sharks, i believe the salt water aided in my healing :)

Please be mindful of infections. I am assuming that you mentioned the snorkeling plans to your doctor, and his answer was no. Please do what the doctor says for your sons' own good. You want to make sure he is ok for future games. How large is this cut? Also, when was it done?

Go to the Drugstore and ask for a leg cast cover. It is something that you put on to shower or bath when your leg has a cast. It is secured with Velcro on the top and it will not let water in if properly fastened. I know for a fact because I have used then a few times with broken legs

Regards

Roger

isnt SALT WATER like beneficial to wounds?.... while snorkeling ive cut my leg pretty good on coral and was bleedin like a butchered piggy.....after i was able to shoosh away the sharks, i believe the salt water aided in my healing :)

I just saw something on Discovery/TLC (something like that) in the past week or so that said that ocean water was very bad for wounds. The microorganisms, even in pristine water, can infect an open wound very quickly. (I'm not sure if it's any quicker than fresh water, though).

I live on the Gulf Coast. My home is less than 100 feet from water's edge.

DON'T DO IT. The doctor told him not to get into the water for a reason, probably the bacteria. Even in clear, gorgeous water (unlike Galveston's) there are dangers lurking...and not all of them have fins.

Don't risk his health. We've lately seen three fishermen who've contracted a virus from wade fishing with open wounds they didn't even know they had. One died and another had both legs amputated. The other got to the doctor soon enough to be put on IV meds.

I have used (and still have it) the Xerosox linked above. I have the knee-high version since only my foot was involved (surgery) and can attest that it kept all water out during showers and using my pool..........hated the idea of missing a summer of swimming.

Not that I'm telling you to go against Doctor's orders...........just letting you know it works.

What happend to his leg is he was running today and a kid in front of him stepped on a metal plate covering a pit and it flipped back and hit my son's shin. It basically sliced off the skin and went a little deep. There can't be stitches to it because it's just an open wound. It's about 1.5" wide and 5-6" long. I really appreciate all the advice. I know we should be following the doctor's orders but sometimes I feel they are way too cautious because of the high liability. I would never do anything to harm my son's health but I figured there were products out there that he might be able to use. Thanks for all your advice!

What happend to his leg is he was running today and a kid in front of him stepped on a metal plate covering a pit and it flipped back and hit my son's shin. It basically sliced off the skin and went a little deep. There can't be stitches to it because it's just an open wound. It's about 1.5" wide and 5-6" long. I really appreciate all the advice. I know we should be following the doctor's orders but sometimes I feel they are way too cautious because of the high liability. I would never do anything to harm my son's health but I figured there were products out there that he might be able to use. Thanks for all your advice!
Please discuss any of the options you are considering with his doctor first!

If you have an open sore, and the doctor specifically told you not to get it wet...I would heed his words. There is all kinds of strange critters in sea water. Sea water is not healing, it does not have healing properties...unless you think there is some sort of mystical healing power in water that dead fish happen to be floating around in, and live fish defecate in.

You could try a dermabond type of product, but what if there is a small leak? Are you willing to chance your son's health for the sake of a snorkel excursion??

I had knee surgery last summer, and I couldn't partake of any water activities. NONE! I hated it, but I thought it was better to miss out than end up with some unidentifiable bacterial infection that no medication can kill (and there are plenty).

Kids heal pretty fast. The accident happened today, you don't leave until Saturday...when is your snorkeling excursion? By that time, your son could have a nice scab in place.

I suggest calling your doctor and explain the trip and ask once again about swimming. Discuss your options. I assume your son is already on antibiotics for infection in case the metal cover had rust?

The above being said, I remember a little girl that had a small cut on her foot, and she got a nasty staff infection from the lake.

There is a product called BIOCLUSIVE transparent dressing from Johnson and Johnson. There are various sizes as well. It says it is "Hypoallergenic adhesive film dressing is impermeable to fluids; permeable to vapors and gases." "Transparent Dressing is a thin, semi-occlusive, transparent polyurethane film dressing that provides a bacterial/viral barrier and helps secure catheters, reducing mechanical irritation."

Just a suggestion. Ask your doctor about it.

Hi Monica - I found you! Anyway, we had a similar experience with my son on our cruise 2 summers ago. He developed an outer ear canal infection 3 days before our cruise and the Dr. gave STRICT orders NOT to allow him to submerge his head... This of course, after telling her we had planned a stingray excursion in Grand Cayman. Like everyone else has stated here, the ocean water has all kinds of bacteria floating around in it, and THAT's what can cause an injury to become severely infected. He, as were we all, was sorely disappointed, but we managed to do other things and we still had a great time after all. Like another poster stated, you've still got the rest of the week to go, and there's a possibility that the wound will have a nice scab over it by the time of your scheduled excursion. Which day of the cruise had you scheduled that? It's probably towards the end of next week, right? Just make sure he stays out of harms way until then! Don't need another injury on top of this one!

See ya on the cruise!

I vote for staying out of the water! I fell in Roatan and cut my knee really badly and put a ton of bandages on, went snorkeling in Cozumel the next day!

Well, a week after I came home, I got really sick, thought it was flu, then a week later, still 102 fever, went to the Dr. who saw my scabbed, yucky knee and asked how it happened...told her, and she thought I had picked up a bacteria in the ocean through my wound! It took 3 rounds of antibiotics and steroid dose packs and inhalers and finally 2 months later, I was without fever and fine...I was REALLY sick! The snorkeling was NOT worth it and the worrying my family and I were doing wondering if I'd ever get well!

There will be other opportunities in his life to snorkel...the cruise will be great, regardless! Don't take chances on your health, because without it,

you've got nothing!

Goodluck and have a great cruise, regardless!

By all means, heed the advice of the doctor.

The infections present in even the clearest of sea water are nasty. I say don't go in the water. I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. :D :D :D

I have two sons, I would be okay with the following:

Treat his leg with the liquid bandage mentioned above, then with wrap his leg with plastic and waterproof medical tape, then rent or buy a Wetsuit/Drysuit and have him wear that.

If all else fails, take an inflatable blow up raft on your snorkel adventure, blow it up, place your son on the raft with snorkel gear on and let him drift along with his face in the water and his leg on the raft - when there's a will there is a way :p

of course, after all this have peroxide and neo-sporin on hand and use those generously...

I'm not a doctor but I imagine millions have swam in the oceans with scrapes and cuts, including me numerous times, still alive to tell about it... I think your comfort level will dictate your decision - have fun regardless

Monica,

So sorry to hear about the kid getting hurt. Now Lynn, Mona, Jackie and I will know to look for a child with a big boo boo on his shin. Anyway, I would try to get one of those leg cast things, by the time snokeling comes around he should be well on the mend. Go to any medical supply store and ask what can be done so he can go swimming. I dont know if you are leaving for florida on friday but i'd make an appointment with the dr. just to check it before you go too. Who knows he might change his mind about the swimming issue if he's healing well.

See you all in 3 days

Patty

If you have an open sore, and the doctor specifically told you not to get it wet...I would heed his words. There is all kinds of strange critters in sea water. Sea water is not healing, it does not have healing properties...unless you think there is some sort of mystical healing power in water that dead fish happen to be floating around in, and live fish defecate in.

You could try a dermabond type of product, but what if there is a small leak? Are you willing to chance your son's health for the sake of a snorkel excursion??

I had knee surgery last summer, and I couldn't partake of any water activities. NONE! I hated it, but I thought it was better to miss out than end up with some unidentifiable bacterial infection that no medication can kill (and there are plenty).

Second nurse opinion- totally agree with Heather. Don't risk it. There are so many other excursions to choose from. Try snorkeling at a later time :)

Archived