Rental car in Maui through NCL

niki1785

I am renting a car both days on Maui while on my cruise on the Pride of Hawaii, and I am renting through NCL. Does anyone know if I have to return the car overnight and check out another in the morning, or do they allow you to keep the same car for the two days? The reason I ask is because we wanted to spend the first day on the Road to Hana, and the next morning VERY early watching the sun rise from the top of the crater, just want to know if we will have the car that early in the AM.

I wrote a letter upon booking my shore excursions, requesting we have the car overnight, but as I figured, there was no confirmation of this, just a confirmation that we have a car both days.

Maybe someone has experienced the same thing or knows an answer to this?

On the Pride of America, I was told at the excursion desk that they were no longer renting cars, even though it was still listed on the excursion list. They may be still doing this on the PoH, but I would just double check to be sure.

Also, this is just my experience, but we had a nightmare of a time trying to find parking in Maui at 10pm. We decided to park back at the airport and take a taxi back to the ship. We had to wait an hour and a half before getting a cab, because an airline had just arrived, and no cab was going to take us over the air passengers. I don't know if it was a rare occassion -- the airport experience or the port parking, but it was a very stressful event for us.

On the Pride of America, I was told at the excursion desk that they were no longer renting cars, even though it was still listed on the excursion list. They may be still doing this on the PoH, but I would just double check to be sure.

Thanks for the heads up. We have already booked the car, so unless something changes with NCL before we cruise we should still be able to use the car booked. I will reconfirm this though before we cruise, so thank you for the warning.

Also, this is just my experience, but we had a nightmare of a time trying to find parking in Maui at 10pm. We decided to park back at the airport and take a taxi back to the ship. We had to wait an hour and a half before getting a cab, because an airline had just arrived, and no cab was going to take us over the air passengers. I don't know if it was a rare occassion -- the airport experience or the port parking, but it was a very stressful event for us.

Thanks for the tip. I am writing this info. down!! I will plan to arrive back to the port early to try to find parking.

Yes, they let you keep the car overnight but parking is very limited. I would give the Road to Hana the miss. Very narrow winding road it has a few nice scenic spots along the way but not worth the 3 hour drive and when you get to Hana it is just a black beach unless I missed something there was nothing in Hana worth seeing. We found the drive up the other side of the island much prettier and plenty of places if you want to stop for swim.

Yes, they let you keep the car overnight but parking is very limited. I would give the Road to Hana the miss. Very narrow winding road it has a few nice scenic spots along the way but not worth the 3 hour drive and when you get to Hana it is just a black beach unless I missed something there was nothing in Hana worth seeing. We found the drive up the other side of the island much prettier and plenty of places if you want to stop for swim.

That's what I am worried about. I keep reading the Road to Hana is long and gets very boring. Can you remember any spots specifically that you stopped on the other side of the island worth seeing?

Thanks!

if you found the road to hana boring boy did you miss alot. I could write all day about things to see and do. After being out there for a whole contract there is a still a ton that I didnt do. The goal isn't trying to get to hana. There is nothing there execpt a black sand beach and a red sand beach. Its just having fun exploring things along the way

That's what I am worried about. I keep reading the Road to Hana is long and gets very boring. Can you remember any spots specifically that you stopped on the other side of the island worth seeing?

Check the Hawaii port of call board for these specifics. Thanks.

The road to Hana twists around the mountain along the coast. The island waterfalls are wonderful to see on the inward side of the road. On the outer side of the road are wonderful ocean sceenes. People park everywhere to investigate and take pictures.

While its beautiful scenery, I suggest going half way to Hana. There isn't much to see or do in Hana itself, its the road getting there. By only going part of the way to Hana you'll see the wonderful scenery and allow you time to go to a beach on the south side of the island. There is a beautiful beach on the road to Lahiana. Plus there are resort hotels on the west side of the island and on the south side of the island.

You could also use the time to drive up the mountain to the summit and see the crater. Unfortunately its can be cloudy up there and you won't see much.

I would suggest booking the Road to Hana excursion through NCL, on the 2nd day in Maui. Renting a car on the 1st day works well. I suspect that some of the people who thought that the Road to Hana was boring might have enjoyed the NCL excursion more, since the tour guides give interesting commentary, and know exactly where to stop. You might miss some of that if you drive it on your own. If you enjoy scenic drives, then the Road to Hana is a must do.

And yes, the town of Hana is very nice, but it is not really anything special. The point of this excursion is the road to get there, not the town itself. If you're not really interested in the scenic drive, then it might not be the excursion for you.

Baskin Robbins makes all of those flavors and Dunkin Donuts offers so many choices because everyone likes something different... with that said, from my cheap seat, anyone who fails to be capivated the Road to Hana kind of misses the point of taking a trip to Hawaii... we've been to the island's twice on NCL trips during the past 18 or so months and let NCL do the driving both times so we could enjoy the ride to one of the most beautiful places on the planet and, like one of the previous posters stated, to take advantage of the expertise of the guide... both trips were worth every penny (even though mother nature and her little geological event conspired to force us to turn around at Hana and not make the entire tour to the winery and some of the dryest and windiest countryside I have ever seen)... if you like Wakaki Beach, high rise luxo hotels, and well manicured beaches with nice little lounge chairs the Road to Hana is not for you... if you want to experience the essence of old Hawaii in its purest form do not miss it... I wouldn't shy away from driving it either other than we did the Hana thing on day two and I, since time tends to be a nebulas thing to me I knew I could get caught up in the moment(s) and wind up swimming to the next port... Hana... geeeez don't miss it.

I would opt for the strategy of renting your own ride on day one and touring the west and northwestern portion of the island and kicking back and let NCL do the driving to Hana... we made a long day out of day one and saw everything we could ever want to see to include a trip up to see Haleakala... I would put that on my things to do list as well... pretty much a spiritual experience for me... we went late in the PM and intended to watch the sun set until my better half freaked out over the prospect of driving down from the summit after dark. Next trip I hope to hike into the crater with a backpack, bed roll, and some munchies and take in what would have to be one of the most awesome night skies on the planet... geeeeez... I'm rambling.

Seriously consider Hana and the ride up to see Haleakala crater and don't get caught up in all of that sunrise hype... I have heard it is a zoo up there in he early AM... lots of tourons... there was a handful of people up there around sunset and the splendor of that piece of real estate defies description.

Going back to the Big Island and Maui this year to scope out a home or small condo... I will be living there in a few short years... sigh... can't wait.

Lindberg's grave is in Hana. Watch out for the bicycle riders coming down from Haleakala in the morning. 38 miles without pedaling.

Actually, we not only enjoyed the ride to Hana, but continued on around and back the other side.

...the next morning VERY early watching the sun rise from the top of the crater...

Mt. Haleakala Crater (that's THE major crater on Maui) is a National Park and might not be open that early. You need to investigate that prior to leaving.

Also, there are often a lot of clouds at the top. You might not have a good view of the sunrise. AND... I could be wrong here... the visitors area of Haleakala Crater is on the Eastern edge of the crater.. so you look to the west to see the crater... so for sunrise you would looking at the sun with the crater to your back, or the crater with the sun to your back.

Definetly do the Road to Hana. Google "Hawaiian Style" and look for their Road to Hana guide. You can download it (pdf file) for like $14. It is very much worth it.

Wow, thanks everyone for the time you took to reply! I have read many mixed reviews about the Road to Hana, which we have actually decided to do. I don't think we can afford to miss it... from what I have gathered from so many posts it is really only necessary to go about half way to enjoy the beauty the island has to offer. Sounds like a wonderful way to spend a day!

The guided tour offered by NCL on the Road to Hana sounds wonderful, but we had to cut back on expenses somewhere so we decided to rent a car! I’ll be sure to make the husband-to-be drive though :p

I will also be sure to do a search for “Hawaiian Style” thanks so much! That’s exactly what I will need.

Maddmaxx, I’m very jealous ? I would love to be moving to HI and I have never even seen it yet! Thanks for your input on the Road to Hana and the crater!

Holg, thx for the tip about figuring out what time the park is open, I hadn’t thought of that.

Back to Hawaii planning…

The sunrise over the crater is a major happening, comparable to the Key West sunsets. The park including visitors center was open before dawn when we did the bicycle thing. The clouds burn off the crater as the sun rises. COLD up there.

DH and I went on the POH for Christmas and had a great time. We rented cars on Maui, Kaui, and Oahu but not through NCL. We never had a problem with any of it. Parking on Maui was crowded but there was a place to park just down the road with just a short walk so it was no big deal.

As far as Hana...I've done it, it was nice, but long. When DH and I went this last time we skipped it and choose to just drive to the other side of the island instead. We also went up the crater and it was again BEAUTIFUL. Take a jacket and pants as it is usually 40-60 degrees up there. If it's cloudy, just sit and relax for a while. It usually clears up.

My last suggestion...pick up the "Revealed" series of books. They are written by a couple that lives on the islands and were full of a TON of amazing information. With those books and a rental car, DH and I had the best vacation of our lives! Enjoy every second of your trip!

I just want to say that about a half-way point to Hana, while we were stopped and looking at some awesome scenery that was when my wife said "this is the Hawaii I came to see."

Archived