Just back from Glory- just getting over NoroVirus

JStarbrite

When a person actually HAS noro...don't they really quarrantine themselves??? Man, when you have that there is NO place to be but in your cabin. No one feels like wandering the ship when hit with Noro. When I get it at home, I'm in my room....spend most of my time on the bathroom floor, curled up in a ball. You can't wander far from a toilet when you have this awful virus.

The problem is you're not contagious only when you're in the throes of the illness which is why they quarantine, plus some people will attempt to go out and about anyway since it's not nonstop nausea, etc.

When a person actually HAS noro...don't they really quarrantine themselves??? Man, when you have that there is NO place to be but in your cabin. No one feels like wandering the ship when hit with Noro. .

I don't know what kind of stomach bug i had but your right, i quarrantined myself, i layed in bed all day, no way did i feel like doing anything, especially leave the cabin.

I don't know what kind of stomach bug i had but your right, i quarrantined myself, i layed in bed all day, no way did i feel like doing anything, especially leave the cabin.

Okay, I went and did some actual research. Norovirus is contagious longer than the period you are actually sick. Not necessarily before but up to three days after "recovery" and maybe as long as two weeks after so quarantining your self in your cabin during the time you feel ill is not enough to protect others.

Okay, I went and did some actual research. Norovirus is contagious longer than the period you are actually sick. Not necessarily before but up to three days after "recovery" and maybe as long as two weeks after so quarantining your self in your cabin during the time you feel ill is not enough to protect others.

Sense it was our last day, if i would have gotten quarantined, does that mean i would have gotten to stay on the ship for another week?

Darn, i could have had a back to back;)

Sense it was our last day, if i would have gotten quarantined, does that mean i would have gotten to stay on the ship for another week?

Darn, i could have had a back to back;)

I'd take a long cruise too, but since you aren't the OP, this wasn' about your post, but about theirs.

I'd take a long cruise too, but since you aren't the OP, this wasn' about your post, but about theirs.

Really, then why did you quote my post??

I was just replying to the post you replied to me:p

Don't reply to my posts if you don't want me to answer them!

The problem is you're not contagious only when you're in the throes of the illness which is why they quarantine, plus some people will attempt to go out and about anyway since it's not nonstop nausea, etc.

I'm pretty sure they only quarantine you for 24 hours (or is it 48?? There are CC members that have been quarantined, you could search to find out the exact number of days...but I gaurantee it wasn't more than 2) anyway, by the time you know you have it, you are in the throes. It hits suddenly like a ton of bricks. One minute you're fine and the next, you aren't.

So...you report it and they quarantine you for the 1 or 2 days. Most of the time you feel better in 24-48 hours although not all people are that lucky. Bottom line is that the speading you've done prior to the start of tossing your cookies, you did without any clue that you were ill. It could never be intentional.

And you've obviously never had noro, or else you would know that there is NO way you'd want to leave your cabin and go out and about.

If that were true then Carnival would quarantine you for the whole week.

One of our family members had it and was quarantined just until they felt better. Which in fact was 24 hrs.

On the Pride in '03, our second night after visiting Key West earlier in the day, I came down with what I assume was noro (I just hope it wasn't from Margaritaville). The symptoms were much like described above. I was down the whole next day and was fortunate to spend it in the shade sleeping on our balcony. We always travel with phenegren gel, imodium, antibiotics, etc. and I loaded up. Jenn would bring me lemon lime soda and bread for a little nourishment. I felt well enough that night to go to the captain's welcome party. By golly, there was no way I was gonna miss free booze. I was fine the rest of the cruise but Jennifer became ill during dinner our last night and was sick for nearly a week after we came home. These kinds of things are no fun on a ship.

A few days later, my better half developed the same symptoms. I am no doctor, but I'm pretty sure it was NoroVirus.

I am awful sorry you were so sick on your cruise. With that said... I think it is very irresponsible of you to blurt out the word Norovirus when you were not diagnosed by a Doctor. As someone else posted, your family could have caught a "bug" at the hotel prior to your cruise. Viruses usually take a few days to appear after you have contracted them. You could have gotten a stomach bug on the ship... that doesn't mean it was Norovirus.

Norovirus is VERY contagious, and has you yourself said, you did not hear of anyone else being sick.

I was on this cruise as well, along with about 40 others from our roll call. While we had a couple of people fall ill from either seasickness, or overindulgence where the alcohol is concern, not one of them showed signs of a virus.

We've all seen before that the media peruse these boards, along with some not so "cruise positive" websites, and they would just love to get ahold of a story like this.

I am awful sorry you were so sick on your cruise. With that said... I think it is very irresponsible of you to blurt out the word Norovirus when you were not diagnosed by a Doctor. As someone else posted' date=' your family could have caught a "bug" at the hotel prior to your cruise. Viruses usually take a few days to appear after you have contracted them. You could have gotten a stomach bug on the ship... that doesn't mean it was Norovirus.[/color']

Norovirus is VERY contagious, and has you yourself said, you did not hear of anyone else being sick.

I was on this cruise as well, along with about 40 others from our roll call. While we had a couple of people fall ill from either seasickness, or overindulgence where the alcohol is concern, not one of them showed signs of a virus.

We've all seen before that the media peruse these boards, along with some not so "cruise positive" websites, and they would just love to get ahold of a story like this.

This is very true. So many viruses are similar to noro. I do think however that if you get sick on a ship, it always seems that everyone assumes Noro. The ship certainly would assume it if you reported it.

24 hour virus

food poisoning

noro....all similar in symptoms. And yes, you don't build an immunity to it because I believe that the virus like most, changes so you can catch it every time you're exposed.

My heart breaks for anyone who gets this while on any vacation.

As for the media being vultures...we can stop that by not buying trash tabloids and watching irresponsible newscasts. Consider the media the trolls, and you know the rules: don't feed the trolls. ;)

I guess we won't be getting the rest of the review.....seems this thread took a different shift.....:(

Exactly! This is what I was hoping wouldn't happen to this review..I sail the Glory in about 5.5 weeks and I can't get enough info..OP, please come back and finish your review or start another thread!!!Like previous posters said, your positive attitude in light of the situation was encouraging..would love to read the rest of your review. I see KML that you are sailing next week...Please come back and let us know how everything was!!

Exactly! This is what I was hoping wouldn't happen to this review..I sail the Glory in about 5.5 weeks and I can't get enough info..OP, please come back and finish your review or start another thread!!!Like previous posters said, your positive attitude in light of the situation was encouraging..would love to read the rest of your review. I see KML that you are sailing next week...Please come back and let us know how everything was!!

Yes....we do sail next week and I was SO hoping to read more from this as a REVIEW. If I missed a review on another thread, let me know...........

Cruise ships do a great job at sanitation (probabably the best in food and beverage industry) and hold their employees to a high standard, remember the employee's are a captive audience, and live in a very clean enviroment. Most of the illnesses are passed from passenger to passenger. Hand washing, and really thinking about what might be on ANYTHING you touch is your best deffence. Remember you are going to a lot of exotic ports that have intestial bugs most of your bodies are not used to. These are being brought onto the ship and spread around by careless, or clueless people. Take the time to make sure you wash your hands after using the restroom (this will help protect you from catching something or spreading something you may have.)

The cruiselines are doing their best to protect you. Now ask yourself are YOU doing your best to protect yourself AND to protect others?

Think about that.

Mark

I wouldn't call the noro an ordinary virus and with all the news of outbreaks on ships, I am just surprised that jdjaguar and her family were allowed to board. The last few times that we have cruised (last 4 years or so, since the noro has been such a problem), we have been given papers to sign upon embarkation, indicating that we have had no stomach viruses in the last 24-48 hours or so. I assume that if they went to the ship infirmary, that the doctor put the entire family in quarantine.

Obviously, if I or any member of my family was about to board a ship and we came down with a stomach virus, the courteous thing to do would be to forgo our trip. That's why we take out trip insurance.

Am I the only poster that feels this way? :(

w/ CCL? i never remember signing such papers?

If that were true then Carnival would quarantine you for the whole week.

One of our family members had it and was quarantined just until they felt better. Which in fact was 24 hrs.

Okay, don't believe me? Check these sites:

http://diarrhea.emedtv.com/norovirus-gastroenteritis/norovirus-incubation-period.html

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/norovirus-factsheet.htm

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/id-mi/norovirus_e.html

So, I guess it's true, if the CDC among others report the same thing I posted. Remember, I said I researched it. Geez, did you?

I was just replying to the post you replied to me:p

I meant that I was responding to his original post about him being sick. So, I quoted yours to make the point that wasn't talking to you when you quoted me in the previous post.

Okay, don't believe me? Check these sites:

http://diarrhea.emedtv.com/norovirus-gastroenteritis/norovirus-incubation-period.html

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/norovirus-factsheet.htm

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/id-mi/norovirus_e.html

So, I guess it's true, if the CDC among others report the same thing I posted. Remember, I said I researched it. Geez, did you?

Well then I guess you better inform Carnival LOL! Cause they quarantined our family member until they felt better (24 hrs.) So I guess you can say my research is real life experience:D

Never heard anyone being quarantined for their entire cruise....anyone?

On everyone of my cruises they specifically asked if we had been sick with vomiting and diarhea in the last week when we boarded. Its scary the ill child was allowed to board but whats even scarier is some of the comments about Noro virus and the wrong information being posted in this thread. The website at the CDC has good and correct information on Noro Virus.

I was just replying to the post you replied to me

I meant that I was responding to his original post about him being sick. So, I quoted yours to make the point that wasn't talking to you when you quoted me in the previous post.

ROFL!:D Who's on First?:confused: :D :p

I wouldn't call the noro an ordinary virus and with all the news of outbreaks on ships, I am just surprised that jdjaguar and her family were allowed to board. The last few times that we have cruised (last 4 years or so, since the noro has been such a problem), we have been given papers to sign upon embarkation, indicating that we have had no stomach viruses in the last 24-48 hours or so. I assume that if they went to the ship infirmary, that the doctor put the entire family in quarantine.

Obviously, if I or any member of my family was about to board a ship and we came down with a stomach virus, the courteous thing to do would be to forgo our trip. That's why we take out trip insurance.

Am I the only poster that feels this way? :(

No you are not!!!

The Norovirus can only be confirmed by a lab test, there are alot of different things that can cause diarrhea and vomiting, however it can only be SUSPECTED Norovirus unless it's lab confirmed.

I was so lucky to have contacted this virus TWICE at work, and yes it was lab confirmed because I'm a nurse at a hospital and we had a terrible outbreak, I was not allowed back to work for 72 hours AFTER my last symptoms, however they did say that 48 hours is sufficient, but because we are healthcare providers they wanted to error on the side of safety with us.

A piece of undercooked meat, maybe something in the seafood, something you came in contact with, but especially something you ingested could have caused the same symptoms.

I'm not trying to be negative, and I'm soooooooo sorry you were sick for your cruise, that just sucks!! But I think people use the word Norovirus too freely nowdays and you can't diagnose it without DIAGNOSTICS.

<steps off soapbox and makes a Mojita> Cheers, Carole :D

Archived