Can I get by with a fleece hooded sweatshirt for glacier viewing?

suzyq964

We are leaving on Saturday for our trip. I'm doing a "practice" pack today. I thought I was doing pretty good--except for a coat. I have a fleece-lined winter-type jacket with a hood that I was going to bring for glacier viewing, but it seems bulky for packing. My question is, can I just layer a sweater under my hoodie along with ear muffs & mittens and still enjoy? I realize that it depends on every individual, but I would welcome any comments. I live in Northern Ohio, near the Michigan border, so I'm used to cold winters, but I don't want to be miserable. HELP!!

Sue

I have worn a windbreaker without any lined insulation on our trips in May and Sep. But the only time I put on layers was at the glacier viewing when I added my ear band and my gloves. We stayed on deck the whole time though and it was definitely cold. We stood right on the bow for at least 2 hrs and later discovered if we had moved back about 20', the temp rose about 20 degrees due to the wind!!! Nice to know AFTER you freeze. So you should be fine, depending on how many t-shirts you have on!!!

First of all, let me say I've never been to Alaska, so certainly no expert.

But when I booked our salmon fishing (in Ketchikan) I was told to wear something to block the wind and is somewhat water proof. I would think that might go for those early morning glacier days too, particularly if you're leaving this Saturday.

Just curious, what ship are you on and what are the stops? We will be cruising on the Sapphire the end of June......hope you will let us know how your trip went when you return.

Hope you have a great trip !!

When I was there last September I ended up going back inside several times to add more layers under my lightweight nylon rain jacket. Leave the bulky jacket at home and bring longjohns, tank tops, and short-and long-sleeved tshirts and layer like crazy. And I would recommend a hat over the hoodie. Oh, and I'm bringing lined gloves when I go back in two weeks. The pretty little black leather ones just didn't cut it. ;)

Thank you all for your replies--I am so glad that I had discovered this board. The information that I have received has been invaluable!

EYELADY--we are also on the Sapphire!! Our stops are Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, and cruising Glacier Bay & College Fjord. Being that you're doing Ketchikan--sounds like you might have the same ones.

I am getting pretty excited--Hope you have a wonderful & safe trip, also.

Sue

this just shows how the weather is SOOOO different each day...

for glacier bay, last sept...we had NO wind! (like yukon says "don't count on it") temps were in the low 60s. i was warm in my sweater and fleece vest...too warm.

we packed a light-weight windbreaker just for the wind, with the thought that a sweat shirt or something under it....that worked well for us. just remember the rain poncho!! we left the heavy coats at home.

do take some gloves or a hoodie for hands/ears...just in case.

I spent a chilly weekend in Anaheim, CA in March 2006. It was in the upper 40's at night/50's during the day, and kind of rainy. I wore 4-5 layers: t-shirt, turtleneck, corduroy shirt, hooded sweatshirt, and a lightweight windbreaker - and I was still cold!

I hope to spend a lot of time on the front deck of our ship in Alaska, and I expect it to be windy while the ship is moving. So even though it might look stupid to be carrying my Lands' End Squall jacket on the plane in early June when it's 80 degrees outside (and even MORE stupid when we return home near the first day of summer!) - I would rather have the jacket and not need it than the reverse.

So even though it might look stupid to be carrying my Lands' End Squall jacket on the plane in early June when it's 80 degrees outside (and even MORE stupid when we return home near the first day of summer!)
Nancy - I think you are going to look cute ;) .

I know what you mean about getting cold - I don't think I'm going to go to your extremes :) . I'm bringing the cuddle duds, a couple long sleeve shirts, a sweatsheet, and my fleece jacket.

Nancy - I think you are going to look cute ;) .

I know what you mean about getting cold - I don't think I'm going to go to your extremes :) . I'm bringing the cuddle duds, a couple long sleeve shirts, a sweatsheet, and my fleece jacket.

I don't have "cuddle duds" exactly - but I did order this (pants and top) from Lands' End: http://www.landsend.com/pp/ThermaskinPants-30774_170594_59.html?sid=6749175489062193090&CM_MERCH=SRCH

By the way, Cheryl - any "cuteness" will disappear once I don either of the two dorky Lands' End hats that I also ordered! I just need to add the hiking boots to complete the ensemble!:D

By the way, Cheryl - any "cuteness" will disappear once I don either of the two dorky Lands' End hats that I also ordered! I just need to add the hiking boots to complete the ensemble!:D
ROTFLMAO, don't forget the mittens and fur gloves.

Pictures - I want to see pictures :D

Don't feel bad - My oldest son's longtime girlfriend bought me a hat and gloves for Christmas - with the intention that they are for Alaska. Now she is 19 so her taste and mine are well - a LITTLE different (fuzzy bright maroon - and the gloves have fake maroon fur around the edges). So I will be a good sport and at least get 1 picture wearing the ensemble so she will know I do appreciate the thought.

You post yours and I'll post mine !!!!!

:D I find it amazing that people do not understand layers. it must be a northern thing.

bottom layer would be undies including warm socks, next would be t-shirt or tank top, and long pants (for excursions I prefer the convertible long pants with the zip off legs), optional layer (depending on how cold it is) long sleeve shirt, next layer is a warm sweater - wool or fleece, last layer is the water proof, wind proof jacket, hat, and mittens or gloves

Something wind proof and water proof is pretty important. As long as you have that for an outer shell you should be okay with a sweater and long pants. I am not sure how big the glaciers are in Alaska, but I have been on the Athabasca Glacier, which is so big it has it's own climate. It was significantly colder on the 1000 feet of Ice than it was at the glacier center - and the foolish people that were not dressed warmly, my DH included, were pretty miserable.

Oh if you get really cold then you should layer your socks too - a pair of thin dress socks and a pair of wool socks work really well.

If you don't want to bring long johns or leggings even a pair of tights or pantyhose under your pants will make a huge difference with a cold wind. A pair of tights and a pair of winter weight wool pants would be a lot warmer than jeans or khakis. Cotton is not very good for the cold. Oh and a hat -something toque like so it is easy to stuff in your pocket when you don't need it.

I get really cold even though grew up in a northern climate so I always have a windbreaker and long sleeve shirt with me, when I go into the mountains. It can be a lot colder in higher elevations and I find I don't enjoy the scenery as much if my teeth are chattering.

Cheryl - I can picture it now...most women will be boarding the plane wearing sundresses and strappy sandals. I'l be wearing long pants, hiking boots, a turtleneck, and carrying my winter jacket! If you think your maroon hat is not quite your style - this is one of the hats I ordered (WHAT was I thinking!): http://www.landsend.com/pp/RollBrimHat-30771_144739_-1.html?sid=0748105429312132000&CM_MERCH=SRCH (willow green stripe)

Thanks for the great tips, imogene! (OK - so maybe I'll leave the squall jacket home.) My feet always get cold before the rest of me in winter - so I may wear the hiking boots with several pairs of socks on the ship (when out on deck) - and not just when hiking.

NancyIL, thanks for the site. Just ordered the long-johns for me and my dd. I am freezing today in my house and it is a beautiful 75 outside. Not used to being cold ever, but had gastric bypass surgery and have lost 120 pounds over the course of 7 months. So not used to this, but it is all good! :)

NancyIL, thanks for the site. Just ordered the long-johns for me and my dd. I am freezing today in my house and it is a beautiful 75 outside. Not used to being cold ever, but had gastric bypass surgery and have lost 120 pounds over the course of 7 months. So not used to this, but it is all good! :)

Jees - congratulations on your weight loss! Now that you don't have as much "insulation" for keeping warm, I hope the longjohns will do the trick!

My feet always get cold before the rest of me in winter - so I may wear the hiking boots with several pairs of socks on the ship (when out on deck) - and not just when hiking.

So Nancy, are you wearing your hiking boots on the plane then? I can't figure out how we'll pack ours, so I thought we might just wear them while traveling! :eek: Though I'd rather wear my sandals, as I think Seattle in late June will be pretty nice and summery. :D

So Nancy, are you wearing your hiking boots on the plane then? I can't figure out how we'll pack ours, so I thought we might just wear them while traveling! :eek: Though I'd rather wear my sandals, as I think Seattle in late June will be pretty nice and summery. :D

Well...I probably won't wear them on the plane to Vancouver. However, on our land trip, our luggage is limited to 30 pounds of weight for our flight to McCarthy - so THEN I will wear the boots on the plane.

You guys are too funny! I plan on dressing for comfort and warmth, not style (at least not on this trip). I always chuckle when I'm at the airport in January and a plane from Hawaii lands. People getting off in shorts, tanks and flip flops and heading out into the rainy, blustry cold Oregon evening. Brrrrr! This time it will be me getting the funny looks for carrying my fleece jacket and wearing my warm shoes (can't fit them in my suitcase as it is already stuffed with all my other cold weather gear).

Nancy, I at least expected your hat to be plaid and have ear flaps! I am taking one that looks quite close to yours and I think it is kind of cute.

Can't believe that this time next week I will be in Skagway!

You guys are too funny! I plan on dressing for comfort and warmth, not style (at least not on this trip). I always chuckle when I'm at the airport in January and a plane from Hawaii lands. People getting off in shorts, tanks and flip flops and heading out into the rainy, blustry cold Oregon evening. Brrrrr! This time it will be me getting the funny looks for carrying my fleece jacket and wearing my warm shoes (can't fit them in my suitcase as it is already stuffed with all my other cold weather gear).

Nancy, I at least expected your hat to be plaid and have ear flaps! I am taking one that looks quite close to yours and I think it is kind of cute.

Can't believe that this time next week I will be in Skagway!

Bella - the plaid hats with earflaps...come from L.L. Bean! ;) OK - so my hats aren't so bad looking...in the bag. They just look U G L Y...on me! :D I am just not a "hat person."

I just realized I HAVE to take my purple squall jacket - because my dorky hats are color-coordinated to go with it! I can't be seen in that striped hat and a navy windbreaker! :eek:

Have a GREAT cruise, Bella!

Went to Alaska last Sept., style is not a priority for the majority! Those who looked stylish were really freezing their butts off! I don't regret my UNSTYLE, and laugh when I see myself on the film the ship photographer made of our cruise. Be sure to get in the filmers way and wave when you see his large camera.

Well...I probably won't wear them on the plane to Vancouver. However, on our land trip, our luggage is limited to 30 pounds of weight for our flight to McCarthy - so THEN I will wear the boots on the plane.

Good plan, I just wish I could figure out how to weigh my suitcases before we leave. :p When we went to Hawaii, I had to pay the too-heavy luggage fee both ways because I had waaaaay overpacked. haha

We'll see...I'll just have to get creative!

My husband asked me just this morning if a shirt, sweater, and his light windbreaker would be warm enough, because he doesn't want to bring a heavy jacket! When I mentioned I'm bringing long underwear - he thought I was nuts. Yeah....well we shall see who stays outside viewing the glaciers and who has to go inside to get warm! :D By the way - I think he is going to buy a medium-weight jacket.

Archived