getting deposit back

sea*siren

I found a better rate (for longer cruise on a different ship) for my Dec vacation. I cancelled my reservation with Carnival through their website. Should I call too? When should I expect my deposit money to show up? I used my debit card, will they refund the money back to my account or issue a check? I need that money back to book the other cruise! :o

Thanks!

I found a better rate (for longer cruise on a different ship) for my Dec vacation. I cancelled my reservation with Carnival through their website. Should I call too? When should I expect my deposit money to show up? I used my debit card, will they refund the money back to my account or issue a check? I need that money back to book the other cruise! :o

Thanks!

Will you still be sailing on Carnival? You should have just had them transfer your deposit to the other ship...

Yes, I will still be sailing Carnival. The better rate is through an on-line TA with OB credit. I guess I shouldn't have been so hasty, maybe I can call Carnival and see if they'll match what I found?

Called Carnival and spoke to a rude person...ANYWAY, refund should come within 7-10 days. I started off telling the guy what I had done (cancelled) and asked if instead I could have what I already paid applied to the new booking. That was fine until I asked him if Carnival could/would match the on-line TA's quote. He asked what it was, and when I told him, he got rude and told me that couldn't possible be right, he didn't know how they could possibly be offering that, and I must be mistaken, etc. Told him no, I had confirmed it by telephone, and asked him to just refund my money.

That guy kinda soured me, glad I am getting a refund. :mad: I'm just going to wait and rebook the other cruise with teh on-line TA (who was much more helpful) when the refund comes back, rate change or not. I'll calm down by then. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice!

Called Carnival and spoke to a rude person...ANYWAY, refund should come within 7-10 days. I started off telling the guy what I had done (cancelled) and asked if instead I could have what I already paid applied to the new booking. That was fine until I asked him if Carnival could/would match the on-line TA's quote. He asked what it was, and when I told him, he got rude and told me that couldn't possible be right, he didn't know how they could possibly be offering that, and I must be mistaken, etc. Told him no, I had confirmed it by telephone, and asked him to just refund my money.

That guy kinda soured me, glad I am getting a refund. :mad: I'm just going to wait and rebook the other cruise with teh on-line TA (who was much more helpful) when the refund comes back, rate change or not. I'll calm down by then. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice!

Good for you! It pays to shop around.....Have a great cruise!

Yikes, you better hope that the cheap rate the TA got you is still around when you get your refund from Carnival!

I'm not really worried about it. I'm changing to a longer cruise (7 nights) and I'm upgrading us to a balcony instead of an OV. Rate hike or not, it's going to cost more than the original 5 night I booked. I'm just annoyed the Carnival guy was nasty to me when he found out the other deal and then insisted his rate was the best "garanteed". Not so in this case I guess...:D At least for today...

Had a similar situation where my savings was $159 each to transfer the booking to an online ta. The pvp flipped out and told me it was very, very difficult to do and why in the world would I want to do that? $318 per cabin, that's why. I feel sorry for people who just say ok to whatever is suggested. Many times in life we need that light bulb to go off that says "wait just a d--n minute".

Had a similar situation where my savings was $159 each to transfer the booking to an online ta. The pvp flipped out and told me it was very, very difficult to do and why in the world would I want to do that? $318 per cabin, that's why. I feel sorry for people who just say ok to whatever is suggested. Many times in life we need that light bulb to go off that says "wait just a d--n minute".

Thank you bluefintuna!

His tone implied that I had NO CLUE as to what I was talking about when I told him the details of the better deal! As a first time cruiser choosing Carnival, I have to say, I have been less than satified with the two dealings I've had with reps over the telephone. It's been because of the many positive experiences that I've read here at Cruise Critic that I continue to give them the benefit of the doubt. Really, I'm not that hard to please :D

there was supposed to be a shift to level pricing. even w/ that i have not heard that TAs are prohibited from shaving some add'l $ off by reducing their commission. but, maybe the price difference was so great, that it raised a red flag to CCL that this TA is not abiding by the level pricing? i don't know. just a guess -- thinking out loud.

Thank you bluefintuna!

His tone implied that I had NO CLUE as to what I was talking about when I told him the details of the better deal! As a first time cruiser choosing Carnival, I have to say, I have been less than satified with the two dealings I've had with reps over the telephone. It's been because of the many positive experiences that I've read here at Cruise Critic that I continue to give them the benefit of the doubt. Really, I'm not that hard to please :D

Just out of curiosity, what was the price difference from what Carnival and what your TA quoted?

To the OP, you can still transfer the deposit to the new booking. You should just need your new booking number. The people on Carnival do not need to know why or how much, just that YOU decided to book a longer cruise on their line just with a TA instead of a PVP.

Dan

Bluefintuna,

I dont understand why the PVP would get mad as they earn points off each cruise booked not a commission. I book through my PVP so that he can earn his point and then transfer the booking to my TA.

I do all the research for my bookings so it is not a burden for either one of them. I just need them for the data entry part. It helps my TA keep her volume up as she does not make much off me with my MIL discount.

For the original poster, I would have had the TA take over the original booking, cancel it, and then apply the deposit to the new booking. It is easy for a TA to take over a booking from Carnival. They just need to know your password assigned at the time of the original booking. Usually it is the last 4 numbers of your SSN.

Dave

I had to cancel my cruise back at the end of April and I got my money credited back to my Credit card in 4 days, My TA said Carnival is one of the qucikest to refund. Now I don't know if I got the refund so quickly because my TA took care of it for me or if it is Carnival

From what I understand, travel agents are not supposed to be allowed to give a lower price than Carnival offers. I could be wrong. I would be interested in hearing about how your TA was able to come up with such a price difference, plus OB credit. Just curious.

I know EXACTLY how the TA did it! TA's can book a group of rooms when the price for the cruise is low. As long as deposits are given by certain deadlines, those rooms are held at the low price even if the Carnival listed price goes up. Rooms not reserved in this fashion can only be sold at the price listed at the time of booking. Booking a group of rooms of 8 or more also grants the TA choices of group amenities. The $100 on-board credit for each cabin is one of the amenities able to be chosen. I can't believe I didn't figure that out before, but I also can't believe that Carnival rep tried to argue about it. How rude!

Bluefintuna,

I dont understand why the PVP would get mad as they earn points off each cruise booked not a commission. I book through my PVP so that he can earn his point and then transfer the booking to my TA.

I do all the research for my bookings so it is not a burden for either one of them. I just need them for the data entry part. It helps my TA keep her volume up as she does not make much off me with my MIL discount.

For the original poster, I would have had the TA take over the original booking, cancel it, and then apply the deposit to the new booking. It is easy for a TA to take over a booking from Carnival. They just need to know your password assigned at the time of the original booking. Usually it is the last 4 numbers of your SSN.

Dave

I wish I would have known this a few days ago! Ah well, learned something new for next time around :)

Archived