I took the train from Villefrance to nice and it's quite a walk from Nice Station to the Beach and the beach itself was pebbles.

Here's the virtual tourist site on Nice - in particular it's beaches.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/France/Provence_Alpes_Cote_dAzur/Nice-100528/Things_To_Do-Nice-Beach-BR-1.html

Frances

There are several decent beaches within a 30 min train ride from Villefranche. If you head west on the train you can get off at Cannes and the beach is a bout a 15 min walk from the train station. There are sandy stretches where you can lie down but the sand areas are not large but they will suffice.Bring a towel. Also plenty of places to eat along the boardwalk and Cannes is very picturesque. Another place that you can go to is in the opposite direction towards Monaco and that would be Menton. If the beach is mainly what you want I would go to Menton. The walk from the station is also about 15 minutes to the beach. I feel the beach here is a lot prettier than Cannes and you can eat under an umbrella overlooking the beach.In the background there are mountains and the town is gorgeous. Whichever you choose you will have a great time. Also I found Menton to be less crowded. Forget Nice -all pebbles-you would need a chair.

-Rodan

And there is a relatively sandy beach right at the waterfront in Villefranche; you will be able to see it from your ship and from the tender as you go in, There are also several restaurants right along the waterfront there. The train station is also visible, it is up a couple of flights of stairs but can not give you first hand experience, When we were there last Nov on Brilliance OTS the French RR was on strike.:)

Archived