1st Time Cruiser with kids (2.5 & 5) -- a few questions...

mommy2boys

Hi. We are sailing on the Miracle 8/15/07 out of NY. This is the first cruise for my DH and our two boys (2.5 and 5); we are sailing with my parents and we are all very excited.

We booked very late and got a partially obstructed cabin (for 4); our travel agent (and mom's friend) said is was the last 4 person oceanside room. Anyway, this is not a biggie for me as I expect we won't be spending a ton of time in our room...but I am curious if you can change cabins when aboard-- does anyone know if this is possible?

Also, I have a few questions regarding my kids and would appreciate any input:

1) Does anyone have any experience with Club Carnival? Does my 2 year old need to be potty trained? Will they page me if he needs to be changed?

2) Does anyone know if there is private in-room, night-time baby sitting (we would of course pay whatever fee)...My kids go to bed very early and I'm not sure they would do well in the "slumber party" atmosphere late (past 8) at night.

3) Can you tell us the friendliest family-dining spots on the ship? That of course means informal and fairly fast...

4) Any must -do activites for the toddler-parent set?

5) Any other tips for cruising with the little ones?

Thanks.

I am not sure how you would change cabins. If you got the last four person oceanside cabin available, then what would you change to? If someone does not show up, and you are willing to pay the difference, I suppose it would be possible, but not very likely. Most likely your ship will be sold out.

Regarding your children in Camp Carnival ( http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/babysitting.aspx ) the following is from Carnival's website ...

For the convenience of our guests Camp Carnival offers babysitting services for children ages 4 months-8 years each evening from 10pm-3am allowing parents time to enjoy our fun-filled nightlife without having to worry about their little ones.

All babysitting services are offered within Camp Carnival in the form of a "slumber party", where kids can enjoy watching movies and cartoons. Pillows and blankets will be provided and for the younger children cribs are also available. In order to take advantage of this great service, parents should sign up in advance with Camp Carnival. The cost for this service is just $6 per hour for the first child and $4 per hour for each additional sibling in the same immediate family. Payments must be made with your Sail & Sign card and is due upon pick up. Carnival Cruise Lines does not offer any in-cabin babysitting services.

Parents with children in diapers will be asked to provide a supply of diapers and wipes and the Youth Staff will be happy to change your children during their stay with us. If your children have a pacifier or any other item that will ensure their comfort during this time, bring this along.

In addition to our Babysitting services we also offer a variety of Late Night Parties for children aged 2-11 years. These include a Mini Late Night Party for kids aged 2-11 years, this will be held within Camp Carnival and will run from 10pm-12am (Babysitting fees apply). Activities will vary from ship to ship but may include Candy Art, Dancing and Games, Hula Hoop Contest, Snow Cone making and Face Painting.

If you want informal dining, try the buffet. You can also feed the kids at the buffet during the first seating, then take the kids to Camp Carnival and enjoy dinner in the dining room during the second seating.

Bring a favorite toy for the kids, just in case. Our two (4.5 & 6 at the time) never took out their toys, but it is good to have something just in case. Also, bring a small present. I found some cheap binoculars (under $5 each) that I wrapped and gave to them after the muster drill. The idea here is just to keep get them thinking fun. If you take a shore excursion, let them get something. On our first stop they each got a wooden snake. The two wooden snakes show up on every photograph taken after that point except the last formal night photos and the pool pictures. Again, the idea is to let them have something too.

With your age children don't expect to spend all day doing adult things. On sea days we sent the kids to Camp Carnival in the morning and the afternoons were spent at the pool. For shore excursions make sure it is either short, early, or kid interesting. Again, cheap toy bought while shopping will mean they have something to look forward to on the next shore excursion (and that is a good thing).

As the previous poster said, I think it is all but impossible to change cabins at the port.

On our first cruise my yougest was 25 months and my older child turned 6 on the cruise.

As for the kids, no your little one does not need to be potty trained and the camp staff will change diapers. Just put together a small bag with diapers, wipes and a change of clothes, and label it with your child's name. (I used a ziplock bag). There is no in-cabin babysitting.

You will be given a beeper or cell phone (pretty sure it's a cellphone on the Miracle) that the staff will use to contact you as necessary. It only works if you are on board. I've only been contacted two times in all of our cruises, and one of those times was to ask me to bring more diaper supplies when I came to pick up my little one.

I know what you're thinking about dining and bed times. To be honest, in all of our cruises, we've had dinner in the dining room all but one night, and that was on the last one when we were still ashore during our dining time. The waitstaff is amazing with the children. If you order them a fruit plate to enjoy while you have your appetizer, and allow them dessert after they've eaten well, the whole meal actually moves along. I would at least try it - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Also, the buffet thing (to me) is just too hectic: who wants what from where, and someone has to stay at the table with the kids, and by the time you deal with the food and the beverages, and then get something for yourself, it's just way too much. Which is why we like breakfast in the dining room, also.

I see you are traveling with other family members so this may not work for you, but I consider having a booth in the dining room a life saver with the kids. They have much more freedom of movement, without the worry of interferring with the waiters, and my youngest has, on a couple of occasions, laid down for a nap.

As far as bedtimes, our first cruise, I started out pretty rigid, reasoning I wanted to keep the kids well rested (and therefore in reasonably good moods and well behaved.) It didn't take long for me to realize this wasn't the best tactic. In the end, we leave them until 10 (or close to that), as all of their friends are staying, and pulling them out earlier just creates a fuss. If I leave them later, they are happy, and when we get back to the cabin, they go right to sleep (I mean immediately, as we've bathed before dinner).

They have such a great time at camp, it's an effective tool to keep them on their best behavior. Before each cruise, I go over the "rules" (whisper voices in the hallway, no running, skipping or speed walking anywhere, etc.) and I remind them that attending camp is a privilidge, not a right. If they start to act up, a simple: do you want to go to camp tonight/this afternoon/tomorrow morning? brings instant obediance in most cases.

Cruising, IMHO, is just the absolute best way to travel with little ones. I hope you have a great cruise! Enjoy sailing out of New York - it is spectacular!!

Hi. We are sailing on the Miracle 8/15/07 out of NY. This is the first cruise for my DH and our two boys (2.5 and 5); we are sailing with my parents and we are all very excited.

We booked very late and got a partially obstructed cabin (for 4); our travel agent (and mom's friend) said is was the last 4 person oceanside room. Anyway, this is not a biggie for me as I expect we won't be spending a ton of time in our room...but I am curious if you can change cabins when aboard-- does anyone know if this is possible?

Also, I have a few questions regarding my kids and would appreciate any input:

1) Does anyone have any experience with Club Carnival? Does my 2 year old need to be potty trained? Will they page me if he needs to be changed?

2) Does anyone know if there is private in-room, night-time baby sitting (we would of course pay whatever fee)...My kids go to bed very early and I'm not sure they would do well in the "slumber party" atmosphere late (past 8) at night.

3) Can you tell us the friendliest family-dining spots on the ship? That of course means informal and fairly fast...

4) Any must -do activites for the toddler-parent set?

5) Any other tips for cruising with the little ones?

Thanks.

Weclome to CC. Come on over to the Family Cruise Board where we discuss all of the above topics daily. :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

1) Yes MANY of us have experience with Camp Carnival (loads of posts about it on the Family Board). My 3 (then 2) year old LOVED it in December.

2) No in cabin babysitting. You will not need it. My kids (ages 3 and 7) go to bed at 7pm and I had to DRAG them out of Camp every night at 10:30 so I could go to bed. There are sooo many activities going on, they won't want to miss a thing.

3) Most family friendly, the Lido deck buffet BUT we have NO problems taking our kids to the dining room. The staff really try to keep the kids happy.

4) You gotta do the Build A Buddy at Camp Carnival...for $19.99 your child can build a friend. My kids built a few...lol

IMG_0588.jpg

5) cruising tips for little ones...they are ALL posted at the family board.

Thank you all for the great advice and infomation. I am still a little nervous about the late nights for the kids (not that we stay out past 10:30 ourselves), but we looking forward to some free time -- an acutal grown-up dinner -- so we will be taking advantage of the slumber party option... We booked on Carnival because of the child-friendly amenities and are really hoping the kids enjoy themselves as much as we hope to : )! I have one more silly question -- how do you book the slumber party reservation -- on the day you board?

Thanks again for answering my post and am now going to check out the family forum.:)

I have one more silly question -- how do you book the slumber party reservation -- on the day you board?

On the Pride all I had to do was verbally let them know when I checked her in that evening that she'd be staying for the slumber party.

I would DEFINITELY recommend going to the Camp Carnival orientation the first evening, and you can find out how things are done at Camp Carnival on that ship.

Another tip: When we first got on board the Pride, my DD and I went exploring (of course), and happened upon Camp Carnival (actually we were looking for the video game room and got lost - LOL). One of the counselors was there, and invited us in to check out Camp Carnival even though it wasn't officially open. This was great, and so my DD was even more excited to go there that evening after dinner, having already seen it earlier in the day (I had difficulty dragging her out of there).

You may want to go and check out Camp Carnival when you get on board too, and maybe you'll be able to take your little ones in to check it out when it's nice and quiet.

Thank you all for the great advice and infomation. I am still a little nervous about the late nights for the kids (not that we stay out past 10:30 ourselves), but we looking forward to some free time -- an acutal grown-up dinner -- so we will be taking advantage of the slumber party option... We booked on Carnival because of the child-friendly amenities and are really hoping the kids enjoy themselves as much as we hope to : )! I have one more silly question -- how do you book the slumber party reservation -- on the day you board?

Thanks again for answering my post and am now going to check out the family forum.:)

Here is a dinner option you might want to consider. The Miracle has an extra cost restaurant (I don't know the name off hand, but I could look it up if you want). The extra cost is $30 per person. This is like eating at a four star restaurant. On slumber party nights you could book this extra cost restaurant.

We didn't do the slumber party, though we did let the kids eat in the buffet and take them to Camp Carnival before we went to the David Supper Club (the extra cost restaurant on the Pride). So I don't know what is involved. However, I agree with the prior poster who said to make sure you attend the get together on the first night (right after the first dinner is over).

Camp Carnival is located all the way forward on deck five. If you see the forward facing windows on the ship, some of them belong to Camp Carnival. For this reason, the cabins near the front of the ship on deck five are popular with families. However, the main restaurant is all the way in the back of the ship, and the ship is long.

Here is a good photo of the Miracle ...

Carnival-Miracle.jpg

Archived