Zaandam-Hawaii (2 questions)

sweet sheep

On the 15 day round trip from San Diego to Hawaii, do they still have the black and white ball? I went in 2005 and they had it but am going agin in 2008. (any recent cruisers know this?)

Also, it seems that in April 2008 the ship stays in Honolulu for two full days and does not go to Kawaii at all. Does anyone know why that is? Do they ever change that and go anyway?:confused:

Thank you fellow cruisers and have a nice day!:)

When the Spandammers went to Hawaii in October last year, there was indeed a Black and White ball. We did not stop at Kauai; we stopped at Hilo, Honolulu (2 days), Lahaina, and Kona (for the earthquake!)

Hi Shirley: We just did that cruise. There is most definitly a lovely black and white ball. It was beautiful. The ship hasn't stopped at Kaui in several cruises. When she did stop there it was for such a short time it was difficult to plan any cool excursions. Although I must say the trip on the Wailia River and to the Fern Grotto was something I will never forget.

Also, it seems that in April 2008 the ship stays in Honolulu for two full days and does not go to Kawaii at all. Does anyone know why that is? Do they ever change that and go anyway

I've heard that most of the 2008 itineraries eliminate Kauai ... in favor of the two nights in Oahu. The problem is that there is lots of rainfall on Kauai that makes getting ships in sometimes difficult. So, I guess HAL figured that it would make more sense doing the overnight in Oahu and just skipping Kauai. However, note that the 30-day Hawaii/South Pacific itineraries do give you BOTH the overnight in Oahu and a stop in Kauai.

The Black and White Ball was held on my Hawaii/South Pacific cruise in January 2006, and from what I understand you will also get one on 15-day itineraries. It's only on the shorter itinaries ... such as 7 or 10-day cruises that the Black and White Ball will often not be held.

Blue skies ...

--rita

The 2008 Vancouver to Vancouver 19 day Circle Hawaii does have a planned stop in Kauai. This is one of the reasons we booked this cruise again, and my parents have gone to the Fern Grotto and said it is an absolute "must see". The stop in Kauai says pending port availability and if unable to make the stop it will be 2 days in Honolulu instead.

On a February Hawaii cruise on the Zaandm they did have a Black and White Ball. They did not make as big of a production out of it, as in past cruises. On a 20 day PC cruise on the Zaandam, in 2002, they had the white chair covers, in the dinning room, and the black and whitle bloons. This time the dinning room was not set up and the covers only appeared on the farewell dinner.

Many tradtions seem to be fading. The black and white ball may be one of them.

On the Circle Hawaii cruise Apr 22 to May 9/07 there was a black and white ball and the chairs were all covered in the dinning room. IT was beautifully decorated.

Hi Shirley: We just did that cruise. There is most definitly a lovely black and white ball. It was beautiful. The ship hasn't stopped at Kaui in several cruises. When she did stop there it was for such a short time it was difficult to plan any cool excursions. Although I must say the trip on the Wailia River and to the Fern Grotto was something I will never forget.

I was on this same cruise with Kakalina, ( Hi T & V )

and she is correct that we had two days in HNL and

there was a Black and White Ball.

It was a great cruise.

Kakalina-You have traveled to Hawaii on Zaandam! Tell me about that please! What was your opinion about your trip. I have been to Hawaii once before on Statendam!

Also would welcome other opinions. Thank you very much,

Hi Shirley: We have done this cruise six times. Once on the Zaandam. She is a wonderful ship. We throughly enjoyed our cruise on her. She has lovely appointments and elegant surroundings. The bands were good, the piano bar excellent.

She had a good HotMan and CD and therefore offered alot of good activities and exemplary service. The black and white ball was an all out effort and the dining room was decorated beautifully for that and for many other things also.

There was a to die for Grand Buffet and an amazing high tea held in the show lounge. I am certain you will have a wonderful time on her.

I submitted a review on the Zaandam on these boards. If you have any other questions please ask. You can also find photos on our web page.

Archived