Formal nights questions

My husband and myself are sailing on Carnival Spirit this coming June. I already know that there are two formal nights on this cruise, I have already bought two long satin gowns for this cruise but now I am rethinking about bringing both gowns. I am planning on really dressing up the first formal night, my husband will be wearing a new black suit and I will be dressed in my long black satin gown, but on the last formal night I was wondering if I can get by with wearing a nice black pantsuit? It isn't glizzy or anything but something you would wear to a wedding. The reason I am thinking about changing my formalwear plans is that we are not only doing a 7 day cruise but we are doing a land tour for 12 days, I am so trying to cut down on all the clothes we have to take. Also if I do go with the pantsuit I doubt my husband would wear his suit, just a dress shirt, pants and a tie. Will this be acceptable?

Your husband will be most comfortable if wears a suit and tie on "formal" nights. (You'll see a few tuxes. ) Altho you also will see sports jackets and ties on formal nights.

If you don't want to pack both dresses, how about just wearing the same one both nights? (The formal nights are spread out.) That's perfectly fine and done all the time.

Or if you want to mix it up, take the black pants from the pants suit and just pack a pretty top to go with? You will see everything on the ship. Just dress for yourself and your husband:) The thousands(literally) around you will not notice if you repeat an outfit. Don't worry and have a great time!!!

He can certainly wear the same suit twice with a different shirt and tie. Personally, I think just a shirt and tie is underdressed for formal evenings but there will be others attired that way on your cruise.

I do not wear my formal dresses more than once on a cruise but separates are a great option. You can dress up black slacks with a sparkly top and great accessories.

I would not feel very festive in a black pantsuit unless it was a ladies tuxedo or similar.

Thanks to all for the suggestions, I actually took out my black outfit last night and paired it with some "killer" jewelry that blong to my daughter and I can't beleive just how much it dressed up the outfit. I plan on wearing my black heels with it and I think I will fit right in. As far as my husband he can choose what he wants to wear, I refuse to nag at him about what he wears. Being that we are doing an Alaskan cruise and do have a balcony we might just skip the second formal night and hang out on our balcony watching the beautiful scenery.

Archived