1st Time Cruiser -- proper tipping and tipping procedures

mommy2boys

Hi. We are planning our first cruise on the Miracle 8/15/07. I have some first time stupid questions regarding:

(a) tipping --

(1) who to tip (room steward? waiters? camp baby-sitters? everyone you would tip in everyday life?),

(2)what to tip (room steward-- 10 per day per person? how much to waiters? what is customary and proper-- we want to make people happy but not over-tip) ,

(3) where to tip -- ship cards -- what is this?

(4) how much cash should we bring?

(5) what is auto-tipping?

(b) How much should we anticipate spending for "extras" aside from excersions? We don't gamble. We are not heavy drinkers.

Any guidance in these matters would be greatly appreciated.

I'll try to help.

The $10 per person per day covers almost everyone on the ship. That is why it's easier for me to just leave the tips on the S&S card.

People not covered by this on the ship:

Room Service delivery. Usually $1-2 depending on what is ordered, how much is ordered and how fast they deliver.

Camp carnival Counselers are not covered. Give them whatever gratuity you feel compfortable with depending on the service they provide.

Maitre D' is not covered..... If this person does anything for me to make my vacation special, I might throw them a 10 or 20.

OFF THE SHIP....

Don't forget your excursion guides and drivers.

My rule of thumb is,,,,,Anyone who performs a service for me that makes my vacation more relaxing and enjoyable (plus who makes my wife a happy camper :D ) will receive a small token of my appreciation.

My list includes but is not limited to: cab/shuttle drivers, hotel housekeepers, doorman, waiters/waitresses, excursion guides, babysitters, bartenders, the guy who whistles for a cab for me, etc,etc.

Auto-tipping is what happens the day you board the ship. The $10 per person per day is added to your Sail & Sign account immediately. The tips will be added for each person, including children.

If you purchase alcoholic beverages, there will be a 15% tip automatically added to the bill.

The ships card is your Sail & Sign card. When you embark, you will either put a cash deposit down or you will give your credit card info. Each time you need cash onboard, you use your S&S card and the charge goes on your account. If using a cash deposit, they will let you know when you need to put more cash down. If using credit card, you don't have to do anything except pay the credit card bill after you get home (that can be painful!). Your S&S card is also your room key, and each time you get on or off the ship, they will scan it so they have a record of whether you are back onboard or not.

How much extra cash to bring is entirely up to you. You don't need any for when you are on the ship, but will need some for your time in ports.

BTW, the Miracle is a GREAT ship. Enjoy! :)

The total amount of your automatic tips for the cruise will be the first entry on your Sail & Sign account.

$10 per passenger per day includes:

$3.50 for cabin steward and his assistant

$5.50 for dining room waiter and his assistant

$1.00 Lido Deck dining personnel

It's nice to tip the room service delivery guy $1-2 each time he brings an order.

Porters at the pier should be tipped $1 per piece of luggage. They do not work for Carnival, and they make sure your luggage gets put on to the ship.:)

There is a 15% tip added to each beverage order at the bars, on deck, etc. so no need to tip them additionally.

What most seem to do is leave the total amount on the S&S account, and then tip a bit more to those they think deserve it. The Maitre d' is a salaried employee and not necessary to tip him unless you just want to...an envelope will be in your cabin on the last evening IF you decide to do so.

Archived