Huntington Beach/Sunset Beach Hotel Recommendations?

We want to spend a few days pre-cruise in the Huntington Beach area, since a few of the teenage boys in our group are surfers. Can anyone recommend any reasonable hotels/motels? We will have a rental car so we can travel around the area to check out different beaches, etc.

Also, any surfers out there who could recommend good surf spots and board rental places for some 18-year old (probably intermediate level) surfers??

Thanks.

You didn't say what time of year, but you might want to consider renting one of the beach houses at Crystal Cove (if you can get reservations). These are vintage old California beach cottages, preserved in a state park, and would give you and your boys a unique So Cal beach experience. Crystal Cove is south of Newport and nearly to Laguna, so it is further south than Huntington Beach, but it is a fairly quick drive up the coast to get to Huntington Beach and not bad traffic except on the warmest of summer weekends.

There are only four hotels in Huntington Beach that are walking distance to the Beach. The Hyatt and the Waterfront Hilton (both expensive, but you might be able to do Priceline, I got the Hyatt for $99 that way a couple of years ago; otherwise, do you have point?). The other two places are the Sun and Sands, and the Best Western Huntington Beach Inn. I cannot vouch for either of these two, having never stayed there. Be aware that "Beach Blvd" goes to the Beach (perpendicular to shoreline), but any hotels or motels on Beach Blvd are more than a mile from the Beach. Only those on Pacific Coast Highway are AT the Beach.

This motel is right at the beach. You cannot get much closer. I would highly recommend it. The price is reasonable because it is not downtown Huntington Beach, it is about 2 miles north, however it is at the beach for surfing and at the bike path and at Huntington Harbour where you can rent kayaks and electric boats (Duffy's is what we call them).

http://www.oceanfrontramada.com/

This motel is right at the beach. You cannot get much closer. I would highly recommend it. The price is reasonable because it is not downtown Huntington Beach, it is about 2 miles north, however it is at the beach for surfing and at the bike path and at Huntington Harbour where you can rent kayaks and electric boats (Duffy's is what we call them).

http://www.oceanfrontramada.com/

I assume you've actually been there or stayed there? It looked perfect, and I (and a friend of mine) actually booked it immediately. We'll be there in February (during President's week) from Thursday until we sail on Sunday.

I was later looking at some sites through google and saw some bad reviews on this hotel though - so just wanted to double check and see if you thought it was good. I also read some good reviews, so go figure. I'm hoping some people just like to complain!

It really looked the best (especially for the price - we don't want to spend a forture) - especially being able to walk out onto the beach; plus they have the continental breakfast, etc. Someone mentioned it being noisy (on 6-lane PCH) and not a great area, but it looks great on the website.

I'm assuming it should be fine. Would love some reassurance though!!

Thanks.

Hello..

I live in HB and, if you have a group of surfers with you, I would recommend a hotel closer to Main Street/Huntington Beach Pier. The Sun and Sand (like the Ramada) is a basic, fairly inexpensive hotel, but the advantage is that it's only three blocks from the Pier. The kids can rent boards at several shops there on Main Street and you will find a lot of inexpensive and unique...or upscale...places to eat.

There is nothing wrong with the Ramada, but being near the Pier will save you a lot of driving. Both the Hilton and the Hyatt are lovely if they fit your budget...and also close to the Pier. They're just much more upscale than the very simple hotel.

Enjoy!

There is nothing wrong at all with this hotel. It is a basic Ramada with a great ocean view. I have stayed here, sent friends there and I live about 5 miles. The Surf and Sand is also a very good choice, though I have never been in any of the rooms. Murphysmom is absolutely right. You will probably have to pay a bit more for the Surf and Sand, but you are much nearer the pier and the downtown Huntington Beach activity.

I have to agree with Murphysmom. Summertime parking and traffic are always a problem in HB, and not having to ferry kids and surfboards back and forth to the Ramada from the prime surf areas, which are near the pier, will be to your advantage. Nothing wrong with the Ramada, it's just an extra seven or eight minutes north of downtown HB. Either way, enjoy your stay.

Thank you all for you replies - it really means a lot, especially since you are locals!! I think I did check out the Sun & Sand at some point - will take a look again. Glad to hear that the Ramada is good. Just thought the kids might like being right on the beach. Are you able to surf right there where the Ramada is, or do you think we'd always be heading to Huntington Beach?

We're there in February (President's week vacation back East). The kids are not expert surfers - kind of intermediate I guess - if that matters.:)

Hello...Murphysmum here...

Yes, the kids can walk to surf spots from the Ramada. There is a beach path that starts there and they can walk to the left (facing ocean) about a mile and they'll find people surfing from that area all the way to the Pier.

I don't know how much time you have in town, but that might satisfy them for one day. However, if they're surfers and have heard of the Huntington Beach Pier, Surf City, etc., they WILL want to surf at or near the Pier, walk down Main Street and hang out where most of the "surf culture" is....There's a Surf Museum right off of Main Street that may interest them as well as a lot of nice places to eat.

On weekends, there's usually some kind of event going on; they might find a surf contest to watch.

There is the "sport/enjoyment" of surfing and the "culture" of surfing. If this is their first time in HB, I think they'll want to spend time closer to the Pier.

Having said that, although parking is tight in that area, there is a large public parking lot, so if you really want to stay at the Ramada and want to drive, it's no big deal....except for how to get boards back and forth in a rental car.

The hotel that I suggested previously is right across from the Pier area with it's own parking.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy yourselves!!!

murphsymum

Okay, not I'm really baffled - such decisions!! :) The Sun & Sand was much more expensive and no complimentary breakfasts I don't think. Don't really want to spend a lot on a hotel, since we're staying 3 nights before the cruise - have to add rental car, surfboard rentals, food, etc.

I had originally thought of the Comfort Suites on Beach Blvd. - but seems like that's a few miles out of town - probabaly far away from everything? Then I saw the Best Western Regency. The other Best Western across from the beach is too expensive, but the Regency is very reasonable and says it's 1.6 miles from HB. Do you know anything about that one? Thought that might be better so they can be experience the culture of HB as you say. The boys would probably prefer that, rather than being in a hotel on the beach further away. Plus a mile with the surfboards is kind of a hike . . .

I think they'd enjoy just being in the hub of "Surf City", exploring and seeing whatever is going on.

Appreciate all of your input!

Sue

For a motel, there is nothing wrong with it, and it is 1.6 miles from the beach as it says but about a bit over 2 miles from the pier, shops and excitement of Surf City downtown as mentioned above. There is not really anything around it interesting. So you will have to drive and park. Parking can be a challenge and expensive, but it still could be cheaper than staying at the Sun & Sands. The advantage of course of the Sun & Sands is you will not need to move your car once you get there as everything will be within walking distance. It is in the middle of everything. As for the Ramada, murphysmom is absolutely correct. It is also not in the middle of the Surf City excitement, but it is on the beach.

Whatever you decide. Have fun!

Archived