Is the water safe to drink?

newyork

Ships use reverse osmosis for filtering water on board. That's only one of 2 ways to filter out EVERY impurity. The other way is radiation, but that's too costly. It's cleaner than bottled water! In my opinion, it's very tasty: very clean. Don't bother with bottled.

It probably is the cleanest water you can drink but I still cant seem to get myself to drink it. I don't know why. I don't drink much water anyway when I'm on a cruise. Usually too busy drinking all the other stuff they offer.;)

We sail Saturday on the Spirit and was just wondering if you can drink the tap water.

Also, how much is a bottle of water - I've heard anywhere from $2.00 - $4.50.

Thanks

Not sure of the price of bottled water BUT...water on the ship is fine:)

Relax and enjoy your cruise!

Ships use reverse osmosis for filtering water on board. That's only one of 2 ways to filter out EVERY impurity. The other way is radiation, but that's too costly. It's cleaner than bottled water! In my opinion, it's very tasty: very clean. Don't bother with bottled.

OK, for five years while I was in the Navy my job was to make water. I used to baby-sit a 30,000 gallon per day flash distillation plant... no reverse osmosis. I made water that was less than .02 parts per million chloride... that's from sea water to damned-near chemically pure in less than 30 seconds.... really.

Pretty neat trick to boil water that is only 175 degrees F. (under a vaccuum)

Cruise ships use both flash distillation and reverse osmosis.

They also follow, as the Navy does, strict guidelines when it comes to making potable water. Forexample they don't make potable water when within 25 miles of land.

So the answer to the OP is yes, drink the tap water onboard. I used to drink the water right off the sample tap on my distiller.

We sail Saturday on the Spirit and was just wondering if you can drink the tap water.

Also, how much is a bottle of water - I've heard anywhere from $2.00 - $4.50.

Thanks

just off jewel. the water is better than what you can get out of your tap.

at the bars and in the rest's there is a "water menu", very LA, and the water goes for $3.50 - $8.00 a bottle. drink tap w/ lemon, it's very oh la la!!!

I have to agree with everyone else. DH and I are very picky about water and have an RO system at home. We've always found the tap water on ships (every line we've cruised with) to be good to very good. We are also club soda/seltzer "fiends" (it's pretty much all DH drinks besides a diet coke or two and a cup of coffee), and the fountain club soda (base for the syrup drinks) has always been good to excellent on the ships. No complaints at all. We only bring bottled water for taking with us on port days. (Or in the case of PoH, all kinds of bottled still and sparkling water were a perk with our Courtyard Villa, so yes, we did indulge in many, many of those. Ah, the French and Italian waters--pinkies up, so to speak.)

beachchick

Archived