San Fran: Can I walk from the Hyatt FW to Pier 35?

hrhdhd

Being frugal (some might say cheap), I'm wondering if DH and I can walk from the Hyatt at Fisherman's Wharf (with luggage) to Pier 35 to check in and board the Dawn Princess. Any thoughts? What would a cab ride cost? Would it be faster, or would we just get caught in pier traffic?

Thanks.

PDAZ -- Thanks for posting the map with the location of Hyatt. Now I can give my opinion.

To give an idea, it is a 10 min walk from North Point Center to the Cruise Terminal. So it will be a 15 min walk from Hyatt all on level ground. With one carry-on and one regular size luggage, it is a comfortable walk.

Should you decide to take a cab, do a map quest driving map. My recollection is that it is quite tricky to get from the hotel side to the pier side of The Embarcadero. So I suggest if you take a cab, ask the cab driver to drop you at the corner of North Point & Kearny or Bay & Kearny and you cross The Embarcadero at one of the two traffic light controlled pedestrian crossings opposite the Pier. Generally in SF, Cabs are reluctant to take short fares./Sultan

Actually, it was looking at the map that made me think it wouldn't be a bad walk (looks like only 5 blocks). It's nice to know that it's a level walk. I figure it will be 15-20 minutes of discomfort but will save the aggravation of having to find a cab and convince him/her to take us a relatively short way.

Thanks again.

The 5 blocks aren't bad if you're sight seeing, but there are CROWDS along that stretch of land and lugging your luggage in and out is a huge nightmare. Pedestrians don't always have the right away, you're crossing the street sometimes with huge groups of people and generally they won't watch out for you they'll walk around you (or into you). It's sometimes a huge nightmare to just walk amongst the crowds, and for some reason unless my DH and I are hanging on to each other's hands for dear life we always manage to get separated. When we were dating, my DH lived in the city and I would spend weekends at his house so that I could play tourist and this was one of my favorite places to go. Since you're staying at the Hyatt, ask if they have a shuttle service that could drop you off, or "splurge" the $10 for a cab (which is probably right outside the hotel lobby)...heck you've just splurged for a nice hotel and cruise.

Depending on your luggage load it is definitely doable.... I tend to overpack and probably wouldn't have enough arms - but as someone earlier mentioned, the walk can be easier than the cab ride with the traffic & such. Just be patient with the crowds that would be walking toward you as they are probably parking in the cheaper lots and walking toward the Pier 39/Wharf area.

We took a cab from the Holiday Inn Fisherman's Wharf to the cruise pier and it was only like $5-$6. Much easier than walking!!

As a side note, the historic streetcars run right by there. It would be a bit of a squeeze with luggage but they are only $1.50.

Good luck and have fun!!

I agree it's a pleasant walk when unencombered, but with a large amount of luggage, tourist crowds, and narrow walkways due to shops and streetside food vendors and such I think it would be a nightmare...but that's just my opinion. I personally would spend the $5-$6 for a cab, my time is definately worth more than that.

I like to think I'm as fiscally responsible (read thrifty) as most. You can ask my kids for references. Anyway, when we were doing out Pacific Coastal to Vancouver we took BART (local train) from the suburbs to the Embarcadero station (read Hyatt) and then a cab for $5-$10 (I don't remember) to the ship. I did not want to haul my luggage along the Embarcadero. Depends on how much luggage you have and whether showers are available when you get to the ship.

We took a cab from the Holiday Inn Fisherman's Wharf to the cruise pier and it was only like $5-$6. Much easier than walking!!

As a side note, the historic streetcars run right by there. It would be a bit of a squeeze with luggage but they are only $1.50.

Good luck and have fun!!

Regarding the streetcars...........they are often packed with tourists. We live close to SF and did a "dry run" with my parents to check out how we'd get from the Embarcadero BART to the pier. We had to wait for several streetcars before there was one that had space (standing room). Decided it would be too much of a hassle with luggage so we ended up taking a taxi on the real day; $10, including a generous tip as the driver was really friendly and we didn't want to mess with making change.:) It was a pleasant walk back to BART (after I saw my parents off), but that was without luggage, of course.

Some of those who replied (including polodad) are confusing HyattFW with Hyatt Regency. Let us be "absolutely" clear that from HyattFW one walks along Northpoint -- no Embarcadero no tourists no crowds! Whether OP wishes to take a cab or walk or run is his/her choice, but let us not confuse OP by talking about Embarcadero! /Sultan

Okay, here's the walk-to-the-ship report:

To catch the ship on Monday, May 21, we walked from the Hyatt FW (on North Point) to the pier. It was a reasonably do-able walk, although despite the chilly (to us Floridians) weather, we did get quite warm pulling all the luggage. There were no crowds and few other pedestrians at the time (maybe around 11:45 a.m.), so we didn't have any trouble with that. We were happy to give a porter the bags, though. :D

To return to the same hotel for a one-night post-cruise stay on Thursday, May 31, we took a cab. Yes, I shelled out $10 for a short cab ride, but we had an additional bag (how does that happen? :confused: ), and we were reluctant to ruin our post-cruise bliss with a schlep up the street.

And now, of course, laundry has eliminated any post-cruise bliss.

Thanks for the update. It was not the cab fare that made me encourage walking but the snotty attitude of the cab drivers for the short ride! It spoils my day even when I am anticipating it. Pier to hotel is OK because they rush back quickly hoping for an airport pax. Glad you survived and enjoyed the cruise. /Sultan

Some of those who replied (including polodad) are confusing HyattFW with Hyatt Regency

Sultan is absolutely correct. I misread my Hyatts. You can walk fron the Fisherman's Wharf Hyatt easily. Sorry, I can't post here and work at the same time. Guess I'm just gonna have to quit my job, lol.

Archived