Just Returned from AOS 8/1/04 Cruise--nothing special.

Returned home yesterday from a week onboard Adventure of the Seas--8/01/04 til 8/08/04--in the Southern Caribbean. This was my second sailing on AOS, fifth overall with RCCL, and the least pleasurable one of the lot. Very average, at best. The dinner selections were uninspired and bland; lacking any real zest other than a bit of garlic here and a ladle of sauce there on occasion. Breads and rolls were dry and bland. Salads were at least fresh-tasting, though the accompanying dressings were run-of-the-mill. I can recommend the soups, however, and the desserts were good enough. There were actually two evenings when I passed on the main dinner course and ate sandwiches from the Cafe Promenade afterward. I wouldn't say the meals were substandard, just not anything I would go through the trouble of getting dressed up to attend. As for the entertainment, it was quite in keeping with the general timbre of the cuisine. Adequate, but, uninspired with the exception of a few individual performers. The ice-skating show was pretty much the same as you might have seen before on the Voyager-class vessels, only with a different cast and different costumes. Except that there were more missed/aborted jumps and falls by the skaters than can be excused. The variety show with the singers and dancers was entertaining but there was certainly no call for an encore at the close. Poolside entertainment such as the belly-flop competition, horse racing, etc. were staged on the final afternoon without much enthusiasm or fanfare and more more as afterthoughts than anything else and several activities--such as the towel and napkin folding demonstrations--simply didn't take place when nobody showed up to conduct the event and those waiting to take part were left just sitting there looking at one another. Even some of the major events such as the midnight buffet and the Promenade parades saw only average interest--as though the entire crew and ship's personnel were preparing for their own vacations. If you are considering this as a first cruise, I would recommend you look into something on the Explorer or the Navigator instead, or, even the Voyager.

I dunno, maybe it's just me. I haven't been on a cruise yet, my first one is next year, but for me food or entertainment isn't going to be the most important thing to me. I know ya gotta eat, but everybody's taste buds are different, maybe some people like stuff a certain way. Either way, I don't care. And I'm not that worried about entertainment, catching a show or two might be nice.

Maybe I'll sit on the top deck or the balcony during sailing days or on a nice night (if weather's nice) and just listen to the ocean go by. And maybe try the slot machines and get ripped off.

We were on the AOS this past June and last June, both So. Caribbean itineraries. Loved it both times! Wonder what's changed? We did not go to many shows but I felt the food was very good...my whole family enjoyed it! (Maybe a testament to my cooking :o ) I'm sorry you did not have a good time.

The AOS was one of my favorite cruises also (I actually like them all :D), but I have to agree with the OP that after you have cruised a few times, the "belly flop" and "horse race" get to be very old when you are trying to relax around the pool. On a recent Mariner cruise, we also had to listen to Becky "Hello Luv" conduct the steel drum lessons around the pool. I would have been much happier to be able to hear professional musicians instead of the cruise director giving instructions to her small class over the loud speaker. :mad: I don't understand why these classes have to be conducted in public area. Maybe to promote them better because of poor attendance, I guess. A simple announcement and then conduct the classes without the loud speaker would have been fine.

Anyway, getting back to the AOS...we thought the food was pretty good, the entertainment, especially the ice skating was very good. The service excellent!

I didn't intend for it to sound as though the cruise was completely unenjoyable and without merit. I also sailed on AOS in October 2002 on the same itinerary and obviously found it enjoyable enough to do it again! But, the dining and entertainment ARE an important part of a cruise vacation and, in my opinion, AOS didn't quite measure up to the quality I have come to expect from RCCL. My family and I always look forward to our dinners onboard as being a fun part of the cruise and more than just 'time to eat'--something a little special. Maybe it was just those of us seated on the third level for the second seating, but, whatever, I got real tired of having to wait while the ship's photographer was shooting portraits for first seating diners at the entrance to our dining room--one evening delaying our entrance by no less than fifteen minutes while arranging the pose and shooting the photos for a group of ten or twelve. Ludicrous. And that's just one example.

Captain Jack--I did a lot of deck lounging on my first cruise and managed to rise each and every morning to watch our arrival in each port. And I ended up feeling as though I had missed a lot of the fun of cruising. The meals and entertainment and activities are part and parcel of the shipboard experience and you shouldn't miss out on them.

You may be cruising too often or you need a change of pace like Marie said... maybe another cruise line.

I took 3 or 4 Princess Cruises in a row within 2 years and I was getting tired of the same old stuff on every cruise. So I tried NCL and it was a lot different (still fun) but I think it made me appreciate Princess more.

This year I am trying the Voyage of The Seas just to see how I like it.

Variety is the spice of life!

Returned home yesterday from a week onboard Adventure of the Seas--8/01/04 til 8/08/04--in the Southern Caribbean. This was my second sailing on AOS, fifth overall with RCCL, and the least pleasurable one of the lot. Very average, at best. The dinner selections were uninspired and bland; lacking any real zest other than a bit of garlic here and a ladle of sauce there on occasion. Breads and rolls were dry and bland. Salads were at least fresh-tasting, though the accompanying dressings were run-of-the-mill. I can recommend the soups, however, and the desserts were good enough. There were actually two evenings when I passed on the main dinner course and ate sandwiches from the Cafe Promenade afterward. I wouldn't say the meals were substandard, just not anything I would go through the trouble of getting dressed up to attend. As for the entertainment, it was quite in keeping with the general timbre of the cuisine. Adequate, but, uninspired with the exception of a few individual performers. The ice-skating show was pretty much the same as you might have seen before on the Voyager-class vessels, only with a different cast and different costumes. Except that there were more missed/aborted jumps and falls by the skaters than can be excused. The variety show with the singers and dancers was entertaining but there was certainly no call for an encore at the close. Poolside entertainment such as the belly-flop competition, horse racing, etc. were staged on the final afternoon without much enthusiasm or fanfare and more more as afterthoughts than anything else and several activities--such as the towel and napkin folding demonstrations--simply didn't take place when nobody showed up to conduct the event and those waiting to take part were left just sitting there looking at one another. Even some of the major events such as the midnight buffet and the Promenade parades saw only average interest--as though the entire crew and ship's personnel were preparing for their own vacations. If you are considering this as a first cruise, I would recommend you look into something on the Explorer or the Navigator instead, or, even the Voyager.

Other than that, how did you enjoy the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

I think having sailed on the AOS before you might have been a bit used to her. Kinda like rewraping x-mas presents and trying to act surprised.

I also agree with another poster that food is not why I cruise, i guess people look for different things in cruising.

G-

You know something? I think the suggestion to try another cruise line next time is probably right onthe money. Just hate to change because we have really enjoyed all of our sailings on the Voyager class ships and, in fact, this is the first that wasn't excellent in every way. Perhaps it was just one of those weeks....To clarify: Food is not THE REASON why I cruise. BUT it is a part of the overall ambience of the cruise experience and the evening meal on that particular cruise was consistently below what I expect from these vessels of this line. Enough said..guess I put my foot squarely in the middle of my nether regions in making any negative comment in the first place.

gee whiz i think i need some anti depressants after reading that review,, ,,, i'm gonna go cry in my fruitty pebbles......:(

i will just be glad to be out of the darn house,, city ,, traffic,, when i go on my next cruise,,, :p who cares about "GARLIC",, you got a decent meal to eat...... :eek: TOO MUCH emphasis on the little stuff,,, stop and smell the ROSES.......:D

Good stuff guys,,,,,, NO FLAMES,,,,,,,,,:(

Archived