Are taxis available at Herculaneum???

We are a group of three fairly independent travellers of which 2 of us have mobility issues. We would like to go to Herculaneum by train from Sorrento. The train (Circumvesuviana railway) is not the problem. We would take it to Hercolano Scavi station. We might be able to manage the mile downhill to the site and walking within the ruins but would not be able to do the mile uphill to the station.

For those of you who have been there, are taxis available at the site? I would really appreciate any information.

Thank you

Fran

:) There are tons and tons of taxis waiting by the dock to take you anywhere you want. However, I must say they were very pushy, so be prepared for that. We negotiated with a driver for 80 Euro for 4 persons and that took us to Herculaneum where the driver waited 2 hours for us to look around. This was a good amount of time. He drove us up to the top of Mount Vesuvius where we hung out for about 45 minutes and then dropped us off in downtown Naples at a local pizza joint. Total time we had the taxi was about 4-5 hours. We walked back to the ship in about 10 minutes, no hills, very easy. We had lots of fun. Our taxidriver did not speak English and that did not matter to us. Some of the drivers did, but that cost a lot more.

Herculanium is actually located right in town (Ercolano). When you exit the ruins and cross the street you are in a small but busy Italian town where there are cafes, restaurants, etc. If there are no taxis available at the entrance to the ruins you can simply walk across the street to one of the nearby cafes and ask them to get you a taxi as you enjoy a nice cappucino or espresso.

Hank

Thanks to all for the wonderful information. Although I spent a few weeks in Campania back in the late 70s, I didn't get to see Herculaneum. I am really looking forward to finally seeing it.

Fran

:) :) :) :) I love it! I have been there probably 15 or 20 times in the last 30 years and never tire of it. I prefer it over Pompei. Why you might ask? Several reasons actually. Firstly, Naples can be extremely hot and muggy in the summer. Pompei has almost no shade and is HUGE. It is too big and too touristy for me Herculaneum is much cooler, with shade and a bit of sea breeze. Herculaneum was where the rich lived and many buildings are very well preserved, better than Pompei IMHO. It is also much smaller. This is not to say I do not love Pompei also, but it is Herculaneum for me hands down!!! And there is one other reason, Herculaneum is smack dab in the middle of Ercolano. Ercolano is a thriving village. Energy and people watching on every corner. Death notices plastered on all the buildings. Tiny fish, fruit and vegetable markets. Wonderful cafes. You can feel you are in Italy here and not in some tourist trap. I hope your really enjoy it as much as I always have. If you do take the Circumvesuvia, the walk down is very easy and follow the signs to Ercolano Scavi (excavation) you absolutely cannot miss it. It is at the bottom of the hill and you cannot go any farther.

ENJOY

There is another option that is very easy. Bus 157 leaves directly across the street from Piazza Maritima where the ships dock. Bus tickets can be purchased from the kiosk stand and purchase a round trip ticket. There is a tourist information desk at the port if you want more clarification when you get there. If you tell the bus driver you want to go to Ercolano Scavi he will tell you when to get off. It is about a 40 minute ride. The bus stops is right in front of Herculaneum. I have used this option many times and it takes away the whole problem of walking uphill to the Circumvesuviana after you just walked Herculaneum. Also it is quite an interesting bus ride and lots of people watching.

Once again ENJOY

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to all who answered my questions. We will not be docking in Naples but we will be anchored off Sorrento. It just means that we will approach Ercolano from the other side. I am so pleased that we will be going there.

Although I can't speak Italian I can communicate in what I refer to as "Italian baby talk". I love Italy and feel very much at home in many parts of the country.

Is there any information that will be useful to us on that day? How long should we figure that the actual ruins will take us? Any other suggestions in that area?

Fran

We will be leaving on June 12th and will be going to pompeii and herculaneum. My son is very excited about seeing them. I am glad to hear that the small herculaneum town is so nice given the current trash crisis in Naples. Can you tell me if you have been to any Italian pottery stores there? My wife is hoping to collect a variety of serving pieces this trip and I would love to find some options for her. Also do you feel it is worth trying to go to the top of Vesuvius? My 8yr old has a class project on volcanoes next year and he wants to be the expert! Thanks for any help!

Hi bfos

Ercolano is not the best area for the pottery I think your wife is thinking of. It is really more of a local village. Ercolano itself is not that exiting, it is Herculaneum that is outstanding. Unfortunately looking at where the trash problem seems to be, Ercolano more than likely will have the same problems Naples is encountering, it is a suburb. The pottery she is probably thinking of is better found in Sorrento, the Amalfi coast, maybe downtown Naples or Capri. You need a more touristy area.

As for Mt Vesuvius. I love it, it is very very interesting especially if you can get all the way to the top. But, the last 1/2 mile you must walk, it is steep and there is NO shade. So if the weather is warm be prepared. It you have a cool day, I would absolutely go for it it is worth the effort. There is a bus that will take you from Herculaneum to the national park. The drive up to the park entrance is amazing. I truly hope your son has the opportunity.

I hope this helps

Jana White

As I believe that Herculaneum is not shaded either I hope that our early November visit will be comfortable. Thanks again to all who made me excited about going.

Fran

For those summer travelers there is no shade, but should be a breeze for the initial walk down to the excavation, 5+ minutes, but there is shade at the ruins. Herculaneum is much much cooler than Pompei as it gets a decent sea breeze normally. This is one, but only one, of the reasons I prefer it over Pompeii.

Franu, your November visit should be absolutely fine.

Archived