Anyone done the "America's Cup Regatta"?

DocF

If anyone has taken the America's Cup Regatta excursion which is offered by Carnival (and, I imagine others) I would appreciate hearing your comments. I've actually raced a couple of very old 12 meter yachts and would like to do this. I am trying to find out if it is appropriate for my wife who has never sailed anything.

Thanks,

Doc

DocF,

We just did this excursion last month and had a blast. My husband and I (both 51) and three sons ages 19, 17 & 14 really enjoyed this trip. Everyone had an assignment, but there are a few things that did not require much physical effort. There was a couple in our group who were probably in their late fifties and he had a problem with one of his arms, so he was the timekeeper and his wife was bartender (handed out cans of soda and beer from a cooler). They ask you before you start if you want to be inactive or have medium or heavy physical tasks. I did the mainsail winch and did not find it to be too difficult, and I don't have much physical strength. They said this has been voted the number one excursion for eleven years in a row, and I can see why. We thought it definitely was worth it.

We're booked to do this in July and I have never had any experience sailing. My dh learned to sail one year in St Lucia, but only sailed on that holiday. I'd say go for it! There are loads of positive comments on this board and it is one of the most popular excursions. We're really looking forward to it.

Lindsey

I just booked this for our cruise and we will be off and racing on October 3, the day before by 65th birthday.

I haven't sailed anything in over 20 years. I used to sail Snipes, Windmills, and Day Sailers in small boats. I've sailed on two 12 Meters many years ago and also several other large yachts. DW has never sailed anything; she is a powerboat and water ski person.

I guess I'll probably be the oldest winch grinder in history:p

We are looking forward to the experience.

Doc

DocF;

As a very recent new member of the 6X'er club, I can assure you that you will have a great time on the 12 Metre, as will your wife.

If you would like to hear an audio recount of our adventure a few years ago you should find it here.

gary

p.s. We may very well be on-island during your visit, and as we get closer to your trip let's see if I can buy you a beer or two. My e-mail is posted in my Profile.

wife and I did it last yr 56&55 and loved it.We are going again and already booked the excursion with the cruise reservation the first week in Sept.

We did it in a downpur and still found it to be one of the best excursions we ever did.We both sailed as young kids and adults but haven't in about 27 yrs.

Don't miss it.

Jeff

My husband and I did this excursion several years ago and it is by far one of the BEST excursions I've ever taken part of! Everyone on our yacht had a blast (except for some lady that lost her lunch). Didn't hurt that our yacht won either:D! When we did it, our captain was Australian and all the crew were great! I was at the back with the captain as I was the winch wench (ha!) and he was rather entertaining! He thought I looked like Sarah Jessica Parker and the whole time he called me Jessica . . . my husband and friends that were on board were like why is he calling you Jessica?! I didn't care as long as he was consistent and new he was talking to me! You will definitely have a blast!

I'm breaking out my 30 year old Bicentennial deck shoes for the day. Deck shoes are best, but any good non-slipping rubber soled shoe would be OK. I'm wearing the experienced shoes because they have real character.:D

Doc:rolleyes:

Did anyone have problems with "seasickness?" Not that we are prone, mind you... but a recent excursion parasailing took us on a very choppy ride where we all returned abit blue about the gills ;)

A~

We did the Regatta some time ago and had a great time. There was one young lady who had the most forward post who became ill...nobody else was affected. There wasn't much wind that day; I believe if it is windier the boat is more steady and less affected by the waves.

Doc, you brought back memories. My dad used to sail Snipes when he was young. He used to talk about them. I've never heard anyone else ever mention them. He moved from Snipes to Stars.

If anyone has taken the America's Cup Regatta excursion which is offered by Carnival (and, I imagine others) I would appreciate hearing your comments. I've actually raced a couple of very old 12 meter yachts and would like to do this. I am trying to find out if it is appropriate for my wife who has never sailed anything.

Thanks,

Doc

My husband loved this excursion. He sat in the middle of the boat and was timekeeper. Just remember when you are drinking all those sodas, there is NO head on the sailboat. :rolleyes: There is a rest room at the dock when you return.

My husband loved this excursion. He sat in the middle of the boat and was timekeeper. Just remember when you are drinking all those sodas, there is NO head on the sailboat. :rolleyes: There is a rest room at the dock when you return.

Yes, these yachts are strictly racing. The 12 meter class rules used to require a certain number of berths, a galley, and a head (nautical for rest room). That was changed sometime in the late 60s, I believe.

Doc

Perhaps I was too subtle, but my (rhetorical) question was actually a link that leads to an 'official' explanation of exactly what defines a 12 Metre yacht, and it is not specifically the size. It was prompted by DocF's comment.

12 Metre specifies a Class, not a Size, that takes into consideration the length, girth, freeboard and sail area to allow yachts of different constructions to compete on an even basis.

All that aside, the America's Cup 12 Metre excursion is a fabulous experience.

gary

I just booked us for this and neither on of us has sailed before. Hope we do alright!

We are booked to do this on our trip next week. :)

I have heard nothing but good things, and my DM actually recommended we do this from all the things she had read previously on CC. It will be fun b/c others from the CC boards are doing this too. We found out through the roll call we had all coincidentally booked the same thing!

My DH cannot wait to do this, and I have a feeling he will opt for one of the more strenuous tasks while I will opt for a medium to light task...

We'll see what we get. :)

Have fun!

Archived