Passports still backed up?

Meliss503

My husband and I just applied for our passports last week. We were told to expect them in about 10 weeks. We leave on our cruise in 11 weeks, I procrastinated and let time slip away from me. I'm getting copies of our birth cerificates. However, I was wondering if the passport offices were still backed up like it was in February or are they starting to catch up?

My husband and I just applied for our passports last week. We were told to expect them in about 10 weeks. We leave on our cruise in 11 weeks, I procrastinated and let time slip away from me. I'm getting copies of our birth cerificates. However, I was wondering if the passport offices were still backed up like it was in February or are they starting to catch up?

Procrastination sucks:p but this has been debated here and the thread moved... you may find your answers in the link below.. good luck:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=556838

You will probably receive various answers to this question. There are a couple of threads ( under ask a cruise question ) on this topic and I've read where some put in for theirs back in Feb. and March and are still waiting. We applied on 4/2 w/o expedite and got ours in the mail Thursday. So it looks like its still a mess. Hope you get them in time.

We applied feb. 22nd for our trip to Paris, and we still don't have them. I would NOT count on getting them in time, then you can be pleasantly surprised if you do! I think things will get worse before they get better. I finally sent an email to my US Senator and they are going to try to get through to the passport office to make sure we get them in time! When I applied back in feb. the lady at the post office told me it would be about 6 weeks, it has now been 12 weeks. A lot of people on this board have said they were told it would be up to 14 weeks. Some people are getting them within a month, some like me are still waiting. I think it depends on where the application is sent! Good luck!!:)

Folks, things will only get worse. Next year, it will be mandatory (unless things change) for everyone on a cruise to have a passport (US Citizens). I am not sure about land-border crossings, but looks like those will also need a valid passport. Therefore, there will be a bigger backlog when it comes to getting a passport in a short amount of time.

My housekeeper applied for a passport for herself and 3 sons. This was about 6 weeks ago. She received them in less than 3 weeks. I wonder if it matters where you live and what passport office they are going to. We live in Phoenix, by the way.

It is now up to a 14 week wait, this does not mean that it will be that long but it possible could be and i am sure it will be even longer in the very near future.

My wife and I applied the 3rd week of January for our Glory cruise 04/28/07. Her passport arrived 3 weeks prior. Mine did not. When we called they said oops... they expedited mine for no fee but could not guarantee it would be here before we left. My passport arrived the monday we were on the cruise :confused:

In general, the passport situation is getting worse, not better. That being said, there is a wide variation in the speed of different offices, depending on the workload.

As a non-bureaucrat, it seems logical to me for the offices that have a lighter load to take some of the applications from the most overburdened. That hasn't happened and probably makes too much sense.

My advice is to apply early. I also would suggest that everyone who may need to travel out of the country by any means or for any reason get their passport as soon as possible. It will save you hassle and panic later.

Good sailing,

Doc

You can check to see if the application is in the passport office by going to the official website. I kept checking that every few days and knew when mine was completed and mailed out. I would not depend on receiving it in time. You can always pay the expedited fee and get them quicker but that is quite expensive.

Next year, it will be mandatory (unless things change) for everyone on a cruise to have a passport (US Citizens). I am not sure about land-border crossings, but looks like those will also need a valid passport.
Land and air travel requires them now. Well, to get back anyway.

I wonder if it matters where you live and what passport office they are going to. We live in Phoenix' date=' by the way.[/quote']I think you're right. We applied 4/21 and are "still being processed".

As a non-bureaucrat, it seems logical to me for the offices that have a lighter load to take some of the applications from the most overburdened. That hasn't happened and probably makes too much sense.
Oh yeah, way too much sense for them.

My friend applied for his the last week of March. He was told he should have it around May 2nd. It finally arrive on May 16th. Yes, he paid the extra to expediate the process. But now he is all set for our cruise leaving on Saturday!!!:D

Our passports expire in 2009. We are takine a cruise next week but as soon as we get back, I am going to renew them and request expedited because you never know when you might see a bargain and I do not want to wait up to fourteen weeks or it could even be longer, if I were to put it off until sometime in 2008, when I would normally have renewed.

Carol

Archived