Ron Jon's Cape Caribe: Big Disappointment

We just returned from our Mariner cruise of 8/1 to the Western Caribbean. I'll post a review soon on it. In the meantime, I want to give a brief report on Ron Jon's Cape Caribe in Port Canaveral where we stayed the night before our cruise.

First, (not Ron Jon's fault), the weather was awful. It rained quite a bit. When if finally stopped later that day, we joyfully went into the jacuzzi only to have thunder start up!! So, we couldn't enjoy the waterpark whatsoever. Also, it seemed better suited to younger children and not our teens and us.

Here goes:

1. Our studio room was small and we paid a hefty $170 for the night. When you pulled out the sleeper sofa, it was difficult to maneuver around the room. Suitcases for 4 people around the room seemed to make space even tighter.

2. Ron Jon's serves no breakfast. You can get a free continental breakfast if you check out of your room earlier (9:30AM instead of 10AM) and attend a 90-minute sales presentation. We didn't opt for that. We went to their onsite store and bought a fun pack of assorted cereals and milk for our breakfast.

3. Ron Jon's is far away from other amenities of Port Canaveral. Part of the reason we stayed there is because the beach trolley had a stop nearby at Jetty Park. But lo and behold, the trolley no longer served Jetty Park. So, we ended up walking to Grills Restaurant over a mile away, and the walk is not pleasant: with huge oil storage depots and swarms of gnats attacking you.

4. We had lunch soon after our arrival. The food was decent, but the service was slow and uninspired. Our teens were in the mood for grilled cheese sandwiches, but the waiter said they couldn't have them because that's only a kids menu item!

5. There was no shuttle to the cruise terminal.

6. Some elevators in the complex do not go to every floor. Our room was on the 3rd floor. We had to get out of the elevator at another floor, and find one that would take us to our floor!

7. Ron Jon's is not trying to please their "hotel" guests. Their focus is on selling timeshares. Salesmen are omnipresent.

8. Check in time is 4PM and check out is 10AM so you get your room for 18 hours and $170 was rather stiff. When we checked out at 10AM, we still had time to kill before going to the cruise terminal. I asked the front desk if they could store our luggage for a couple of hours, and they told me they don't have the facilities for that. I objected to the front desk clerk, and he went to his superiors about it in the back office. He came out and told me they said to put my luggage in the trunk of my car! We didn't have a car. Finally, I got angry and said "You guys are doing an awful job of catering to cruise clientele. The other hotels around here like the Radisson, Hilton, etc. are much more accomodating to cruise passengers." Finally, the clerk relented, and said OK, we could store our luggage in the back until we left.

We stayed at Ron Jon's Cape Caribe as many cruisers on these boards related how new and attractive the resort was, and that the waterpark was awesome. However, we didn't get a feeling that they were really interested in hotel-type guests. They want to sell, sell, sell those timeshares. The renting of rooms hotel-style is just a way to get some $$$ while they get the timeshares off the ground.

I have the Ron Jon booked for two nights before my November 7th sailing on the Mariner. There are 7 people in my group and we have a 2-bedroom deluxe room reservered...the room sleeps 10 people. I am paying $225 per night. I own a timeshare so I am very familiar with time share resorts.

Before making my reservation I knew that breakfast and transport are not included. (Rooms have a full kitchen and guests usually purchase grocery and fix breakfast and other meals in the room). We will have a rental vehicle for the two days, so transportation will not be a problem.

I've stayed in time share resorts many times and I know that check out is at 10 am. In the past I have had late in the day flights and I know that the time share resorts will not, do not, store luggage for guests that have checked out. That is just the way it goes in most time share resorts. I am not surprised that the resort caters to the time share owners. Selling time is what pays the bills....not periodic hotel guests. When you stay at a time share resort, you shouldn't expect treatment like you were staying at a standard hotel or hotel resort. Now I'm sure there are some very exclusive, very upscale time share resorts that will offer all of the service amenities of a standard hotel, but I have not come across that type yet. The amenities at a time share resort are the items in the unit.....full or partial kitchen, whirlpool tub, etc. I realize that you had a studio, which only has a kitchenette and sitting area vs. full size living room and full size kitchen in the other units.

I hope my comment doesn't sound too negative. I don't mean to be negative. Maybe you just didn't realize what staying at at time share resort is like. I've always enjoyed my stays at time share resorts...whether the stay was short or long. But, I also never expect anything from the resort other than the rental unit that I am assigned to. I know that there will be no maid service, room service, breakfast, etc. After I check in, I never see or pass a resort employee again. It is like having your own apartment or condo...not a hotel room. My cruise companions and I are really looking forward to having a unit big enough to hold all of us together. Not to mention the full kitchen for mixing margaritas and making coffee and breakfast in the morning, 2 full bathrooms, balcony, livingroom, etc. We think this will be far more luxurious that staying at the Radisson in 3 separate standard hotel rooms with two double beds and a bathroom.

O.K. I'm done now. sorry to go on and on. I'm just trying to keep my own excitement up since my turn at Ron Jon is coming up in November and I don't want to get disappointed before I even get there! LOL

Thanks for posting that information. Although you told me this on the ship, reading it makes me feel better about staying at the Radisson. Crystal was interested in staying at RonJons but after hearing your complaints, she is no longer interested in that.

It was very nice meeting both you and your wife and running into you on occasion on the ship. Stay in touch with me.

FYI, my computer crashed while I was gone and had to purchase a new one. I lost all of my email addresses. Please email me so I can have yours.

Thanks again

Tim & Crystal

I have three nights reserved at the Ron Jon beginning October 14th.

I'll reply to the original poster in the same format as I do to complaint letters at work, item by item:

"1. Our studio room was small and we paid a hefty $170 for the night. When you pulled out the sleeper sofa, it was difficult to maneuver around the room. Suitcases for 4 people around the room seemed to make space even tighter."

Sorry your room seemed small and overpriced. I am obsessive about travel research and found information that led me to a discount code on a one bedroom, $133 the first night and I believe it was $156 for the next two (week-end nights). It will only be two of us but we wanted to have a balcony and my research told me that the studios do not have them.

"2. Ron Jon's serves no breakfast. You can get a free continental breakfast if you check out of your room earlier (9:30AM instead of 10AM) and attend a 90-minute sales presentation. We didn't opt for that. We went to their onsite store and bought a fun pack of assorted cereals and milk for our breakfast."

My research told me that the Ron Jon will not provide breakfast. This made no difference to us as we're not really into breakfast anyhow, and normally I have a yogurt and DH has milk or fruit, and we both have coffee. The kitchen or kitchenette in the Ron Jon room will be ideal for us in that regard. I don't anticipate wanting to get up and properly dressed for a restaurant setting anyhow...I'll be on vacation! I love the idea of picking up a few essentials and having them there waiting for whenever we want them.

"3. Ron Jon's is far away from other amenities of Port Canaveral. Part of the reason we stayed there is because the beach trolley had a stop nearby at Jetty Park. But lo and behold, the trolley no longer served Jetty Park. So, we ended up walking to Grills Restaurant over a mile away, and the walk is not pleasant: with huge oil storage depots and swarms of gnats attacking you."

I researched the proximity of the resort to other restaurants, etc., also. We opted to rent a car at the Orlando airport, which is the cheapest method of transportation I have found from MCO to Cape Canaveral, anyhow. Plus, we won't have to settle for walking through gnat-infested areas to get to a restaurant if we choose not to.

"4. We had lunch soon after our arrival. The food was decent, but the service was slow and uninspired. Our teens were in the mood for grilled cheese sandwiches, but the waiter said they couldn't have them because that's only a kids menu item!"

I was not there but I learned long ago that a restaurant can prepare whatever they have the ingredients to make, whether it's on the menu or not. You do have to know how to ask, such as stating that you are willing to pay an "adult" portion price for a sandwich that is only "listed" on the childrens' menu.

"5. There was no shuttle to the cruise terminal."

Another case where my research filled me in about this long ago. Taxis are readily available and quite inexpensive. I have always found hotel shuttles to be inconvenient anyhow, as they tend to be unpredictable in their schedules and/or require you to sit on them until they fill up every seat before they will depart for the ship.

"6. Some elevators in the complex do not go to every floor. Our room was on the 3rd floor. We had to get out of the elevator at another floor, and find one that would take us to our floor!"

Oh, for pete's sake!

"7. Ron Jon's is not trying to please their "hotel" guests. Their focus is on selling timeshares. Salesmen are omnipresent."

I can't imagine this being a problem...but if a person is about to sail the Western Caribbean route, saying "No thank you" repeatedly could be good practice for Jamaica...;)

"8. Check in time is 4PM and check out is 10AM so you get your room for 18 hours and $170 was rather stiff. When we checked out at 10AM, we still had time to kill before going to the cruise terminal. I asked the front desk if they could store our luggage for a couple of hours, and they told me they don't have the facilities for that. I objected to the front desk clerk, and he went to his superiors about it in the back office. He came out and told me they said to put my luggage in the trunk of my car! We didn't have a car. Finally, I got angry and said "You guys are doing an awful job of catering to cruise clientele. The other hotels around here like the Radisson, Hilton, etc. are much more accomodating to cruise passengers." Finally, the clerk relented, and said OK, we could store our luggage in the back until we left."

I plan to leave the resort no later than 10-10:30 to head to the cruise terminal. If we end up deciding not to leave until 10:30 I am sure that will not be a problem. I have learned from my research that there is no reason to wait until noon or later to depart for the terminal, as you can check in when you get there whether boarding has begun or not. I wouldn't create the aggravation for myself of having to "kill a couple of hours" waiting until I thought it was an acceptable time for arriving.

Kimberly, I would be happy to fill you in on my Ron Jon (and Mariner) experiences after I return (although I don't really want to admit there will be an "after" lol). I'll be home about two weeks before you leave. Also, I'm going to sail the Adventure in February for the first time and would love your input. I've seen some of your posts in the past and am aware from them (as well as your screen name) that you love her.

I love your post. I agree with everything you said. Research before booking a hotel, or car, or cruise, etc. is essential to having a good time. I feel that we will enjoy the Ron Jon because we know what to expect.

Yes, I would love to hear how you made out on your October trip to Ron Jon and on the Mariner. Thanks.

And, you are also correct that I LOVE the Adventure of the Seas. You are going to love it too. The ship is basically the same lay out as the Mariner of the Seas. In my opinion, the food is good, the service is fantastic, crew is very friendly and accommodating, entertainment is great, and the ports of call fantastic. The only downfall for me is getting to San Juan to board the ship. From where I live, I need to drive 1 hour to the train station. Take a 2 1/2 hour train ride to NYC. Then a 45 min taxi ride from the train station to the airport, then the 4 hour flight to San Juan. whew! And, the airfare is higher to fly to San Juan vs. Florida. (And, to fly to FL I only have to drive 1 hour to the local airport and I can get a cheap direct flight). The struggle for me to get to San Juan is the ONLY reason that I am sailing on the Mariner instead of the Adventure. But, you never know...I may come back from my Mariner trip and change my screen name to Mariner Girl!

I hope you have a wonderful cruise and wonderful stay at the Ron Jon.

Thanks for the information on this resort. This might sound like a stupid question but since this is a timeshare and not a hotel, thought it might be worth asking. I'm assuming they provide bedding and towels in the bathroom? Thanks. :)

This past January we sailed on the MOS (Eastern Caribbean) and stayed at Ron Jon's the night before. Our weather was horrible but the resort was fabulous! We had a two bedroom and found it to be perfect! They had just recently opened and were very accommodating to say the least. The food in the restaurant was mediocre but our expectations weren't very high either.

We too rented a van from Orlando and dropped it at the pier. That is truly the way to go. We did the same thing on our return however Budget gave us a 15 passenger 'bread truck' that smelled so strongly of smoke we literally had to hang out the windows! Ha! Not funny at the time but that too wasn't the end of the world. Hey, we had just returned from a 'perfect' vacation on MOS, we weren't going to let that or anything else ruin it for us.

I would like to know where one gets a discounted rate at Ron Jon's. We are sailing on the Mariner again in January and will once again say the night before at Ron Jon's.

Thanks so much!

We're staying at the Courtyard Marriott. For $149 you get double beds, cook-to-order breakfast AND shuttle.................and because we throw our American express points into the marriott reward system....we are getting it for FREE! It's really something to consider doing! Sorry to hear about Ron Jon's . I was asking my cousin just today if she had read about it , or considered booking there for our June cruise. Thanks for the info!

Karen

I recommend checking out the reviews on tripadvisor.com. I think the management even posted a response about some of the bad reviews at ron jon's. I always check out tripadvisor first before booking any hotel or resort anywhere.

Brneyznfl, according to what I've read that although there is not maid service at the resort, there is a room/closet/area where you can go to exchange your bedding and towels for fresh ones.

Kimberly, thanks for the Adventure comments. I have the same concerns as you mentioned about traveling to San Juan. While I should not have as many trip legs as you I will most likely have as much travel time. My early checking tells me to expect around eight hours of flying time from Phoenix. However, I know we'll love the ship and that we got a wonderful cabin (1688). I'll look forward to exchanging information with you.

jblair, I found the info on discount codes some time ago and I know it was on a thread on one of the Disney sites (which I found because of a tip here on Cruise Critic). I'll keep looking and post if I find which one it was. The deal I found, however, was not applicable to week-ends. We're staying Thursday, Friday, and Saturday and the discount (20-25%) was for Thursday only.

vossjemi, you were on the Navigator with me, but we never met. It's funny, right before I read your post I was reading the Ron Jon reviews on TripAdvisor! I agree, it's an extremely helpful site.

TerriDHair,

Wasn't the NOS awesome???!!! We totally loved our very first balcony cabin. We were about midship 6th floor. We hadn't been on a cruise since 95 and it SOLD us! Now, we've got 2 cruises in the future. I had post cruise depression so bad after NOS I booked our PC cruise about 3 weeks later!

About tripadvisor...don't great minds think alike?

Brneyznfl: The rental units at the Ron Jon come fully furnished, fully equiped with linens, towels, dishes, pots/pans, etc. When I said that Ron Jon is a time share resort and not a hotel I only meant regarding standard hotel services...such as room service, maid service, etc. The rental units are completely furnished and will even have soaps, dish liquid, laundry detergent, etc. (sample sizes).

I'm planning on Ron Jon to accommodate all of the "space" that I need to relax and enjoy the company of my friends. I don't need room service or 5 star dining or anything like that ....I'll get all of that on the Mariner! We just want a place to unwind and begin the party prior to boarding the Mariner. I can't wait to get to Ron Jon....I know that we are going to love it there!

jblair: We have the 12 passenger van rental reserved through Budget...planning to drop it off in Port Canaveral and then re-rent for the return to Orlando at the end of the cruise. I'm hoping we get the nicer version on both ends of the trip. The "bread truck" doesn't sound too inviting. LOL Glad to hear that you had a good time overall. The only discount that I am getting at the Ron Jon is a 10% rate discount for being a member of Resort Condominums International, (RCI)....my timeshare's company. The rate reduction is applied on both nights. I'm not familiar with any other discount rates available.

To the original poster,

Please continue to post any information whether positive or negative as it is YOUR opinion and YOUR experience. You are entitled to post that. This board is for sharing information/experiences. I was actually thinking about Ron Jons, thanks to your honest post, I will not. I want a true hotel experience for my entire vacation. That includes access to room service and most certainely maid service. It is becuase of your post that I am aware of how renting a time share works. Its not for me, I rather enjoy being pampered from the beginning to the end of my vacation wheter on land or sea.

Although you will read some negative posts about the Radisson, I will tell you it has been my experience, and I have stayed there a minimum of six times, that the hotel is wonderful. The pool area is always clean as well as the grounds, rooms have always been clean, shuttle accomodating, and the place overall wonderful. Never had a bad experience there. Should you drive your car to the Radisson, they have a parking lot to park your car in while you are on your cruise, FREE.

One suggestion though, even though the shuttle is accomodating, I suggest using a shuttle provided by a rental car agency should you have the need for the rental. On our Aug 1 cruise we used Avis, turned the car in at 10:30 and was at the port at 11:00, no charge for the shuttle. I am sure other rental agencies do the same thing.

Also, thanks for defending Richard and his review of RonJons. It was his opinion and only his opinion to give others the heads up of what might happen to them. Yes, he possibly could have researched it better but I feel, after talking with him, he definitely did not get his money's worth.

If you have any other questions about the Radisson, please feel free to email me at herrinbowl@midamer.net.

Tim

We were on the Sov. of the Seas on 7/26 and stayed at RonJon's 7/25.

We were a family of 4 and got the studio villa as listed on their website

for $130 plus taxes, etc. We had a corner unit and found it to be very

clean. We enjoyed the tropical theme decor. The villa had a nice size

bathroom with seperate glassed in shower next to the garden tub area.

We did eat at the restaurant there. We thought the prices were reasonable

for a resort type place. We did not use the pool area, but enjoyed walking

around and watching others in the lazy river, etc. The night we were there,

they were having a type of Hawaiian Luau out by the pool. You did have to

wear the wrist band given to you at check in to enter this gated area in

back of the lobby section. They were also cooking ribs, hamburgers

and grilled shrimp with side orders such as rice and beans that you could

choose from.

We rode the trolley provided by RonJon's down to the beach area. There

was still a little walking involved from the drop off point, but every 15 minutes

or so, another tram would could along to take you back to the main area.

I appreciate ALL opinions of resorts and then I can make my judgements.

I stayed at RonJon's at the end of June in a two bedroom that sleeps 8. I got a code 300 rate of $170 or so. So I certainly can't complain about the rate. It was fine for a one night stay and very cheap for the five of my blended family. We typically need two rooms.

However, there are no safes for your valuables. I had left my jewelry bag in the back bedroom when we checked out. I had it locked in my suitcase, but had to remove it to repack some things and left it there.

I called Ron Jon's when we returned from our cruise. It was never turned in. I wrote a letter over a month ago to the management and have not heard a word.

I'll never stay there again.

• 1 month later...

Glad these boards are here for opinions and everyone is entitled to their's...

Now for my 2 cents...I agree with Terri and Adventure ...

Time shares are time shares!!! They are not hotels!!

As a time share owner..when we stay ..we stay for a WEEK ..and yes..we do get periodic maid service for our $$..but granted we are spending considerably more! Many times complimentary gift baskets are left in the units for owners or guests who are actually staying for the WEEK. They usually include coffee and a few snack items.

These facilities are not interested in, nor are they equiped for the average hotel guests cramming as many people in a unit as humanly possible, especially for just a night or two...

We have a deluxe 2 bedroom (that sleeps 10) reserved for four of us for the week post cruise next month. We will have a car for transportation..

Go ahead and flame away but some of the criticism of Ron Jon's sure sounds like $$$ was the biggest issue..and if you are going to have to scrimp on a trip..take a less expensive trip..everyone will be happier!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the heads up on Ron Jons . We were thinking about staying there next Oct. but I didnt know it was a timeshare property.I will look into the Raddison or Marriott and still use the car rental shuttle to get to the pier.

Thanks Again

Sometimes the Timeshare properties are great...don't count it out. I'll be staying there in 3 weeks and I'll report back.

There are others on this thread staying at Ron Jon this week, and I'm sure they will report back as well when they return....right TerriDHair?

We are not sailing on Mariner until next October. I am interested in hotel reviews in the Port Canaveral area, pre-cruise. I think the review of RonJons by the original OP is great! Some folks have been raving about the place, but I don't think we have any real interest in staying there, pre-cruise. We'll be in the area for a few nights, and I have no need for a kitchenette, and I would miss having maid and room service. Also no kids here, so the waterpark thing has no appeal. And if we were going to buy a timeshare, it would be not one that is way out there in Florida, not even that close to Orlando, trades or not. I sincerely appreciate the review, and as for all of you ooohh "timeshare" owners.....what, the rest of us aren't allowed to check it out or stay there, lest we be disappointed?

• 2 weeks later...

Diane, I found out about the discount code here on the boards but didn't bookmark the site, however, I remember it was one of the Disney Cruise boards (not on Cruise Critic).

For those of you thinking of booking at this property, don't be scared off by the "time-share" thing as we had no inconveniences or problems related to this factor. The lack of maid service was actually a good thing in a way, as we didn't have to worry about (during the ultra-relaxed two and a half days prior to the cruise) being out of the way by any certain time so that the maid could get in. We kept the room clean on an ongoing basis just like we do at home and we could have gotten take out from the restaurant just downstairs (basically as convenient as room service). We actually drove around in Cocoa Beach instead and found a great little seafood place one night and we bought a frozen pizza and hot wings for the first night that we heated up in the room at our leisure. The resort is new, clean, and has a great view of the waterway. We reserved a 1 bedroom, as I previously posted, so be aware that the studios do not have a balcony or washer/dryer, if that is a factor. We spent hours on our balcony (ours was facing the waterway and we were able to watch the ships traveling toward the ocean from there).

As far as what the original poster mentioned about the waterpark being suited for younger children...hee hee, it was perfect for my 39 year old hubby. ;) Oh, I guess I should mention that I also went down the slide and we both floated on tubes around the lazy river several times....:)

Archived