Help with luggage

Beachmad

Good evening people.

Could someone give me some advice please, I tried a search but couldnt get anything.

Husband not coming on trip but will need help with luggage at Southampton, will he be able to take luggage into check-in for me? Or will I have to push a heavy trolley....:(

Mag

Hand your luggage to one of the porters - they will take it off your hands before you join the queue for check-in. One watch out - if you are sailing on the QM2 to New York you will need to queue for immigration after you have collected your bags.

Peter

Last year we had to dock at Bayonne (the Crown Princess had the QM2 dock) and Immigrations and Customs came aboard and then on the way out of baggage you handed in your form. Is it done the same way at Red Hook?

Good evening people.

Could someone give me some advice please, I tried a search but couldnt get anything.

Husband not coming on trip but will need help with luggage at Southampton, will he be able to take luggage into check-in for me? Or will I have to push a heavy trolley....:(

Mag

hi mag,

from my experience (i've only driven) you pull up, go and find a porter and he comes over and unloads the car for you onto his trolley and pushed it for you for a minimal fee.

glenn.

hi mag,

from my experience (i've only driven) you pull up, go and find a porter and he comes over and unloads the car for you onto his trolley and pushed it for you for a minimal fee.

glenn.

Minimal fee? It's a free service - they don't hang about for a tip!

Matthew

which cruise by the way?

This wednesday, Iberian Getaway.

Thanks for info.

Im hoping to arrive about 1.30 - 2pm ish, wanted him to wave us off but am I expecting too much to ask him to wait so long before sailaway?

Mag

This wednesday, Iberian Getaway.

Thanks for info.

Im hoping to arrive about 1.30 - 2pm ish, wanted him to wave us off but am I expecting too much to ask him to wait so long before sailaway?

Mag

i haven't been from southampton for some time, it's been dover more recently but from what i remember there's a good waiting room with a bar.

it's only 2-3 hours.

glenn.

i haven't been from southampton for some time, it's been dover more recently but from what i remember there's a good waiting room with a bar.

it's only 2-3 hours.

glenn.

Thanks Glenn you've just said the magic word :D but is it for the public or just those going on the ship?

Years ago I told DH a clothes shop I really wanted to go in had a bar in the back (just to get him in there), he believed me! Cruel I know but when a gal has to shop... ;)

Thanks Glenn you've just said the magic word :D but is it for the public or just those going on the ship?

Years ago I told DH a clothes shop I really wanted to go in had a bar in the back (just to get him in there), he believed me! Cruel I know but when a gal has to shop... ;)

I believe you'll have to leave him with an umbrella (just in case) and a bottle in a brown paper bag.

Then, if he looks to be anything other than distraught at your absence, you can ring the police and have him arrested under the Vagrancy Act!

Matthew

(I didn't ask my wife to wait in January, and neither will I in a fortnight. It's not fair on her, at least in my view.)

i must say, i have taken my parents to the ship before and then had to come away. it's a hard thing getting there and then having to leave again.

if you can stand on the dock and wave people off can't you get to the bar?

glenn.

I believe you'll have to leave him with an umbrella (just in case) and a bottle in a brown paper bag.

Then, if he looks to be anything other than distraught at your absence, you can ring the police and have him arrested under the Vagrancy Act!

Matthew

(I didn't ask my wife to wait in January, and neither will I in a fortnight. It's not fair on her, at least in my view.)

I must say he is reluctant to wait, I'll let him off the hook then. I dont think telling him there is a bar will work again...:D

Mag

As I am a senior (over 80 and travel solo) luggage is always a "backage" for me.

My solution at airport is to GRAB a porter, having a MONEY in your hand helps!. After checking the bags you most likely can manage the carry ons.

Disembarking: If you are flying home, and your cruise line offers Luggage Valet, use that. It is available on certain air lines, American, Continential are two I know. You pack, are given special tags and your AIRLINE boarding pass,you put your bags outside the cabin and do not have to do anything more until you haul them off the luggage belt at your home irport

It costs about $15 per bag, and is worth every cent.

Archived