Passport Update--Some Real Facts

villa10

Hopefully this will be of some help to those waiting for their passports:

We have been waiting for 11 weeks and leave exactly 2 weeks from today.

First, do not waste your time calling if it is more than 14 days before your departure. I called 16 days before, and while they were very pleasnat, I was told that if it is not 14 days they can not do anything.

Next, I called this AM--it's now 14 days--they took all the information and said they would do their best to get the passports to us on time and while it is likely we will have them they can not gaurantee we will.

Next, and many already know this, if you are traveling by cruise ship you are not currently required to have a passport. It is desireable, but not required. If you do not have one just be sure you have an original birth certificate, a photo ID such as a drivers license and if you are a married female it would be a good idea to have a copy of your marriage certificate showing your change in name.

Next, and this is important because many think they will be stranded if they have an emergency and need to fly home and have no passport. It may or may not be a problem. Here is how it works--

If you are traveling to U.S. territiories such as Puerto Rico or St. Thomas it is deemed that you have not left the country and you should have no problem flying home even without a passport. However, if you stop at a non-U.S. territory and need to fly home it will be a problem with no passport. So for example, we are cruising on the Miracle--it is at sea for the first 2 1/2 days but its first stop is Puerto Rico. You can fly home from there with no passport. Next stop is St. Thomas--still considered the U.S. so you can fly home from there as well. Third stop is Tortola--now we have left the U.S. and would have a problem flying home from there with no passport. However, in our case, since that is the last port, staying with the ship would probably not take any longer to get home than trying to fly out with no passport.

I hope this helps. It is still better to have the passport if you can get it--but as long as you have the correct documents, there is no reason to panic. Be optimistic you will get your passport, and if you do not, be optimistic that your cruise will go well and you will have no need to leave the ship early from a non-U.S. port.:)

Next, and this is important because many think they will be stranded if they have an emergency and need to fly home and have no passport. It may or may not be a problem. Here is how it works--

If you are traveling to U.S. territiories such as Puerto Rico or St. Thomas it is deemed that you have not left the country and you should have no problem flying home even without a passport. However, if you stop at a non-U.S. territory and need to fly home it will be a problem with no passport. So for example, we are cruising on the Miracle--it is at sea for the first 2 1/2 days but its first stop is Puerto Rico. You can fly home from there with no passport. Next stop is St. Thomas--still considered the U.S. so you can fly home from there as well. Third stop is Tortola--now we have left the U.S. and would have a problem flying home from there with no passport. However, in our case, since that is the last port, staying with the ship would probably not take any longer to get home than trying to fly out with no passport.

That works out great for your cruise, but what about those cruises where all their ports are not in the U.S.? I wouldn't want anyone to get a false sense of security reading your post, especially if they're doing a Western itinerary.

villa 10,

We too, are at 11 weeks, 2 days--we are not leaving until 6/16, but I am starting to worry!! What number did you use to actually speak to a person? I have tried to call probably 6 times now--I spend about 2 1/2 minutes listening to someone spelling out the website which of course only tells me that my 4 passports are being processed, then it tells me all operators are busy so call back!!! Very frustrating!! We purchased our passports for the emergency situation, my son has a severe peanut/tree nut allergy and I did not want to be stuck in some remote foreign hospital with no way of getting home!

thanks,

Debbie

villa 10,

We too, are at 11 weeks, 2 days--we are not leaving until 6/16, but I am starting to worry!! What number did you use to actually speak to a person? I have tried to call probably 6 times now--I spend about 2 1/2 minutes listening to someone spelling out the website which of course only tells me that my 4 passports are being processed, then it tells me all operators are busy so call back!!! Very frustrating!! We purchased our passports for the emergency situation, my son has a severe peanut/tree nut allergy and I did not want to be stuck in some remote foreign hospital with no way of getting home!

thanks,

Debbie

Just for your information, there are exceptions made in emergencies. You won't have to be stuck in a foreign country just because you don't have your passport. You will be able to fly home in that situation.

What you can't do, is if you miss the ship in say miami, is fly to the first port, let's say it is jamaica, to catch up with the ship.

But anyway, I'm sure your passports will arrive soon.

Enjoy your vacation and be sure to tell your server about your son's allergy.

My post was very clear that if you are stopping at non-U.S. ports you could have a problem if you need to fly home with no passport. I spelled it all out as to how it works so no one would have a false sense of security.

I posted this the other day, but OBVIOUSLY it needs to be repeated;

Per the U.S.Department's website: http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2225.html#12

Q. What happens to U.S. citizens who attempt to re-enter the country without a passport or an alternative travel card?

Under the law, the new documentation requirements may be waived under certain circumstances. These exceptions include individual cases of unforeseen emergency and individual cases based on “humanitarian or national interest reasons.” In addition, the State Department has processes to assist U.S. citizens overseas to obtain emergency travel documentation for those with lost or stolen passports.

For the general public, people who apply for entry but do not have appropriate documentation will be referred for secondary screening at the port. In secondary, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers will evaluate any evidence of citizenship or identity the individual may have and will verify all information against available databases. However, to prevent delay at the ports of entry, we would encourage all U.S. citizens to obtain the appropriate documents before they travel.

There is no way anyone would every be "stuck" in a foreign country. I wish people would stop inferring that if you have to leave the ship at a foreign port that suddenly there is no way to get gome. :rolleyes:

Debbie, even in an emergency you'd be able to get home.

Having spent the last few weeks trying to get status, I have learned the following.

If you let the recording go through without hitting an option, it hangs up on you. Keep hitting that you want to go back to the menu, when given that choice and eventually you will hear music which tells you you are cued to talk to someone.

The reps for the most part are nice but they have no authority to do anything other then to send an e-mail to those proccessing the applications. Once that e-mail has been sent, they have done everything they have authority to do and you are wasting your time calling further.

May help to get a Senator or other government agency involved and to call on your behalf. This is a desperate, last ditch effort.

Duplicate request for your birth Certificate come really fast. Ordered from

California, Wyoming and Alabama and all came within two days through Vital Check. Cost varies according to the state.

Best advise, order passports early and order them expedited.

Good luck to all.

P.s. My sister still does not have hers and it is close to 11 weeks but will not have to have with having got copies of birth certificates.

What you can't do, is if you miss the ship in say miami, is fly to the first port, let's say it is jamaica, to catch up with the ship.
That's not entirely true either. The U.S. travel initiative is for entry/reentry into the United States, by all residents and non-residents.

Most Caribbean countries/islands, Mexico and Canada do not require a passport for entry. Yet.

It would be interesting to know, from a valid source and not just from heresay, exactly what an airline would do in a case in which the traveler was not going to be reentering the country via air.

That's not entirely true either. The U.S. travel initiative is for entry/reentry into the United States, by all residents and non-residents.

Most Caribbean countries/islands, Mexico and Canada do not require a passport for entry. Yet.

It would be interesting to know, from a valid source and not just from heresay, exactly what an airline would be in a case in which the traveler was not going to be reentering the country via air.

You can't fly out of the usa to any foreign port without a valid passport. That includes canada. the airlines will deny you boarding.

So, no you would not be allowed to play catch up with the ship.

for a valid source, try the passport page for the usa.

You can't fly out of the usa to any foreign port without a valid passport. That includes canada. the airlines will deny you boarding.

That is not true, if you call Air Jamaica, they will happily fly you to meet the ship. Also, if you can provide proof of return by sea (your cruise ticket), most airlines will waive the passport rule as a passport is NOT required to depart the United States.

Exactly where on the U.S.Department website is that worded? I would like to know so that all this assumption can be put to rest by actual clarification in writing.

Actually, this should be a wake-up call to everyone to get their passports even if they haven't even booked a cruise (or other trip) yet or if their cruise isn't for several months. Don't wait until 2-3 months before you are scheduled to go. If there is ever a chance that you think you may like to travel out of the country, get a passport.

(I even talked my younger brother into getting a passport several years ago "in case he wins the lottery".)

Thank you to everyone who responded concerning the passport issue and whether I would be able to leave a foreign country or not. I didn't mean to upset anyone by making the comment about being "stuck" in a foreign country. My point was only to say that I purchased the passports to be proactive when it comes to protecting my son's health/life and the thought of being in a foreign country's hospital is terrifying when you don't speak their language. Again, I am sorry if I offended someone.

Debbie

Exactly where on the U.S.Department website is that worded? I would like to know so that all this assumption can be put to rest by actual clarification in writing.

You will not find it anywhere on a US gov web site, it is not a law, it is not a rule - you do NOT need a passport to leave the US. Depending upon the airline, if you do not have the credentials to enter the country you are flying to, or the credentials to return round trip. They are not under any obligation to fly you anywhere - as the arrival country would hold the airline financially responsible for you, there are fines in SOME countries. If you can however show that you have a legal way to return and the appropriate documentation you should be OK, but airlines are private companies and can refuse service to anyone for any reason, including documentation.

But there is no US law requiring a passport to leave, if another country will take you, you are good to go ;)

Thank you to everyone who responded concerning the passport issue and whether I would be able to leave a foreign country or not. I didn't mean to upset anyone by making the comment about being "stuck" in a foreign country. My point was only to say that I purchased the passports to be proactive when it comes to protecting my son's health/life and the thought of being in a foreign country's hospital is terrifying when you don't speak their language. Again, I am sorry if I offended someone.

Debbie

Can I get stuck in Grand Cayman please!!! ;-)

:D :D :D

Debbie

Nothing like that at all Debbie. No offense taken what so ever.

Just trying to help keep people from panicing if they don't get their passports in time for their cruise.

It seems, especially lately, everybody has "facts" and wants to tell people why they "need" their passports when really the U.S.Department of State has plans in place to handle the exceptions.

Now if they could get their act together on the whole processing thing. :D

You will not find it anywhere on a US gov web site, it is not a law, it is not a rule - you do NOT need a passport to leave the US. Depending upon the airline, if you do not have the credentials to enter the country you are flying to, or the credentials to return round trip. They are not under any obligation to fly you anywhere - as the arrival country would hold the airline financially responsible for you, there are fines in SOME countries. If you can however show that you have a legal way to return and the appropriate documentation you should be OK, but airlines are private companies and can refuse service to anyone for any reason, including documentation.

But there is no US law requiring a passport to leave, if another country will take you, you are good to go ;)

yes, you are correct admiral. No law to have it to leave, but the commercial airlines won't let you board ;)

So the answer is, hire a private charter jet ;)

yes, you are correct admiral. No law to have it to leave, but the commercial airlines won't let you board ;)

Which airlines websites is this spelled out at?

I'm not trying to be belligerent, but without substantiating anything with a website quote or link just makes it more assumption.

My opinion, I can't see any airline telling someone that they can't help them catch up to the ship if that airlines flight is delayed and has caused them to miss the ship.

I posted this the other day, but OBVIOUSLY it needs to be repeated;

Per the U.S.Department's website: http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2225.html#12

There is no way anyone would every be "stuck" in a foreign country. I wish people would stop inferring that if you have to leave the ship at a foreign port that suddenly there is no way to get gome. :rolleyes:

Debbie, even in an emergency you'd be able to get home.

If you read it carefully, it the word may is there for a reason. There are no guarantees. The Dept of State does not the the Dept of Homeland Security how to run their ports of entry. The word may is used as a legal disclaimer.

Nah, too expensive there. Now Grand Turk, that wouldn't be so bad. :p

Yeah but beautiful beaches excellent snorkelling and diving and they speak english really well! ha..........:D :D

You are correct, the passport (at least in the US) is not to leave the US. It is to prove who you are when entering another country (if required) and returning to the US (when required). A private jet is not necessarily the answer. Besides that an hour of flight (if it is a jet) will probably cost more than your cruise. If you are flying into a country without a passport and that country requires it, you will be denied entry and will have to go back. This is why the airlines require a passport in order to check you in. If entry into a country is denied because a passenger does not have the proper travel document, the airline not only is fined, but has to fly that individual back at their expense.

If you do not have one just be sure you have an original birth certificate, a photo ID such as a drivers license and if you are a married female it would be a good idea to have a copy of your marriage certificate showing your change in name.

This is great information IF you have a birth certificate. In my case, I'm an old Army Brat :o, I have a FS240, child born abroad naturalization form. Getting a duplicate copy has been an act of congress. I applied in March for both my duplicate and my passport, no word on either. But we don't sail till September, so hopefully I'll have one or the other by then!!

Here's luck to those that have applied! :D

Which airlines websites is this spelled out at?

I'm not trying to be belligerent, but without substantiating anything with a website quote or link just makes it more assumption.

My opinion, I can't see any airline telling someone that they can't help them catch up to the ship if that airlines flight is delayed and has caused them to miss the ship.

Don't know. All I can tell you is my inlaws experience ;) They left ny and had a connecting flight. At the connecting flight my dadinlaw realized he left his passports home in the safe...lol

phone calls back and forth etc, not enough time to make the flight and they landed up missing the ship.

their friends went on, they came home the next night.

Quite honestly I've had a passport for so long I don't remember not having one

so I've never even considered what would happen if I didn't have one.

Anyway, on all the international flights I've taken, I've had to show it to get on the flight.

But then again, I imagine a bc and a picture id would be sufficient to show proof of citizenship.

So yeah, it would totally be horrible to miss the ship and not be allowed to catch up to it. But whatever, it happens.

my inlaws cruise landed up being covered by trip insurance.

Archived