Passport needed on Star to Alaska?

Mateo

My wife and I have passports already and will be taking our kids 9 and 5. We do have official birth certificates for them, but do we need passports? Prince Ruppert, British Columbia is one port I'm wondering about. We don't want to get them if we don't need to at this point. Thanks for any reply.

See except from: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.

So if you had to fly home from Canada (emergency) you will need them

Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.

travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

so if you had to fly home from Canada(emergency) you woudl need them

My wife and I have passports already and will be taking our kids 9 and 5. We do have official birth certificates for them, but do we need passports? Prince Ruppert, British Columbia is one port I'm wondering about. We don't want to get them if we don't need to at this point. Thanks for any reply.

Hi there! You didn't say when you and your family are going to Alaska however I felt that I must pass this bit of information on to you and I got it from the 2007-2008 Freestyle Cruising brochure that covers not only Alaska cruises but the rest of the areas that NCL cruises too. In the back of the brochure under "We've Got Answers" there is a section with a question that reads, "What kind of travel documents, visa, or passports do I need?" The answer is a bit long but here goes anyway. "It's important you provide us with your key personal information (passport numbers, etc.) in advance. Visit ncl.com/advanceregistration and fill out the appropriate form, or you can obtain a form through your travel agent and return it to us via fax or mail. Be sure and check with your travel professional or the appropriate authorities before your trip to determine requirements for inoculations, passports, visas, and other mandatory documentation. Cruise refunds may not be issued if you are denied boarding due to lack of proper documents. The following information offers so9me guidelines for international travel, but please note that this list is not exhaustive. Please check the State Department's website at www.travel.gov/passport for overseas information. FOR U.S. CITIZENS: Due to new security regulations required by the U.S. government, all guests must carry a valid passport, and that includes adults, children, and infants, for all NCL sailings. However, for U.S. citizens sailing aboard our NCL America ships in Hawai'i~Pride of Hawai'i, Pride of America, and Pride of Aloha~please bring a government-issued photo ID. A passport is not technically required but is recommended. FOR NON-U.S. CITIZENS: All guests must carry a valid passport as well as all visas and documentation required by pertinent government agencies for all NCL sailings and NCL America sailings. Again, please check with the proper agencies and authorities before you sail because we cannot board any guest without the proper documentation."

I know that you would rather not have to get passports for your kids but my suggestion is that you do anyway. If you are unsure, you might want to contact NCL directly. If you get into NCL's website you will find a section under "Contact Us" that gives several phone numbers to call for a variety of information. Please also be aware that passports are taking a fair amount of time to get due to the large demand for them. Cindy and I spent the extra $60 each to have our passport applications expedited and are very glad we did. Our travel agent has told us that she has had a number of clients that did not pay the extra for expedited service and waited over 3 months to get their passports. Good luck! Jeff

Last year you could have receoved a passport in four to six weeks. Its up to twelve to fourteen weeks now, and expected to get worse.

If you plan to bring your kids along with you next year, get their passports now.

If you plan to go abroad for a vacation next year, get your passports now.

THERE IS NO PRIZE WAITING TO GET YOUR PASSPORTS.

Archived