Adventure of the Seas - Our favorite things!

We have booked the AOS July 29th. I am a little confused about boarding time.

So, what time did you board the ship and also what time did the ship actually leave the port?

Thanks for the info! Glad you all had a great time.

We have booked the AOS July 29th. I am a little confused about boarding time.

So, what time did you board the ship and also what time did the ship actually leave the port?

Thanks for the info! Glad you all had a great time.

We boarded around 11:30-noon. We waited in line about 10 min. or so. I wouldn't recommend earlier. We were platinum, my parents were not, we all ended up at the same place at the same time. All areas are open at 4pm. It's supposed to be all aboard by 5p,muster at 6p. I don't think that message was clear at all. In the documents you receive will vaguely mention 5pm as the time to board..........need better communication. Many are skipping out on muster this way, which IMHO is just lame. They'll be the first ones to panic and kill someone in a real emergency.

We sailed at 8-8:30, so if you are at first dinner and don't rush just a bit you miss the actually Bon Voyage. We were already sailing when we walked out from dinner. My documents said 8:30 , so that was a tad disappointing. It is the prettiest departure and I do like the new time....just would prefer RCCL read their own compass and stick to it.

Karen

Can you give more infomration about what you did in St. Thomas? We will be there of the June 3 cruise. We've done Magen's bay, Trunk Bay and Coki beach in the past. No much for shopping.

Thanks.

We sailed with High pockets. It was a yacht that holds 6 people. It includes a full day of sailing 1-2 stops, lunch, drinks. By Sat. we wanted to get away from the crowds, so it was a great day. $115 cash, $125 credit card per person. Seemed pricey initially but we all agreed it was our best day. It's not for everyone, but we were thrilled.

Karen

We just booked a cruise on the Adventure a couple days ago, so I have many questions.Sorry!!

Did anyone stay at the Marriott Milano in SJ?

Any reccomendations for dinner in OldSJ or anywhere else in SJ?

Do they serve lunch on the ship on embarkation day?

I'd love more info on Curacoa!! Did you do private tours?(I've read about Blue Angel tours,any good?)

Which side of the ship would give you the best views overall while in port?

THANK YOU!!!!!!

All areas are open at 4pm.

Not sure about rest of areas, I can't remember anything closed when we boarded at 11:50 except that the staterooms were not available until about 1:45 (sign onboard says 2 pm, but they were available earlier).

Thanks Karen. I emailed them and the Winifred yesterday an am waiting for information.

Sounds great!

Honestly, I hate to compare, but if you get a choice go with High pockets. The equipment and food was a tad better, but you really can't go wrong with either! Have fun!

Karen

We just booked a cruise on the Adventure a couple days ago, so I have many questions.Sorry!!

Did anyone stay at the Marriott Milano in SJ?

Any reccomendations for dinner in OldSJ or anywhere else in SJ?

Do they serve lunch on the ship on embarkation day?

I'd love more info on Curacoa!! Did you do private tours?(I've read about Blue Angel tours,any good?)

Which side of the ship would give you the best views overall while in port?

THANK YOU!!!!!!

We stayed at Courtyard Miramar pre cruise and Courtyard Isla Verde post. It was pricier post, but we would repeat it! Walk to Metropol, Isla Verde. Awesome food, reasonable prices.! As in any big city, be on your guard. A guy was following us and got in the middle of our group. I purposely called the group back to change up direction to see if he'd con't on. He stopped and acted like he was looking for something, looked at me I said "You lost?" with my hands on my hips and he crossed the street. I am 90% sure I knew his motives, which was to get the wallet out of my Dad's pocket in front of him. I'll never know, but dad has his wallet. Just be aware, like you would be in any big city, of the people around you! Don't be afraid to smile and make direct eye contact.

Curacao we did the sea lion snorkel. We enjoyed it, but really didn't interact with them quite as much as I had hoped. We did get to pet them and get a kiss from them, but that can be done in the encounter and costs $50 less. We really liked walking acrossed the floating bridge.

Don't forget to check out the "Ports of Call" section on the main boards!

Karen

Ok, so I have a question...

We will be on the Sept 2nd AOS sailing and are flying in a day pre cruise. Our flight SHOULD arrive by 1:15. Am I being too optimistic about being able to visit El Morro the same day? What about the bioluminescent bay or El Yunque Rain Forest? Do you think there is enough time to see any sights prior to boarding the next day?? Im not crazy enough to try for all 3, but two would be awesome. Afterall its MY BIRTHDAY (Sept 1st)! :D

I appreciate your insight :)

We were on the March 11 AOS cruise, and loved it. We were in Aruba until 1 a.m. the following morning; I know this has now changed, and the ship leaves Aruba at 8:30, I believe.

I had booked the Flying Fishbone restaurant in Aruba because of BuyReallyLow's recommendation on this board. What an incredible experience. We watched the breathtaking Aruban sunset while dining on tables set up in the sand. Our reservation was for 5:30; it is an approximately 20 minute taxi ride to get there. Well worth it!

My husband and son did the America Cup Regatta, and have great memories. My daughter and I lazed around on Orient Bay -- a beautiful beach.

"Am I being too optimistic about being able to visit El Morro the same day? What about the bioluminescent bay"

Okay, we were in SJ last week. El Morro takes about 1 1/2 hrs to see and is really close to Old San Juan for sightseeing. The Bio Bay (which we've missed on both trips to SJ) supposedly trip leaves SJ around 6 pm & returns at 11 PM. That leaves Sun free. You should be able to do 2 out of 3 easily if the weather cooperates.

I had the name of the hotel wrong - it's the Courtyard Mirimar, was there anything wrong with it and where did you have dinner that first night,was it close to the Mirimar? thanks for all your help!!!

I thought it was a fine hotel. Right on the busline.Your room most likely won't be ready until 3pm, but they will hold your luggage for you. It's no frills, but we found it to be clean and friendly. We walked to a restaurant within 4 blocks that began with a "C". I am so sorry I cannot remember the name! It was reasonable and the best black beans I've ever had! There was a bit of a language barrier at the restaurant, but get through it- it was worth it!

The hotel is in the middle of the city, so it's a cement jungle, like any city. I'd eat dinner early and not be out after dark. Kids loved the pool, which was a simple cement pool.

Karen

Ok, so I have a question...

We will be on the Sept 2nd AOS sailing and are flying in a day pre cruise. Our flight SHOULD arrive by 1:15. Am I being too optimistic about being able to visit El Morro the same day? What about the bioluminescent bay or El Yunque Rain Forest? Do you think there is enough time to see any sights prior to boarding the next day?? Im not crazy enough to try for all 3, but two would be awesome. Afterall its MY BIRTHDAY (Sept 1st)! :D

I appreciate your insight :)

We were at our hotel by 3pm, and had time to visit El Morro (closes at 6pm May- ?Oct?) and some of OSJ. I felt we had plenty of time to also do Biobay, but we had some elderly in our group so we didn't push it. (Sleep on the plane and later the next morning)> I'd give up El Yunque if I had to chose. Biobay is the hardest to catch! Check the moon's calender to see if it's worth it.

Karen

i can't wait,still 9 months to go :(

I enjoyed following the cruide diva's website (can't post it here ,but search it) . It gives a timeline and helps keep you on track and excited! Calgon's packing list , which should be on theat website is at least a week's read in itself!)

Karen

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the RCCL cookbook and have been trying the recipes. This week it's the chilled berry soup. It is $30 and has all kinds of recipes (Lots of soups, too!)

Karen, who keeps thinking of her favorite things.......

T. Marie,

We are also on the September 2nd AOS!!! We can't wait. It is my wife and I and our two kids...daughter is 12 and son is p...We are also flying in the day before around 1:15!!! USAIR flight out of Charlotte!!!!!:)

Karen - Thanks for the information!

I'm so excited about our cruise, I can't hardly stand it! I'm driving my husband a little bit nuts because he likes to go with the flow. However, I want to get my excursions nailed down!

By the way - I'm not too far from you - Evansville, Indiana. In fact, I will be in Cinci tomorrow, passing through on my way to Michigan.

I grew up in Evansville - live in Chicago suburbs now... Do you like living there?

Not a one in our neighborhood, but there were others that were swamped!

Are you on the east side or west side?

I’m west near the Morton Arboretum. We didn’t have as many as some of the older communities. The cicadas here were really loud. They started in at about 8 AM and went until the sun set. I think they’ve died off….not so much noise today.

For those of you that don’t know what we hijacked this thread about…..we have cicadas that come up out of the ground every 17 years to mate. They sing their mating call for about a month, do their thing, and then the males die and the females go back underground.

And to keep things legit on this thread…I’ve sailed on AOS twice and loved making my own sea day while the ship was in port….not a chair hog in sight! 6.gif

I’m west near the Morton Arboretum. We didn’t have as many as some of the older communities. The cicadas here were really loud. They started in at about 8 AM and went until the sun set. I think they’ve died off….not so much noise today.

For those of you that don’t know what we hijacked this thread about…..we have cicadas that come up out of the ground every 17 years to mate. They sing their mating call for about a month, do their thing, and then the males die and the females go back underground.

And to keep things legit on this thread…I’ve sailed on AOS twice and loved making my own sea day while the ship was in port….not a chair hog in sight! 6.gif

OK - since I get on AOS in a very short few days... any advice?

OK - since I get on AOS in a very short few days... any advice?

It’s great. We did both itineraries. The St. Lucia one is port heavy so we made our second at sea day while the ship was in port in St. Thomas.

I’d definitely recommend having dinner at Portofino….it is so worth the $20pp upcharge. The Love and Marriage game is a riot and the ice show is fantastic.

Archived