Airfare costs

LoriLinay

Even though it's too early to book airfare, I have started to research by "pretending" that we are flying this June, instead of next June. Still 30+ days out though.

I can't believe that I'm not finding any airfare from NYC under $900, ONE WAY. Is this possible? Or am I just in sticker shock? I flew to London right when Virgin was starting out, it was $99. (promotional thing of course) We were in our 20's, had lots of time, and flew over there for 2 days. Insane.

We need to fly from Minneapolis, to NYC then to London. So the MPLS to NYC will add at least another $300 each. YIKES!!

I HAVE to do the transatlantic for UNDER $8000. Cabin came in at $4000. So if I'm spending over $2000 for air, there isn't a lot left for fun!;)

Any ideas? Tips? Donations???

I can't believe that I'm not finding any airfare from NYC under $900, ONE WAY.

I booked airfare for 10th June for ~$390 two weeks ago on Air Lingus - and have booked airfare in November for $260 (British Airways). Checking on the site I usually book on there is one-way from MSP to London for ~$460.....the trick is not to book direct with the airline (except Aer Lingus - who do have reasonable deals online) but try http://www.1800flyeurope.com which seems to do good deals on one-way air (they're a broker, not a TA - so (I think) I'm not breaching forum guidelines....)

Peter

Peter, you are the best EVER. I found a flight for a full $450 cheaper. And that includes the Minnesota connection. It doesn't even go near NYC. MPLS to Iceland to London. $600.

Thank you sooooo very much.

I have flown icelandic. they use smaller planes 757's but it is ok...as long as you don't get a center seat.

Don't they stop in Iceland?

Either way, I flew to Iceland from England with them. Very efficient.

Matthew

I use http://www.sidestep.com for my oneway air. It's sent me to orbitz for VS everytime.

When I was considering the 6/10 sailing, BOS air priced at $479 o/w nonstop.

Virgin direct was over $800.

For my 1/6/08 crossing, Virgin direct priced at $777.... through Orbitz $235.

We need to fly from Minneapolis, to NYC then to London. So the MPLS to NYC will add at least another $300 each. YIKES!!...

Why not fly to London non-stop from either Winnipeg or Chicago. You could drive to either from Minneapolis and long-term park.

Paul

I HAVE to do the transatlantic for UNDER $8000. Cabin came in at $4000. So if I'm spending over $2000 for air, there isn't a lot left for fun!;)

Any ideas? Tips? Donations???

Received a flyer from Cunard yesterday touting transatlantic fares like $1099. pp for a balcony B6 in October 2007, easbound the 7th and 19th, westbound the 13th and 25. Assuming they will offer something similar in 2008 that's $4400. for a transatlantic round trip for the two of you. So why not consider making the QM2 your destination as well as your transportation and spend the remaining $3600. on board and for getting to and from NYC.

Paul

I'm going on the Queen Victoria for the maiden W/B transatlantic in tandem with the QE2 on January 6, 2008. I just booked a one way, Newark to London for $296 on Virgin Atlantic through Orbitz, including all fees. The same flight through Virgin's own site was over $700.

OCN

Where is that information from? I didn't realize you could book air like that. Thanks for the tip!

Oh, I'm an agent, so I just look it up in my reservation system.

My confusion is increasing every minute.

Some informational sites are saying that Cunard includes "getting there, or getting back" airfare for TransAtlantics in their cruise fare. I'm just hard pressed to find any consistant information.

I'm fully expecting airfare to be higher because I'm looking at a summer voyage.

Welcome to Cunard! (Especially if you call their customer service agents...). Some rates will include air (the higher ones) others not.......Fear not, very quickly you will know more about your journey than anyone else on the planet.......;)

Some informational sites are saying that Cunard includes "getting there, or getting back" airfare for TransAtlantics in their cruise fare. I'm just hard pressed to find any consistant information.

I'm fully expecting airfare to be higher because I'm looking at a summer voyage.

I'd read that they sometimes offer specials with the airfare included in the cruise fare, but I don't think it's always included. Since you're got a while to wait, I'd keep an eye out for such a special and see if your travel agent can get a deal for you if one pops up for your sailing.

Cunard does NOT include airfare in their North American fares. Air is an add on, as well as transfers.

Archived