need info on Sanctuary on Crown please

crissyp

can any of you experienced cruisers out tell me alittle about the sanctuary onboard the Crown? I realize there is a charge for 1/2 days and full day.

I was interested in booking a couples massage in the Sanctuary under one of those canopys. How do I book that?? And how much $$ can we expect to pay?

Thanks for any info, much appreciated

Crissy

The massages in the Sanctuary are booked through the spa like you would book any other massage - just let them know you are looking to have yours their. I don't recall if it was any more money than a massage in the spa; I don't think so. The charge for the sanctuary is simply to sit there, relax and enjoy the services and peace and quiet you won't necessarily find out on a deck elsewhere on the ship. It really has nothing to do with the spa services. We really loved the sanctuary: I wish it were on more of their ships as I didn't mind paying to have the quiet of no kids and the extra service. I enjoy that on vacation.

Barbara...thanks... is it best to pre-book that through Princess ( if you can) or to book in onboard.

I'll going to see if I can find anything on Princess website...

thanks again,

Crissy

I just got off the May 12th sailing of the Crown and we used the Sanctuary twice. The cost is $10 per half day or $20 per full day on sea days as well as port days. I seems like most people tend to book the full day so there may be limited spaces for the afternoon only.

The big advantage of the Sanctuary is it gives you a very comfortable lounge chair that is yours for the day in a peaceful area of the ship that is adults only and non-smoking. In my opinion it is well worth the $20.

After reading these boards I decided to arrive about 7:45 am on my first day at the Sanctuary to be sure of getting a spot. I was the only one there. One other person came at 8 am when it opened. At 10 am there were still plenty of empty chairs.

The next time I wanted to use the Sanctuary I arrived at 8 am when it opened and there were 10 people in line in front of me. Still no problem getting a space. But as more people decided to use the Sanctuary you did need to get there early. They have their own towels and you are served ice water.

They also have Ipod-like music players for free. There is a limited menu in the Sanctuary but they charge a $3 service charge for each two items they deliver. You can get your own food from on deck and bring it back yourself but you can only get the special Sanctuary items if you pay the delivery charge and the server brings them.

I'd definitely use the Sanctuary again. Tom.

In February, DH and I will be on the Emerald that will also have a Santuary, and I'd like to try it at least once. A couple of questions:

What are the hours of the Sanctuary and what is the half-day schedule?

Is the area sunny, shady, or partly-shaded? Neither DH nor I would want to be in the sun for more than a couple of hours each.

If I only want to stay for half my session, could DH come and use the luxury lounger for the remaining time?

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Is the Santuary shady or are there areas that you can sit in the sun? Do you charge the $20 per person when you are in the line up in the morning? Does anyone have pictures of the Santuary?

In February, DH and I will be on the Emerald that will also have a Santuary, and I'd like to try it at least once. A couple of questions:

What are the hours of the Sanctuary and what is the half-day schedule?

Is the area sunny, shady, or partly-shaded? Neither DH nor I would want to be in the sun for more than a couple of hours each.

If I only want to stay for half my session, could DH come and use the luxury lounger for the remaining time?

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Hi Chris,

The Sanctuary on the Crown was open from 8am until 5:30pm, it was divided into two sessions - 8am-12:30pm and 1pm-5:30pm.

You are given a pass to come and go, I saw many people coming and going so I'm pretty sure you and Mike could share.

There are loungers out in sun and the others are under the "dome", but the sun does peak through. They will take you in and let you choose your lounger (I can't begin to tell you how comfortable they are). The loungers along the outside can be turned to face the sea...ahhhh. There are also big comfortable chairs if you are in the sun and want to take a break in a shady area.

The spa pool is just downstairs and sometimes the folks got a little rowdy down there which kind of takes away from the lovely ambience there, but oh well.

The food there is awesome - I actually took pictures of the menu and will post the soon (along with all my other photos).

Go Red Wings!

People start lining up as early as 7:30 am and you can select your chair when it opens at 8 am. Keep in mind that the chairs can be moved so you are not necessarily confined to one position. Tom.

so this is an outdoor area? just wondering because we will be on the Crown in Oct from New York to Cananda, so I am thinking it will be too cold to be sitting outdoors, hope I'm wrong!

I loved it. We went on a port day in the afternoon. We were the only people there. I had a great nap on the VERY comfortable, dry lounge chair.

They bring you ice water with lemon and a large spa towel.

I think the best part was being away from the ongoing noise from MUTS. The kids in the family pool weren't nearly as obnoxious as the vibrating bass from the MUTS sound system. Argh!

The use of the pool is free, you must pay to use the Sanctuary area itself.

Hi Chris,

The Sanctuary on the Crown was open from 8am until 5:30pm, it was divided into two sessions - 8am-12:30pm and 1pm-5:30pm.

You are given a pass to come and go, I saw many people coming and going so I'm pretty sure you and Mike could share.

There are loungers out in sun and the others are under the "dome", but the sun does peak through. They will take you in and let you choose your lounger (I can't begin to tell you how comfortable they are). The loungers along the outside can be turned to face the sea...ahhhh. There are also big comfortable chairs if you are in the sun and want to take a break in a shady area.

The spa pool is just downstairs and sometimes the folks got a little rowdy down there which kind of takes away from the lovely ambience there, but oh well.

The food there is awesome - I actually took pictures of the menu and will post the soon (along with all my other photos).

Thank you, Sharon. You are always such a sweetie about answering questions and providing good information. I think Mike and/or I will treat ourselves to at least one half-day in the Sanctuary when we're on the Emerald. Looking forward to more of your fabulous photos of the Crown.

Thanks for supporting our team. Alas! I think it was a good night for Jordin Sparks but the Red Wings won't be sipping Champagne from Lord Stanley's cup :( .

Chris

thanks for all the info on the Sanctuary...It sounds heavenly:D

Did anyone have and maybe saw anyone getting a massage in the Sanctuary? Can someone please let me know how to make those arrangements. DO I make them ahead of time?

thanks,

Chris

You book your massage for the sanctuary through the spa just tell them you want it up there vs. in a treatment room. I don't recall if you could book them ahead of time online specifically for the sanctuary or you had to wait til you were on the ship. We had booked our massages ahead of time for a treatment room not even thinking of having it up there. When we used the sanctuary there was a pretty good flow of people/couples coming and going for massages so I would suggest booking as far in advance as you can.

Unfortunately, you can't buy a Sanctuary pass for the entire cruise. But you can buy both morning and afternoon passes in the morning so you can reserve a full day.

As for the massages, I'm not sure there's really a big advantage to having one in the Sanctuary. You're really getting a massage in a tent and I don't think you would have much of a view since the tent is pretty well enclosed.

I'd look at it before booking a massage. Tom.

Hi Chrissy,

We took the 5-12 sailing on Crown and I wanted to book Sanctuary but really had no need to. The one day I did go there in the AM they told me to come back at 1 for the afternoon 1/2 day and I never did. You probably will have no trouble-it was never crowded. But go to the Lotus Spa 16 forward and ask when you board. It turned out that we found a chaise at the Outrigger Pool deck 14 aft-every day. It is an adult only small pool and delightful....we got our lunch at the Caribe Cafe and sat outside and ate at the counter overlooking the pool...there is a teen jacuzzi two decks up but since there were no teens in it, we used it a couple of times. Happy Sailing-you will love the ship.

Archived