Hawaii Cheat Sheet - compiled from many contributors on the forum

gloryb2god

We like the thought that the Ambassador Circle the Island and Polynesian Cultural Center excursion will fulfill a lot of the things to do from the OP list, but it will be a long day.

With the Polynesian Ambassador Tour you get a small group guided tour at PCC, prime rib/seafood buffet, souvenir DVD, and premium evening show seating with special dessert at intermission and behind-the-scenes tour.

Leaves Waikiki: 8:00am / Arrives at PCC: 12:30pm

1.Diamond Head & Black Point Lookout

2.Kahala

3.Hanauma Bay Lookout

4.Halona Blow Hole

5.Makapuu Lookout & Light House

6.Pali Lookout

7.Dole Plantation

8.Haleiwa Pineapple Fields

9.North Shore Beaches

10.Hawaii Temple

11.Polynesian Cultural Center

• Noon admission up to 7 villages & exhibits

• Canoe ride

• Tram tour of Laie

• Small group guided tour

• Ambassador dining - Prime Rib/Seafood buffet

• Souvenir DVD

• Premium seating at "Ha: Breath of Life"

• Sherbet delight dessert (at intermission)

• Behind the scenes tour - Pacific Theater

• Free admission within 3 days

Everything I've read says that the Aloha Tower is currently "in a state of disrepair" and no one is sure what the university's plans are for it. However, there seems to be agreement that local cultural groups will not allow it to be demolished as it is such a historical landmark.

I hope it doesn't get torn down. We first went there in 1995 on our honeymoon when it seemed to be thriving. On our second Hawaiian cruise in 2010/11, it looked like it had gone downhill (lots of vacancies) since our first cruise in 2005.

This is our plans which are pretty much set, so here is our itinerary. We will report back after our cruise with the good and bad.

April 24 - Arrive - We hope to meet up with Melissa's cousin who is stationed in Honolulu and buy him dinner - DK's Steakhouse?

April 25 - Explore Waikiki- beach time - Dinner @ House Without Keys

April 26 - Ambassador Circle the Island and Polynesian Cultural Center excursion. (Long day and whirlwind tour but we will see alot)

April 27 - Waikiki Beach day - check-in to the Radiance

April 28 - Kauai - Hollywood in Hawaii - Movies and Waterfalls

April 29 - Kona - Body Glove Snorkel and Dolphin Encounter

April 30 - Hilo - Hilo & Kilauea Volcano

May 1 - Lahaina -Ka'anapali Beach Day - Lunch @ Fleetwoods - Dinner @ Old Lahaina Luau

May 2 - Waikiki - Arizona Memorial & USS Missouri

May 3 - 7 Seadays. Relax? Party? Reserve our next cruise. (Jewel of the Seas January 17, 2015 Southern Caribbean) Yea!!

May 8 - Victoria - Enchanting Butchart Gardens - Fresh Caught Fish lunch at port area - Irish Bar

May 9 - Vancouver - Depart for home - (BOO! HSSS!)

May 10 - Return to work? OMG! That will suck!!

We're on the Solstice in April and would also like to go to the Old Lahaina Luau, but not sure of transport to and from, how are you going about this?

I sent them an email regarding this but their reply only asked where will our ship be tendered - Lahaina or Kahului harbor, which I presume is Lahaina as that is what's listed as the port on our itinerary (but have not heard back from them after I replied).

Edited by sussanahrose

We're on the Solstice in April and would also like to go to the Old Lahaina Luau, but not sure of transport to and from, how are you going about this?

I sent them an email regarding this but their reply only asked where will our ship be tendered - Lahaina or Kahului harbor, which I presume is Lahaina as that is what's listed as the port on our itinerary (but have not heard back from them after I replied).

We are just going to take a short taxi ride over and back to OLL from the port. I think Celebrity also uses the Lahaina port. Are you in port the same day as us? We were thinking about cruising on the Solstice for this cruise but decided to stick with the cruise line we know best. Have you gone on your Roll Call and check to see if any of your fellow cruisers have a group planned? We have a fairly large group for our luau.

Only 10 weeks to go!! Hawaii here we come!!

We are just going to take a short taxi ride over and back to OLL from the port. I think Celebrity also uses the Lahaina port. Are you in port the same day as us? We were thinking about cruising on the Solstice for this cruise but decided to stick with the cruise line we know best. Have you gone on your Roll Call and check to see if any of your fellow cruisers have a group planned? We have a fairly large group for our luau.

Only 10 weeks to go!! Hawaii here we come!!

Thanks! Yes, I posted on our roll call too and got the same reply - so it seems a taxi will be easy enough - and hopefully plenty of them to get back to the ship on time, think we leave at 10pm. There seems to be a few who have booked it too. We are there on 30th April.

Our tour in Kauai is Hollywood in Hawaii tour and this is the itinerary and what was filmed there.

Wailua Falls - Fantasy a Island, Amazing Race, Tropic Thunder

Hanamaula Bay - Donovan's Reef

Opaekaa Falls - Donovan's Reef

Coco Palms- Blue Hawaii

Kapaa Town - Jurassic Park

Aliomanu - six days Seven nights

Moloaa Bay - Gilligans Island

Tahiti Nui - The Descendants

Hanalei Valley - Uncommon Valor

Hanalei Bay - Miss Sadie Thompson

Hanalei Pier - South Pacific

Our tour in Kauai is Hollywood in Hawaii tour and this is the itinerary and what was filmed there.

Coco Palms- Blue Hawaii

We did this tour in December 2012. It was great! When you're having lunch at the Tahiti Nui, make sure to look at the photographs on the wall.

This is our plans which are pretty much set, so here is our itinerary. We will report back after our cruise with the good and bad.

April 24 - Arrive - We hope to meet up with Melissa's cousin who is stationed in Honolulu and buy him dinner - DK's Steakhouse?

April 25 - Explore Waikiki- beach time - Dinner @ House Without Keys

April 26 - Ambassador Circle the Island and Polynesian Cultural Center excursion. (Long day and whirlwind tour but we will see alot)

April 27 - Waikiki Beach day - check-in to the Radiance

April 28 - Kauai - Hollywood in Hawaii - Movies and Waterfalls

April 29 - Kona - Body Glove Snorkel and Dolphin Encounter

April 30 - Hilo - Hilo & Kilauea Volcano

May 1 - Lahaina -Ka'anapali Beach Day - Lunch @ Fleetwoods - Dinner @ Old Lahaina Luau

May 2 - Waikiki - Arizona Memorial & USS Missouri

May 3 - 7 Seadays. Relax? Party? Reserve our next cruise. (Jewel of the Seas January 17, 2015 Southern Caribbean) Yea!!

May 8 - Victoria - Enchanting Butchart Gardens - Fresh Caught Fish lunch at port area - Irish Bar

May 9 - Vancouver - Depart for home - (BOO! HSSS!)

May 10 - Return to work? OMG! That will suck!!

IN VICTORIA GO TO: Marg's Fish N Chips on the Warf (can walk from ship). Ask any local for directions..its famous for fresh fish and cool to eat on the warf! (I'm originally from there)

• 1 month later...

IN VICTORIA GO TO: Marg's Fish N Chips on the Warf (can walk from ship). Ask any local for directions..its famous for fresh fish and cool to eat on the warf! (I'm originally from there)

I tried to find Marg's on trip advisor but to no avail. You sure you don't mean Barbs'? Mixed reviews on that restaurant. Used to be better?

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know where there might be this type of information but current??

Jancruz1

Cruise Critic's parent site, TripAdvisor :)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g29222-i37-Oahu_Hawaii.html

Dusty is one of the Oahu Destination Experts over there.

And no one is going to tear down the Aloha Tower, parts of the Aloha Tower Marketplace interior will be demolished and reconfigured. Hawaii Pacific is going to use part of the new building for dorms, part for retail and part for other student services.

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news/2013/09/26/hpu-hires-group-70-to-redesign-aloha.html

Edited by scottca075
added link

Cruise Critic's parent site, TripAdvisor :)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g29222-i37-Oahu_Hawaii.html

Dusty is one of the Oahu Destination Experts over there.

And no one is going to tear down the Aloha Tower, parts of the Aloha Tower Marketplace interior will be demolished and reconfigured. Hawaii Pacific is going to use part of the new building for dorms, part for retail and part for other student services.

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news/2013/09/26/hpu-hires-group-70-to-redesign-aloha.html

So glad to hear this. Hopefully the port terminal won't get turned down -- the article doesn't mention it. Maybe the original plan was to tear the entire area down and that got changed. I was just reading about San Diego's Padre Stadium and apparently one building that was going to get torn down to build the stadium was then named a historic building so it became a part of the stadium instead.

Edited by Cruisin' Chick

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What a great list! We have been there and love it!

One thing that hasn't made the list and everyone has to try at least once is HULA PIE at Duke's Restaurant. We had heard about it so we went to try it. We each ordered a piece of Hula Pie and could not figure out why the waitress gave us a look...until we received our order.....we EACH received one of these! They are massive, as well as delicious!

156507175_DukesHulaPie.jpg.a5bf83964e701dc9cd49f7a3ab8cb3f7.jpg

Edited by alibabacruisers

Coco Palms- Blue Hawaii

We loved this tour. We thought the highlight was the Coco Palms where Elvis Blue Hawaii was filmed there was a charming man named Larry Riveria that was in the movie and talked lovingly about the now destroyed hotel. He sang to us and showed us dances. It just too bad the hotel is in such disrepair. All the other stops were beautiful and interesting. It was such a great day. It was a Roberts van and guide.

• 1 month later...

This list is amazing. Thanks to all!! We leave on 7/9 for our trip and I can't wait. It will be our 2nd trip to Hawaii.

One thing I would suggest for the over 21 crowd would be Warren and Annabelle's Magic Show on Maui. A local had suggested it on our last trip. It sounded kind of goofy but thought - what the heck?? It was fabulous!! I laughed till I cried! For a fun night I would highly suggest this show. Wish I could see it again this trip but my daughter is only 18.

Cami

Melbourne,FL

POA July12-19, 2014

This list is amazing. Thanks to all!! We leave on 7/9 for our trip and I can't wait. It will be our 2nd trip to Hawaii.

One thing I would suggest for the over 21 crowd would be Warren and Annabelle's Magic Show on Maui. A local had suggested it on our last trip. It sounded kind of goofy but thought - what the heck?? It was fabulous!! I laughed till I cried! For a fun night I would highly suggest this show. Wish I could see it again this trip but my daughter is only 18.

Cami

Melbourne,FL

POA July12-19, 2014

Was this something you did on your own. Is there anyplace to take a looksee at it online? Thanks

Was this something you did on your own. Is there any place to take a look see at it online? Thanks

We also saw this show a few years ago and it was one of the best shows we have seen. If it has not changed in the past five years, two big thumbs-up from us. Yes, it is a "do on your own" and you need to make reservations far in advance.

http://www.warrenandannabelles.com/

We also saw this show a few years ago and it was one of the best shows we have seen. If it has not changed in the past five years, two big thumbs-up from us. Yes, it is a "do on your own" and you need to make reservations far in advance.

http://www.warrenandannabelles.com/

My daughter has seen them on land trips, & says it's better than any luau you could think of going to.:D

got an email from National Geographic today with this link of things to do in Hawaii - could not post link but googling "National Geographic top ten Hawaii" will get you there

Edited by jpsykes