Jacksonville Beach Questions

jbhcw

We are booked on the Celebration in November and want to spend a few nights pre-cruise in Jacksonville Beach. There is a new Marriott Courtyard being built there, hoping prices will come down before if opens:) Questions are- how far is Jacksonville Beach from Jaxport and is Jacksonville Beach a place you can walk to restaurants, stores? Any info will be appreciated:)

According to Mapquest, it is about 20 miles from Jax Beach to Jaxport, about a 30 minute drive.

Here is a link to a site with info re Jax Beach - click on "tourism", then "restaurants" to get a nice detailed map (the pdf).

http://www.jaxbch.govoffice.com/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={397C7896-8B9D-46F1-BA61-DEB383C817D7}

Be sure to check out the photo gallery link on the left too.

If you have time and have never been, you really should take a day trip to St. Augustine.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your cruise on Celebration - we sure did!

you can walk to almost any type of restaurant you choose. As the former poster stated, if you can, you should drive south to St Augustine. This is a beautiful city and can only be appreciated by walking the bayfront, the historic areas and some of the best food you will ever eat. The beach's are beautiful in St Augustine as well as Jax Beach. Either place you will have a fabulous time. The port is easy to find and there are always police to help with the traffic as well as port employees that are very helpful and friendly. Marriott hotels as well as the Hiltons pretty much maintain their prices through the year. But if possible, go for it, they are fabulous, great rooms, wonderful staff and excellent restaurants. If I can provide any other information (I live in St Augustine), please just ask.

have a wonderful cruise!:)

Thanks for the replys!!! We stopped in St.Augustine on our honeymoon many years ago, so do plan to spend one day there. We usually stay at the World Golf Village when we go to Florida but wanted somewhere on the beach this time close to Jacksonville:)

Sometimes Marriott will bring their prices down for a new property,and there's always AAA or Government rate, but so far no luck:)

Any specific restaurants in St. Aug or Jacksonville for great seafood? We have eaten the past two trips at Harry's Bar and Grille, I think that's the name in St. Aug.

I totally agree about the Sea Turtle, nice rooms, good restaurant and in the middle of many good places. You did mention that you wanted to spend a few days before your cruise. Here are some suggestions for fabulous eating establishments: in Jacksonville Beach, a fantastic restaurant, Tento Churrascaria, this place is fantastic and you probably will need a reservation. It is a Brazalian steak house, there is a hugh buffet for everything except your meat. There is no menu, but there are 13 types of meat served and as much as you want is available. The buffet items are the freshest and best I have ever eaten. The server will bring the meats on a skewer to you and slice portions off for you. You have a round disk at your setting that you indicate if you wish to be served, you will put the green side up, but if you wish to relax a bit, you place the red side up. When you desire more meat, put the green side up and the servers begin to bring the skewers of meat to you. We were there last week and the basic price was around $30.00 per person, this does not include drinks or desert, but if you have a chance to experience this restaurant, do not miss it. It is located at 528 N First St., Jax beach, 904-246-1580. I am not sure how it will be for you in Nov, but we always call in advance for reservations. Our son and family is visiting us in the middle of June and we have already set our reservations.

You asked about seafood for St Augustine, one of the best places to go is Osteens. Since you know where Harry's Bar & Grill is, go east across the Bridge of Lions and on your right less than a quarter of a mile east is Osteens. Be prepared to wait, they will give you one of those gadgets that lets you know when your table is ready. Go to their antique store and browse to see all the fun items they have and in no time you will be paged. Just want to make you aware, this is where the locals eat, very clean, great food, fantastic prices,but if you want 5 star, you really need to stop by the Casa Monica hotel. Even if you choose not to stay here, just walk through the beautiful area and maybe stop to have a coctail in the bar. The restaurant has a great menu and is noted in many travel books. It is very good, and I do not want to put it down, but, St Augustine has so many fantastic family restaurants, with afforable prices so locals can eat out as many times a week as they wish and still have a great meal. Much more about my area, gosh, you really got me started, just let me know if you would like more info.

You asked about seafood for St Augustine, one of the best places to go is Osteens. Since you know where Harry's Bar & Grill is, go east across the Bridge of Lions and on your right less than a quarter of a mile east is Osteens. Be prepared to wait, they will give you one of those gadgets that lets you know when your table is ready. Go to their antique store and browse to see all the fun items they have and in no time you will be paged. Just want to make you aware, this is where the locals eat, very clean, great food, fantastic prices

WOW! I thought about this place, but couldn't remember the name, and did not know it is still there! My aunt and uncle took me there when I visited them in Jax in 1974! Last time I was there was in early eighties, but I still remember those delicious shrimp!

Googled it and found these -

http://nibbleandsip.blogspot.com/2006/08/osteens-restaurant-st-augustine-fl.html

http://www.afineride.com/osteens.html

A big thanks everyone!!! Osteens sounds perfect!!! Also the Brazalian place also sounds yummy. We have one of those in Raleigh and it's such a treat to go:) I'm getting excited about staying at a different beach and also cruising out of Jacksonville.

I will check out the Sea Turtle too:) One more question, how long is the drive from Jax Beach to St. Augustine? Pretty short? Also, we'll just take the coatal route and not get back on 95 correct? I will MapQuest it also, but it's so good to hear from people who know the area. Thanks:)

If you stay in Jax Beach you can get to St Augustine by going south on A1A, this is a beautiful scenic route and it is along the ocean. It will take approximately one hour to get there as A1A is 2 lane, but worth the drive. You could get back on 95 and go south, but even though this is a large highway, the traffic through this area is always heavy. I think before I would get on 95 you could go south on US !, but given the choice A1A is beautiful. You will pass through Ponte Vedra which is where the TPC Golf Tournment is held. The entire east side of St Johns County, (St Aug) is on the ocean and you will be driving along the ocean the entire way. No matter which route you choose, it will be about an hour of travel time.

If you follow A1A all the way into St Aug you will come to a traffic light at San Marco Ave. To go into the historic portion of the city (where Harry's) is, turn left and you will actually pass Harry' Bar and Grill. The Bridge of Lions is under construction, but there is another bridge there to cross, so you do not have to worry about construction.

Also, I don't know if you are interested in Zoo's, but if you want to see the Jax Zoo it is about 3 miles past the port on Heckshire (?) Drive.

Venicia,thanks so much for the info!!! Kinda thinking we'll go to St. Aug on Sunday for the day, we'll probably get to Jax Beach on Saturday afternoon, if we leave early enough:eek:

I'd much rather do the coastal drive than get back on I-95!!

Archived