ideas for something fun to do in skagway

sira3

We are looking for some fun ideas for shore excursions in skagway. I am 29 and taking my twin sisters who are 17. any ideas of of things they would enjoy. we were thinking of the atv tour. has anyone done that.

thanks for your ideas.

We did a bike tour with Sockeye Cycles. They take you up on the train and then you bike down (all downhill with the exception of one little uphill section). I also did the helicopter with glacier landing and dogsledding. Both were very enjoyable and highly recommended.

us as well sira3.........we will be in Skagway on July 4th, (serenade 6/30/07)

and from a previous post, someone from skagway told me I was lucky because there will be a "hometown" parade, carnival type deal. That sounds fun, but we will also be there all day, 8am-8:30p, surely can't do that all day!

I know the red onion saloon is nearby, saw that on the travel channel Radience of the Seas Alaska special, but can't do that all day either (my hubby probably could though :)

Maybe we will get some ideas.....can't wait to set sail to the beautiful AK!!

You might want to look into the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari - the highlight of our trip in 2005!!!! (BTW, we're in our early 30's)

We did the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari last year and really enjoyed it! The year before that, we rented a car and drove to Emerald Lake. Would highly recommend either trip :)

We will be there on July 4th this year with our son, D-I-L, and granddaughter. I think this time we will hang out in town and enjoy the 4th of July festivities. Can't wait ! :)

Just returned from Alaska. If you are energetic you may enjoy a hike in Skagway. Maps available from the visitors info. We did Lower Dewey Lake. 1-2 hours round trip, elevation gain 500 ft. Lovely hike to a beautiful lake and better still it was free.

You might want to look into the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari - the highlight of our trip in 2005!!!! (BTW, we're in our early 30's)

I booked this for my 16 year old son and my husband. Hopefully they will enjoy themselves.

us as well sira3.........we will be in Skagway on July 4th, (serenade 6/30/07)

and from a previous post, someone from skagway told me I was lucky because there will be a "hometown" parade, carnival type deal. That sounds fun, but we will also be there all day, 8am-8:30p, surely can't do that all day!

We were in Skagway last July 4th. The parade is a hoot. It goes down Broadway then comes back in the opposite direction. Still, the entire parade barely lasted 45 minutes. The MC was a hoot. You will have plenty of time in Skagway after the parade. The drive to Emerald Lake was great.

....there's loads to do in skagway...it really all depends on your budget. In 2000 I did the heli-hike and white pass railway.....it was great, cuz it was a good hike in the middle of nowhere, then got to sightsee on the train on the way down...it was pricey though, cuz it started with a helicopter ride to the trailhead. We just got back from Alaska and this year we did the Temsco dogsledding excursion...the absolute highlight of the trip. Quintessential Alaskan experience....if you can afford it, do it do it do it!!! We scrimped, saved and argued about spending this much money on the tour, but my husband now wouldn't trade the experience for anything...his words? " Don't miss it. It's worth every penny. I'd have no hesitations spending the money again. It was FANTASTIC. Just take loads of photos, cuz you'll want to remember every moment."

Archived