Confused over deposit amount

Avariel

Last monday, I booked my mother and I onto the QE2's dec 6 cruise.

So Cunard Australia representative tells me .. you owe us X amount of dollars for the deposit.

Okay, so I go to a travel agent and get them to take over the booking since I don't have a credit card, can't pay over phone and mother will kill me if I used hers. Travel agent says .. you have to pay Cunard Y amount of dollars for the deposit. I get confused but just pay up all the same.

btw the deposit amount given to me by Cunard is slightly higher than what the travel agent says.

Then on Monday, I recieved the booking confirmation in the mail from Cunard and it states X amount of dollars as the deposit.

ARGH. they are just trying to confuse me.

The deposit amount given to me by Cunard is slightly higher than what the travel agent says.

I don't know (and stand to be corrected) but what I think has happened is that your travel agent has charged you the deposit less their commission. Cunard are (quite correctly) assuming that you have paid a full deposit to you agent and are therefore showing the higher deposit on your statement. The fun bit (if you like an argument, if not it could leave you in tears) comes when the agent tries to collect the balance less the lower deposit and you say that you've got the invoice from Cunard saying that you've paid a higher deposit! I suspect that your agent has made the mistake; as you've got confirmation from Cunard you booking should be safe; good luck in sorting it out with your agent!:)

Well the thing is the deposit was due on monday, I paid it last Thursday.

The document I recieved from Cunard is just a booking confirmation, no invoice or confirmation about payment. Am now waiting to see what happens. Have been rather busy with uni life and stuff so have not had time to settle this.

Will wait till Cunard gets back to me about the deposit payment then we'll take it from there. Or I am considering going to the travel agent with the invoice from them[T/A] and the booking confirmation from Cunard and get THEM to sort it out for me.

I'll need all the luck I can get. This travel agent is situated on my university's campus and they hardly do stuff like luxury cruises. Then again, the lady who handles my booking said that students don't usually book cruises on the QE2. *is amused* I wasn't too sure if I should tell her I am a student.

I am considering going to the travel agent with the invoice from them[T/A] and the booking confirmation from Cunard and get THEM to sort it out for me.

My advice would be to make sure that YOU know what should, has and will be paid. You should also make sure that you know when it should be paid - Cunard have a tendency to cancel bookings if they don't receive payment by the due date. You can then make sure that things go properly:)

You can get your agent to "sort it out" but I would make sure that you know exactly what the answer should be before you get the agent to try and find out. (As I've posted elsewhere I have a very low opinion of most travel agents so I hope your agent surprises me - I suspect they won't though).

Did you ask the TA the final price of the cruise? You really need to have this in writing and also a receipt for the deposit paid. The discrepancy in the deposit total is not too important as long as you are certain that it has been paid to Cunard.

Love your city Perth, I have relations farming in Wubin. You'll have a great cruise.

David.

You need an invoice from the travel agent, showing the amount of your cruise and the deposit made.

I'm not sure about Cunard AUS deposit requirements, but here in the US, the required deposit amount on a non-world voyage is 25% of the cruise fare and port charges.

Thanks for all the help.

I am dumb when it comes to things like that. Then again, this is the first time I'm booking a trip. Would have made my mother book it from Singapore but we didn't know how to get it done from over there. And so our only option was for me to book it from Australia, am studying over here at the moment. Looks like I'll be paying the travel agent a visit after my class tomorrow.

mufi: thanks about the comment about Perth. wish i could say it is my city but am only a temperery resident here. will be back in Singapore once I graduate.

ocngypz: Cunard AUS said 10% of the total amount when I called them to make the booking last monday.

Archived