Rays, Reef, Rum Pointe tour: timing re 3:30 last tender??

emd1

emd1......YIKES:eek:

i reserved this excursion for our cruise in december. we travel with another family and truth be told.......my husband would be the one sweating and making everyone else nervous. i know that i have plenty of time to work this out but i (like yourself) have really been looking forward to this........

have you posted this on any other thread to get more feedback? maybe i will:)

I've done some more searching across the net on reviews of this excursion regarding timing of getting back to catch tenders. I did not find any reports of anyone missing their tender. But I think I would be nervous if we don't get back til 3:15 or later as the reviewers below did.

I found the one below on caribbeanportreviews. It is not dated, and it says they took a van back to the port from Rum Pointe. I thought they took you on the boat back to the port, but I am not sure where I got that impression.

Robert and Angela "We booked a tour with Native Way for the stingrays, snorkeling and lunch at Rum Point. This is a 5 hour tour. What we did not account for was having to be back by 3:15 ship time. Our itinerary showed 4:30 so I thought we had plenty of time. I guess since we have to tender in and out Carnival gives 3:15 as the last tender. So of course we are freaking out thinking there is no way we are going to be back in time. DH spoke with Eldon the “boss man”. He assured us he would have us back in plenty of time. So away we went for a spectacular day. Chris and Charlie were our tour guides. The boat ride to the sand bar was about 20 min. We spent about 45 min. with the stingrays. It was a great experience to hold, feed and even kiss the stingrays. We then went to the Great Barrier Reef for snorkeling. This is a great spot!!!! I could have spent hours there. We were there for about an hour. Chris then took our order for lunch, called it in and by the time we got to Rum Point our lunch was ready. The food was great and the scenery was even better. This was our paradise. The most beautiful white powder beach and crystal clear water we have ever seen. We hated to leave but it finally came time to try and make it back to the ship. We boarded the bus and Eldon headed back to town to find the traffic to be quite busy. He promised he would get us back at 3:15 and so he did. This man took the road over with his bus; nothing was going to stop him from keeping his promise. Native Way is a great tour group and we will use them again!!!!"

This one below on cruisecritic says they got back at 3:15. There are other reviews saying they go tback earlier, at 2:45 to 3 pm or so. It seems to vary somewhat as to what time they get back:

"We did the Reef, Rays and Rum Point tour, and after snorkeling at a beautiful reef and holding a ray, they took us to Rum Point for lunch (included in the price), which I describe as a "Corona" island. Only private homes and a small bar/restaurant along with hammocks, lounge chairs and a view you do not want to leave. I would go back there in an instant. We got back to the pier about 3:15 and no one wanted to risk leaving the tender line for shopping, although it turned out we would have had enough time. "

I don't know....I am still debating what to do. We really want to go to Rum Pointe and see the stingrays. I even thought about renting a car and going to Rum Pointe and then taking the stingray boat from Rum Pointe, but the timing is bad (I started a thread on that possibility and got good info on timing).

When I asked Sharon by email about timing and wanting to be back close to the 2:45 time she quoted, she emailed back that she could assure us we would not be running to catch the last tender, but if we were concerned then perhaps we should book their shorter tour that goes to the stingrays and coral gardens and doesn't include Rum Pointe (gets back at 12:30 ship time).

You all seem to have some knowledge of this tour. I've also emailed with Sharon --I am tossing between the Rays and Reef and Rum Point or the Rays and Coral tour and then have the driver bring us back to Seven Mile Beach. My daughter and I do want beach time and I know that Rum Point is far off and has a good amount of travel time. Will Seven Mile be a good beach to see and have a chance for us to get some lunch there? If so which section would be best and where is a good place to eat. I want to get the most out of our one day in the Caymans not just spend time driving. IF RUM POINT is the better choice then we will do that.

We love the SUN and can handle it for a couple of hours! I just want the best time -- it is only our first cruise in 11 years (my daugher is 14 and she was 3 on her 1st cruise and has no memories of)

I see that cruzobsessed got a few replies about people sweating out getting to their tenders on time w/this tour. From her thread on the RCI board:

Today, 02:28 PM teajak

"We had to run to catch the last tender. Our ship did not change time so it was an hour ahead. We kept telling them that but they wouldn't listen.Six people from our ship were on this tour and we were plenty scared. The guide kept asking me,why are you so nervous.We didn't get back to shore until 3:00, had all that traffic to fight getting back and the last tender left at 3:30.We made it by the skin of our teeth. "[/url]

I'm getting more concerned now and am thinking seriously about cancelling and figuring something else out that is less stressful re timing. Cruzobsessed, what are you going to do?

emd1.....here's my dilema....we are 8 people cruising together. 7 of 8 of us would be nervous...but take it in stride and have "blind faith" that we'd get back in time......my husband would be jumping out of his skin and making everone nervous.

we were on a land vacation in bermuda and the "package" included airport transfers. what we didn't realize was the van stopped at a dozen hotels along the way and at 1 hotel we waited over 20 minutes for someone only to find that they took a cab to the airport.

we were so nervous about missing our flight that it almost ruined the whole vacation.

the reality is.....we don't know about anyone actually missing the ship but do you want to be afraid of missing it? i have no interest in doing the other tour. if we don't do this (and i'm still on the fence) we'll buy a day pass to the hyatt on 7 mile beach.

Posted a thread above. Before giving up on Rum Point -- please help with 7 Mile Beach. Which is the best beach? Where to Eat? Do you get MORE beach time this way than Rum Point. Though Rum Point sound great -- I know MY Daughter and I would be going NUTS if we think we would miss the last tender. That is not a fun way to end a great day.

PLEASE help with 7 Mile Beach questions -- so I know which of the two tours to do!! THANKS!!

I don't want to be like this :eek: either!

I have an earlier thread in here -- really need your help.

If we don't do RUM POINT and do iinsead the Sting Rays and REEF and drop off at 7 Mile Beach -- which is best section? Where to Eat? Do you get MORE beach time this way. Need to choose -- we leave in 3 weeks!

I know both my daughter and I would look like this:eek: if we thought we could miss the tender. Don't want to wreck a great day.

PLEASE HELP with ADVISE!!

Thanks

Well, conveniently, the time before our nerve wracking Rum Point trip, we also took the snorkel/rays tour. That was much more relaxing in that we had two snorkel stops and the rays. We then had the driver drop us at 7 mile beach (Sea Grape Beach). There is an open air restaurant/bar, chair rentals etc. as well as restrooms. There is no charge to use the beach, only if you use the chairs etc. We hung out there for a while and then the same driver came and picked us up at the time we mentioned (although there were lots of other cabs available as it turned out). We had time to shop a little before we got in the tender line.

You would have much more time on the beach at 7 Mile since you don't have to take the long boat ride. I think the Rum Point Beach was really pretty and the restaurant etc was funky and cool. It was fun to have lunch with the guides and it really is a great tour. I wish they would figure out how to really get everyone back at the right time though. Maybe the problem is when they have people from two ships on the same tour and they stay later for the late boat. I don't remember if everyone on our tour was from our boat.

We are going again this summer and I think I'll go back to the rays and snorkle only tour just to be more relaxed.

Ellya - Did you use nativeway? I think that I would be much more comfortable just going to 7 mile beach also (instead of rum point) with the time factor, but really like the idea of snorkeling besides just the rays. Thanks for any answers.:) Jan

If you check Nativeway's website, they do have a tour that goes to the rays and then to Coral Garden for snorkeling, then they will drop you off at 7 mile beach or back at the cruise ship terminal. $35 and 2.5 hrs.

http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/shiptours.html#coral

But Ellya, you say you had two stops for snorkeling on their tour? Did you also snorkel at the Great Barrier reef? That would be great, because I hear the snorkeling is not as good at Coral Gardens as it is at the barrier reef (where you snorkel on the Rays, Reef and Rum Pointe tour). e can also snorkel off the shore at Cozumel if we want to, as we will have a rent car to get around there (and the ship is docked there all day til 7 pm as opposed to a 3:30 tender).

We were hoping to go to Rum Pointe not only because people say it is so nice, but because my husband will really need the shade. He has had skin cancer, his Dad has bad melanoma, and he is at high risk for that. He will be covered up with a water shirt and a special hat w/side flaps that he wears on the boat and in the water w/the Rays, and have the water shirt on for snokeling. BUt for the beach I was really hoping for some shade so he can relax more and take off his shirt. My understanding is that there is no shade at 7 mile beach like there is at Rum Pointe.

I am leaning heavily towards ditching the Rum Pointe idea, and just enjoy the beaches at Labadee and on Cozumel (where we can get covered and shaded areas), and going either w/Nativeway's shorter tour to rays and Coral Gardens or some other tour, maybe the one that goes to some of the land-based sites in Cayman and then goes to Rum Pointe. I am back to researching other tours again today.

When I had emailed back and forth w/Sharon of Nativeways she said the Coral Reef was 3 minutes from the Barrier Reef and that it was very similar snorkling. I am not a swimmer and want venture out that far anyway. My daughter hasn't snorkled before but is a terffic swimmer so she will enjoy doing this anyway we do it.

For those that have been to Sea Grape -- if you can assure me that this is a beautiful beach --we will do it this way. I have some guide books and funny thing is they rate that beach higher. I show my daughter pics of Rum Point and she was like who wants trees on a beach:) !! We are originally from Long Island , NY and beach to us is sun and sand. We are now inland in Atlanta so we just want a Beautiful day at the beach and some fun thrown in. We are doing RUINS in Belize so I need to get beach time in the Caymans.

So if 7 Mile is Beautiful and less hassle -- that seems the way to go.

LORI

Lori, if my husband could handle the sun on Sea Grape beach, we'd definitely do that shorter tour w/Nativeway instead of the longer tour w/Rum Pointe...people on here seem to like Sea Grape part of 7 mile beach. Searach the Cayman board here for Sea GRape and you'll get lots of good reviews I think... I've read many posts on Sea Grape while I've been researching...

I'll let you all know what we decide to do after I research the other options again this weekend. It now comes down to this- do we really want to see the rays and snorkel, or do we want to go to Rum Pointe. I think we will pick a shorter tour that does the rays and perhaps snorkeling too, and then figure out what else to do.

We used Nativeway for both of our trips. Other than the late return time all the other aspects of their service was great!

Rum Point is a smaller beach area than 7 Mile Beach. It has more vegetation (yes there are trees). The water is shallow for a long way out and I think it is very scenic and peaceful.

7 Mile Beach lost a lot of vegetation in the last hurricane and has a more open feel. There is more hustle and bustle since there are more people there and it is also near the road. It is still pretty, but not as scenic as Rum Point. It is a much longer beach though. I don't know if there are any shade shelters or trees left from the hurricane, but maybe you could rent an umbrella there for shade.

When we snorkeled without Rum Point, there were two snorkel stops which were close together. I'm not sure what the name of each was, although one was Coral Gardens. We also stopped for the rays. I don't know if they are still doing two snorkel stops because when we took this tour in 2004.

I cancelled our Rays, Reef, and Rum Pointe tour. I don't know if we will just do the shorter Rays and Reef tour w/Nativeway (also looking at Sotos) as I don't know if they have availability for end of next week, but I have asked.

I know you cancelled but just wanted to post for anybody else considering it.

We just did this tour a few days ago. Our ship was on island time and last tender for us was 3:30.

Other people on our tour were from other ships that were not on island time and were leaving at 3:30 (which was 2:30 island time).

Well, they were definitely worried as we were getting back. And we ran into TONS of traffic getting to the port. So keep that in mind! We made it to the port after 2:30 but there were long lines for the tenders for the ships that were leaving at 2:30. So the people ended up being ok.

However, I would have been a nervous wreck!! I'm glad we still had an extra hour and weren't worried at all.

No, RCI doesn't have a trip to Rum Pointe. You'll probably be fine w/Nativeway. We just decided it is too long a tour for us and our comfort zone vs. the time our ship is in port. But I will tell you that in all my extensive searchng, I found NO REPORTS of anyone missing their last tender due to Nativeway's RRR tour. And I think if people were missing their tender, they would post on that. I just saw the posts and people being late geting back and scrambling for the last tender.

I am looking at the Ebanks Watersports tour that goes to the Rays, and two snorkeling stops at the Barrier Reef and Coral Gardens. 3 hrs. NAtiveway's shorter tour (and Soto's) only stops at Coral Garden for snorkeling and I think if we are going to snorkel I want to do the Barrier Reef.

and the day we are in Cayman it is Freedom of the Seas, another RCI ship, a Princess ship, and a Carnival ship, so it will be plenty busy on the road around Goergetown getting to and from the port area...that was another consideration.

Most of the thread is re: Native Way -- which was the Way we were going to go.. now I see EMD1 spoke of Ebanks Watersports?

Does anyone know of them -- used them before any experiences? You do see to get to go to the Barrier reef and the Coral Gardens. Both my daughter and I have not snorkled before so maybe it wouldn't even matter.. but would love some feedback on them.

Thanks

angel, I looked back thru the posts on Ebanks. Just put Ebanks in the search box on Cayman ports of call. There is one thread that says that either Sharon (of Nativeway) or a family member owns the co. as Sharon's last name is Ebanks.

There is one long thread that says that Captain Marvyn's (and one other "Captain" something co.) also has a rays and 2 stop snorkel at Barrier Reef and Coral Gardens. I haven't looked into that yet. If you put in Ebanks on the search you'll get this post on the 1st page of search responses. It's a long post.

As I said on the current thread on the main RCI board on this, a lot of people are so happy w/the RRR tour and would go on it again even w/the timing stress. I just don't want the timing stress and we can get nice shaded beach at Labadee and Cozumel, so it is worth it to me to cancel the RRR and not deal w/the timing stress there. But others have to decide for themselves, and not everyone is that bothered by the timing stress or they just tolerate it. I have a lot of timing stress in my job, and it isn't what I want to deal w/on a cruise.

We are scheduled on the RR&R tour for August 2nd. I was concerned about catching the tender and e-mailed Sharon to ask if we could move our tour time up a little bit. She got right back to me. Here is her reply:

I will be happy to change the start time to 8 AM Central Time. This will get you back to the cruise ship pier by 1:30 PM Central Time, guaranteed. The last tender back to your ship is at 3 PM Central Time.

If we leave the start time at 8:15 AM, you will get back to the cruise ship pier at 1:45 PM Central Time, guaranteed.

Sharon

I went ahead and asked her to move it up 15 minutes to 8:00 CST. Actually, I believe our last tender on the Conquest is 2:30 CST (3:30 EST). Anyway, I don't think they want their guests missing their tenders OR being stressed about it. I DO feel better now, since she said we would make it back on time, "guaranteed". :) When we get back I will be sure and let everyone know how it turned out.

Archived