Juneau Alaska Whales and Rainforest Trails excursion

Michele M

We took the Alaska Whales and Rainforest Trails excursion last week on May 17th. We booked the tour through Princess, but I think you can book directly through the company that ran the tour. Gastineau Guiding, www.stepintoalaska.com was the tour operator. We arrived at the bus and met our guide, Richard. He gave us a lot of information on the way to the boat. When we arrived at the dock about 15 min later there were restrooms available. Next we boarded the boat. There were only 5 people on the tour but the boat could hold up to 20. The side windows and door to the bow were opened when we got close to the whales. We saw a lot of whales, sea lions, an eagle, and many other birds. Our boat captain gary really worked hard to get us the best view of the whales and Richard kept us well informed.

After about 2 hours, we boarded a bus and were given a snack of sandwiches or granola bars and water. We drove to Mendenhall Glacier where we walked some of the trails. We were given lots of information about the plants and animals that live there. We also got to see a porcupine fairly close. It ended too soon and we were driven back to the ship.

When we got back to the room I realized that I left my new binoculars on the bus. I called the Princess tour office and they called me back immediately and said they had them. Richard and Jamie, our driver made the extra effort to get the binoculars back to us ASAP.

We had a really good experience with this tour and Gastineau Guiding. We would book with them again either independently or through the ship again. The tour lasted 5 hours and cost $189pp. It was worth the money

Michele

• 2 years later...

Hello,

We're booked what sounds like this same excursion. We're sailing on RCI in late June. Here is my question: If we wanted to stay at Mendenhall and hike more trails, and were willing to pay for a taxi back to the cruise ship, what would be the ramifications? The problem is that we'll be there on a Sunday and bus service ends early. Mendenhall is open until 7:30PM and the ship sails at 8PM. The normal excursion is back at Juneau by 5:15PM (I'm guessing they leave Mendenhall around 4:45PM). So here are my more detailed questions:

1. How hard is it to get a taxi from Mendenhall? How much time before the taxi arrives? What is the traveling time to the terminal?

2. We're looking at the East Glacier Loop and it says 2hr (3.5 mi, and +400 ft elevation). We are 40ish fit people and can probably shave some time off this 2 hr. Honestly, how much risk is involved? :confused:

Thanks in advance for your help!! ;)

Archived