Prinsendam Grand Voyage around Africa 73 days....3/11/2008

AWED23

Mikemo, thanks for researching the shots and visas for us.

Husband and I are going on the FLL to Capetown portion of the cruise, on the 33/38 day promotion offered by Travel with Alan out of Seattle.

In March 2006 we took a non-cruise tour to China with China Focus Travel out of San Francisco. While on the tour we hung out with an American couple who live in Mexico. The man made some comments about having a 360 degree tour of his house on the internet, and I remembered reading about such a house in Mexico on one of the travel boards where I post. The man turned out to be Mikemo, and we both posted on the same travel board, an offshoot from Fodors created in November 2005.

And here we are, pretty much by coincidence, going on another trip together, this time a cruise to Africa.

It's a small world.

Hi jujuju,

Yes it is a small world. When we were on our South America/Antarctica on the Rotterdam--we had a very similar experience.

I would love it if we were sharing this Africa trip with someone from our China Focus trip of 2002---3 weeks. It was awesome. Then we stayed an extra week with a friend. Sorry we won't get to meet since we are going the second portion of the trip. Maybe we will be in your room the second portion. Ha!!!! Would love to share stories of our China trip. Anyone who doesn't use China Focus is missing a lot on a tour---plus spending too much!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Dengue is getting way bad in the Caribbean and Coastal Mexico - use Deet/3 M's Ultrathon.

Louisa's best friend's son is an Internist/Infectious Disease MD at UT/SW in Dallas - he recommends Malaria prophy in Senegal - I'll still use Ultrathon as I have worldwide.

M (MD: NBME; ABIM; ABNM; ABR).

• 1 month later...

:confused: Does anyone have knowledge of this first Moroccan port that we come to??? I guess what I am asking is simply is it really worth it to go on the overnight tour to Marakesh?...The one day tour of 12 1/2 hours is waaaay too much time on a bus for this old codger to endure....Isn't Rick still at his saloon in Casablanca???....Is Sam still playing the same songs???....Any opinions will be appreciated.....Rob.:cool:

All I know about Marrakesh is that in the movie "Babel," Brad Pitt's wife gets shot on the highway to that city. I may go to "Ricks" instead.... maybe Ilsa will show up!
:D I hope that if Ilsa does show up at Rik's, I am there to see her while drinking my Bombay and Tonic!!!...Good to hear from you. Have you begun to look into the various ports and excursions? Rob. [Wife is a retired Speech Path.]:cool:

Well Mr. AWED my wifey started getting worried about some shore excursions booking up so she jumped online today and booked 8 different tours for us on the upcoming trip. As far as Casablanca is concerned we went with the Magical Marrakesh tour....I guess 7 hours in a bus may not be magical to some but at least we get outta the port and get to see the countryside. Maybe Crosby, Stills and Nash will be there to greet the Marrakesh Express as we pull in!

On a personal note my wife, Winnie, is a RN and my daughter is a speech therapist (small world eh?)

All the best!

Labe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just received word from my TA (getting info from HAL is impossible):

The visas for Gambia ($83. pp); Ghana ($95. pp) and Togo ($105. pp) are mandatory and will be charged to your on board account even if you choose to remain on the ship in those various ports.

Solves our logistical problems, but we had little interest in Ghana and less in Togo.

Buen viaje.

M

Just received word from my TA (getting info from HAL is impossible):

The visas for Gambia ($83. pp); Ghana ($95. pp) and Togo ($105. pp) are mandatory and will be charged to your on board account even if you choose to remain on the ship in those various ports.

Solves our logistical problems, but we had little interest in Ghana and less in Togo.

Buen viaje.

M

:D Mike, Your TA should have passed on to you in early November a mailing describing all of the Visa info. It gives a contact at the service to get the information that is relative. It is apparent that HAL has made arraingments for us to get the Visas aboard and really save us a lot of hassle and mailing of Passports etc..Also saves money. I can fax this to you if you wish or try to scan and email with my new printer whose instruction manual I have not bothered to read as yet....There is snail mail too. Any way I can help I will be glad to do. This Visa thing is great for us as we will be cruising the month of January and I was going to have to use express services with the Visa service in San Francisco. Just let me know if you wish the info. Rob.[Or anyone else whose TA dropped the ball}:)

Awed, I am booked through the same TA as Mikemo and have not heard a thing about visas.

Is the information you got basically the same thing Mikemo found out today? That we need visas for The Gambia, Ghana, and Togo? And that Holland America will provide them to us onboard (for a fee that will be charged to our onboard accounts whether or not we disembark in those countries)?

Awed23, Rob

Thanks.

I had my passport out to the US consulate for additional visa pages in Nov.

It was returned just before leaving for Thanksgiving in HI.

I need it for Turkey in Feb; my FM-3 MX visa renewal in early Mar and the trip to Africa lv here 9 Mar, so the 90 days, etc. were a problem.

Really had no interest in Ghana and Togo, but apparently, we have no choice.

Can't wait for HAL's next fuel surcharge.

Buen viaje.

Mike

Mike and ju x3-2...The packet has 6 pages and I do not type. 1 finger at a time....Most important part: www.zvs.com/members user name: holland, password: 67539 . Or call for Visa package at 1 866 788 1100...Our package is not yet up on the site. I was told this morning that it should be up around the end of next week. 90 days etc....I am surprised you have not received the package from HAL along with a 1 page letter from Stan Kruse....Maybe those of us who use our agent get better service because our agent sleeps with HAL's CEO of 20 years, Kirk Lanterman..?? LOL If you want me to mail copies of the package email me an address at: atrojaninfh@yahoo.com ...Mike, looks like you travel as much as we do. We are making our 7th or 8th transcanal cruise on Jan. 12 [Miami/ Los Angeles]...Later, Rob.:)

awed23:Rob,

Thanks, but I guess we shall have to wait for the Travel docs which our TA says will be supplied by HAL "shortly" prior to the cruise.

They are Travel with Alan at Joy Travel and Cruise a branch of Carlson Wagonlit.

M

For those booked with "Travel with Alan" for the FLL-CPE segment, just wanted to let you know that we got Hotel Res at the Radisson at SEA via http://www.hotwire .com for $59. on 9 Mar and $72. on 17 Apr.

Seems way silly to travel from here (MEX) to SEA, but the NS RT fares ($283.85 incl tax) were giveaways on Delta's partner Aero Mexico and the FF miles will buy us another round trip.

Buen viaje.

M

Judi and I will be joining the fun for another visit to places we've never seen before. We did the SA/Ant. GV earlier this year and did the Pacific Rim GV back in late '05. Looking forward to seeing many familiar faces again! :-)

...Skip

Hi, We're doing the first segment of the Africa trip with Travels with Alan also. What is CSI that you mention? I've sent an email to our agent to get clarification on the visa issue.

We went through Von's (Safeway) Pharmacy in Nipomo, CA for our vaccinations. They have you go through Prevention MD online and it's been working very well. Just wish they'd bill the insurance directly.

We sailed with HA last summer through Scandinavia and the Baltic. Great 24 day cruise. Followed that with a 2 week on Viking River Cruises from Amsterdam to Budapest. New territory for us and that was good, but we'll not take a river cruise again. It was a real comedown after HA. Perhaps another line would be better, but we weren't happy with the forced march feel.

See you in Africa!

P.S. We'd be interested in joining up with folks interested in hiring a car/van for shore excursions.

Judi and I will be joining the fun for another visit to places we've never seen before. We did the SA/Ant. GV earlier this year and did the Pacific Rim GV back in late '05. Looking forward to seeing many familiar faces again! :-)

...Skip

..MacSkip?? We also were on the Pac RIm in 2005...We may do the SA/ Anarc on the Prinsendam in 2009...We had friends (Sorensons) who took that bumpy ride around the Horn with you. It has been smooth as glass the two times we went around(1999 and 2005)...I am very happy to see that we have Frits Ghener as hotel Manager and I am pretty sure that Chris Turner will be our Captain. We sailed with Captain Turner twice last year on the Prinsendam and found him to be very personable. He had just come over to HAL from Windstar...Chef Peter rounds out the necessary trio of importance for my personal pleasure aboard. Look forward to meeting you and your wife....Maybe a drink or two in the Crows Nest?..Rob

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=678722

EVENTS AT SEA

"All the Things that Can Go Wrong On A Cruise"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The table below lists "events at sea" occurring after January 1, 2007, including cruise ship accidents. It is based on media reports, passenger reports posted at on-line boards and discussion groups, and reports sent to Cruise Junkie. In reviewing the information, please keep in mind that some cruise lines are given less scrutiny by the media than others, and it is not uncommon for events to not appear in the media. This information reflects only that which has made it into the public domain.

THE Comprehensive list of Persons Overboard, 1995 - 2007

Events at Sea Broken Down by Cruise Line and by Ship

Events at Sea Involving Ferries

For a list of Health Outbreaks click here

Events at Sea for Previous Years: 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002

To go to CRUISE JUNKIE DOT COM Home page, click here

Safety Watch -- Passenger-Documented Safety Issues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you been onboard during an "event" or illness outbreak?

Let me know, and send along photos or video if you have them.

FROM THE ARCHIVES

Ships that have Sunk, 1979 - 2007

Ships that have Grounded, 1972 - 2007

Disabling Accidents, collisions, and fires, 1990 - 2007

Events at Sea Broken Down by Cruise Line and by Ship

EDITORIALS

Is Drinking Water Safe on Cruise Ships?

NOTE: See attached letter for some background.

A Crew Member's Story follows from event in 2006

Are You Safer on a Cruise Ship Today versus in 1999? The answer is a resounding.......

Date Ship

Cruise Line Event Type of Incident

December 22

Prinsendam

Holland America Line FROM A PASSENGER: The ship was in dry dock for 21 days and they didn’t get everything done. I would say they got nothing done. The ship was late getting to Fort Lauderdale, they did not contact us to tell us it was over 12 hours late and then shoved us into the Westin near I 95. We could have delayed coming as we live in Southern FL but they assured it would just be an hour or so (we were there hours with bad, dried up, cold pasta as our “luncheon”). Lies, lies lies. We did not leave port until the next day! We got on the ship at 7 pm and there were staterooms and public areas devoid of furniture. The hallways on deck 5 and 6 were flooded for the first three days and several passengers have respiratory aliments. They still smell like indoor pools that have never been cleaned. The cabins on those decks are contaminated too. If you have to get out of the elevators on those decks, it hits you every time. They are painting pieces of the ship in the hallways (not the hallways themselves) and noxious fumes are everywhere. The ship did not pass its coast guard inspection and if it doesn’t pass it on January 3 the ship isn’t going anywhere.

Every day large areas of the ship have no working plumbing. The plumbers just drilled into the wall on the second day and flooded another deck. The lido swimming pool is still not filled but they finally filled the aft one, which you have to navigate past the gym equipment to get to. Since we left so late, they change the itinerary so that the first three days were at sea, with no pool at all. The air conditioning isn’t working right in the dining room and it is over 28C/ 80 F at dinner. And people are complaining about the food and the service. The same can be said about several staterooms. They are too hot or too cold. There is dust everywhere on the ship and in the cabins. When we put our clothes in the closet, they got covered with dust because the shelves and hanging bars were not washed down. There are queues of people at the front office howling for justice and relief, and the response is, “the cruise isn’t over yet, it will get better.” I thought how could it get any worse, but it has.

After all the time in dry dock you would think the ship was sanitized. But there are people coming down with Norwalk Virus. And tons of respiratory ailments. The ship has not offered a single dollar worth of credit. They have not offered to clean clothes for people who have placed them in dusty/dirty closets or sat on dirty outside chairs, nor have they offered to provide free of charge the medical care for those sickened by the moldy carpets and staterooms. The ship is on a 16 day cruise of the Eastern and Soutnern Caribbean.

Multiple problems

--

Not ready after drydock

Archived