What happens if they get rid of my Celebration???

martek

I have the Celebration booked for next May and I have been hearing all this talk about the ship going byby and I just wondered what happens to our booking.? Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Of course this could all be just hear say, but I am sure eventually all ships get retired and when you book so far ahead, it is kind of a crap shoot. I am sure Carnival would just give us a different choice, or maybe they will have a replacement for the cruise. Any thoughts???:rolleyes:

Nothing too exciting will happen....Carnival will replace Celebration's route with another ship and you will sail on that ship. This is just like what happened to people who booked Celebrity's Zenith, which was subsequently sold, and are now sailing on Azamara Journey. I personally don't think Celebration is going anywhere soon because she just had a significant overhaul in 2003 and Carnival makes good money off these short, try it out, type cruises. If Celebration is sold your cruise will be taken care of, its not like Carnival can legally keep your money without providing their service. so, no worries.

We sailed on the Jubilee which was in Jacksonville before Celebration - we sailed in July of that year and I think she was sold in August or September - Celebration came in then and we have sailed her twice - once last year and again this week. The staff is definitely telling people that the ship is being sold - but if you have already booked - maybe it won't be sold until after then - I would think that if they know when they are selling it they wouldn't book after then, but I maybe wrong. I really do love that ship! I just didn't like the rocky waters this week - we have never been in May before. If the sun would have just stayed out and the ocean would have ever stayed calm the trip would have been perfect!

Well one other thing - our toilet was messed up 3 days out of the 5 - but we called maintenance and they came every time and fixed it, I really wonder if the rocking of the boat didn't have something to do with that since it happened 3 days. We were on the Empress deck.

The celebration is such a great ship she cant be replaced. Ive heard the rumors too and hope they are not true. When the small ships die out so wil part of carnivals history. I hope to sail the celebration again before her demise.

Hoping she does stay in Jacksonville, as we also booked for this November. We have not sailed this class of ship and are really looking forward to it as it gets such high marks from almost everyone who posts:)

We were booked on the Carnival Spirit repositioning from San Diego to Miami many years ago when Carnival made the decision to keep the ship on the west coast, we were just refunded our deposits as there was not a cruise to replace it with:(

I have the Celebration booked for next May and I have been hearing all this talk about the ship going byby and I just wondered what happens to our booking.? Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Of course this could all be just hear say, but I am sure eventually all ships get retired and when you book so far ahead, it is kind of a crap shoot. I am sure Carnival would just give us a different choice, or maybe they will have a replacement for the cruise. Any thoughts???:rolleyes:

I was booked on the Legend for this upcomming 9 day Christmas New Years cruise. Now the legend and the Miracle have switch ports. So Carnival moved my reservation over to the Miracle. Same cabin same deck, just a different ship. Carnival will take care of you

They will take care of you.Why lose money they have in the bank. It will be good to get rid of that heap and bring in something new.

Next we need to loose the Holiday.

They will take care of you.Why lose money they have in the bank. It will be good to get rid of that heap and bring in something new.

Just to conferm things, the Celebration HAS been sold. do not know tohout she has been sold.

Is there another ship that can sail under that bridge in Jax????

Cool experience!

In the past when a larger ship was sailing out of Jacksonvillle, they had to wait for low tide. They have some pics of that in the VIP lounge.

There was also talk about moving the port to the other side of the bridge.

As you can see by my sig, I've been on the Celebration many times and hope to again!

I am really, really hoping they will wait 'til after our November cruise:) From all I've heard about this ship, I hope I get to sail her before she's gone from Jacksonville.

You dont have a list of ships you've cruised, but if you have cruised the celebration you must not like cruising. How anyone can call the celebration a heap is beyond my imagination. The celebration could best be described as wholesome. Carnivals charm will die with the celebration. Not on any ship they have left and yes the holiday is going too, will you get the intimacy with your fellow cruisers that you get on the celebration. Unfortunlately I discovered cruising too late and only got one voyage on her but I was definitely planning more. She is not a heap.

You dont have a list of ships you've cruised, but if you have cruised the celebration you must not like cruising. How anyone can call the celebration a heap is beyond my imagination. The celebration could best be described as wholesome. Carnivals charm will die with the celebration. Not on any ship they have left and yes the holiday is going too, will you get the intimacy with your fellow cruisers that you get on the celebration. Unfortunlately I discovered cruising too late and only got one voyage on her but I was definitely planning more. She is not a heap.

I have over 30 cruises and I have sailed all the old Carnival ships and even all the Fantasy class ships which are also seeing their age.

We are evolving, and so does the ships we sail on.We now even have a bowling alley at sea to add to the list of options.We even charge to eat on certian ships for a better experience.

Would you want to fly on a 737 built in 1982 or a new 757 Superliner built in 2006?

Safety is also a factor, newer is safer as a rule.Look at the Sea Diamond, one big scrape and it sunk.Look at the SS Norway , boiler blew up and killed people.

As time progresses, ships are scraped,sold,and refitted. If you asked many people you might find that the new ships are prefered.I will start a poll and find out.

I have over 30 cruises and I have sailed all the old Carnival ships and even all the Fantasy class ships which are also seeing their age.

We are evolving, and so does the ships we sail on.We now even have a bowling alley at sea to add to the list of options.We even charge to eat on certian ships for a better experience.

Would you want to fly on a 737 built in 1982 or a new 757 Superliner built in 2006?

Safety is also a factor, newer is safer as a rule.Look at the Sea Diamond, one big scrape and it sunk.Look at the SS Norway , boiler blew up and killed people.

As time progresses, ships are scraped,sold,and refitted. If you asked many people you might find that the new ships are prefered.I will start a poll and find out.

What people are saying is that the older, smaller ships have a character and an ambience that the newer, larger ships can't replicate, and they appreciate that. Just because they are not your preference doesn't necessarily make them a floating dung heap. It's not all about YOU, you know.

Vacationers continue to book cruises out of Mobile on Carnival Cruise Lines Holiday as far out as a year, but several signs point to the cruise ship, the oldest and smallest in Carnival's fleet, being replaced by a larger ship as early as November.

Mayor Sam Jones and Al St. Clair, director of the Alabama Cruise Terminal, were in talks with Carnival officials last week, and some industry watchers have said the Holiday will likely be involved in Carnival's plans to shift vessels to a business partner in Spain.

Miami-based Carnival Corp. &plc has taken delivery on four new ships this year, and has 16 more on order for delivery by 2011. When a cruise line puts new ships in service, it typically creates a domino effect as old ships are cycled out of the lineup.

More significant is Carnival's new partnership with Orizonia Corporacion, a Spanish travel company positioned to serve a growing industry there. In announcing the partnership, Carnivals said that it anticipated building the Spanish company’s fleet with vessels in the Carnival line.

Jennifer de la Cruz, Carnival spokeswoman, declined to say which ships, or how many, would be transferred. But Oivind Mathisen, editor of New York-based industry magazine Cruise Industry News, said Carnival’s two oldest ships, the Holiday and the Celebration, are the most likely candidates.

Terry Horne, a seasoned cruiser from Hueytown who sailed on the Holiday earlier this month, told the Press-Register that crew members said the Holiday is probably headed to Spain, and will be replaced by a larger ship around November.

We've sailed on all the different Carnival class ships except the Holiday and Celebration. I love the newer ships, but also really do think that the service is a little more people oriented and friendlier on the smaller older ships. Just hope we do get to sail the Celebration in November:) :) :) It's the closest to home, unless something comes to Norfolk permanently.

As an airline employee I have to respond to this one....

The 757 "superliner", as you call it, is a 25 year old design that ceased production in 2005. The 737 was introduced in the early 60's, with the "current" generation 737's (737-300, -400, and -500 models) indroduced in 1982 and production running until late 90's. The 737 "Next Generation" models (the -600, -700, -800, -900) were introduced starting in 1997, with well over 2000 of them currently in service. This means that your "old" 737 has greater than a 50% chance of being newer than your 757"superliner", not to mention that the interior cross section of the 707, 727, 737, abd 757 is identical (6 abreat seating, 17.75" wide seats in coach). The average passenger would not know the difference between any of the above mentioned aircraft....

Comparing a 20 year old ship with a 20 year old airplane is like apples to oranges. There is no similarity except that a properly maintained 20 year old aircraft or cruise ship is just as safe as a brand new one.

Don

What people are saying is that the older, smaller ships have a character and an ambience that the newer, larger ships can't replicate, and they appreciate that. Just because they are not your preference doesn't necessarily make them a floating dung heap. It's not all about YOU, you know.

This has been a problem ship and has blood on her hands since its start.It is the way big business is run,out with the old, in with the new.If you want to sail it, it will still be available just thru another operator.As far as CCL is concerned, it is the second oldest ship in the fleet.

Different strokes for different folks. I love cruising and I was on her 11 years ago. I wouldn't ever sail her again (or the Holiday). I wouldn't say she was a heap, but I was not impressed - can't imagine what she looks like 11 years later. I had a great cruise, but I was very disappointed in the Celebration. Of course, at the time, my only other cruise was the brand new at the time Imagination. When I was on her, Celebration had just gone through a major refurb due to a fire in June 1995, so I guess I expected more. I missed the Atrium, I thought the decor was too dark, too many things that looked way too worn, et. I was just on the Imagination again - she looks great, and she's about to go into dry dock, so I can't wait to see how they improve her with the Evolutions of Fun!

. When I was on her, Celebration had just gone through a major refurb due to a fire in June 1995, so I guess I expected more.!

That fire was terrible:eek: . They drifted for 2 days with no power or anything.I got off the week before.

This ship slammed into a cargo ship sinking it and killing a few people.

It had another fire,several engine issues and I think this was the one that hit bottom and hundreds of gallons of oil came out in St.thomas I think it was.

Archived